Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What went wrong

Options
  • 04-01-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I made a Chicken and Mushroom Pie last night with the following ingredients:
    25g butter 225g button mushrooms, halved 250g mascarpone or full-fat cream cheese 150ml semi-skimmed milk 1/2 tsp English mustard 500g cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives 300g ready-made puff pastry salt and freshly ground black pepper

And these are the instructions I stuck to:
    1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas 6) and place a baking sheet inside to heat. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and gently cook the mushrooms for 4–5 minutes until tender. 2. Beat the mascarpone or cream cheese in a bowl until softened. Reserve 2 tbsp of the milk, then mix the rest into the cheese with the mustard to make a thick sauce. Add the chicken, chives and the mushrooms with their juices to the cheese mixture. Season to taste, then spoon the mixture into a 1 litre pie dish. Place a pie funnel or an upturned ovenproof china eggcup, if you have one, in the middle of the filling to support the pastry lid. 3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface so that it is about 5cm larger all round than the pie dish. Cut off a 3cm strip around the edge, then press this strip on to the rim of the pie dish. Lightly brush with water, then lift the pastry lid on top, pressing the edges together to seal. 4. Trim the excess pastry, pinch to seal, then ‘flake’ the edges (see below). Re-roll the pastry trimmings and cut out leaves to decorate and stick them onto the pastry lid with a little of the reserved milk. Glaze all over with the remaining milk and cut two slits in the top to allow steam to escape. 5. Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake for 25–30 minutes or until the pastry is nicely puffed and golden brown. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving, sprinkled with pepper.

When I took the pie out of the oven the cream cheese/milk combination had split, anybody have any reasons to why this happened. I put the cream cheese and milk into a blender, would this have made a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think it's just a poor recipe - beware of taking recipes from the internet.

Better off making a roux based sauce with stock and milk for a pie like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

AEH1984 wrote: »
    I made a Chicken and Mushroom Pie last night with the following ingredients:
    25g butter 225g button mushrooms, halved 250g mascarpone or full-fat cream cheese 150ml semi-skimmed milk 1/2 tsp English mustard 500g cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives 300g ready-made puff pastry salt and freshly ground black pepper

And these are the instructions I stuck to:
    1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas 6) and place a baking sheet inside to heat. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and gently cook the mushrooms for 4–5 minutes until tender. 2. Beat the mascarpone or cream cheese in a bowl until softened. Reserve 2 tbsp of the milk, then mix the rest into the cheese with the mustard to make a thick sauce. Add the chicken, chives and the mushrooms with their juices to the cheese mixture. Season to taste, then spoon the mixture into a 1 litre pie dish. Place a pie funnel or an upturned ovenproof china eggcup, if you have one, in the middle of the filling to support the pastry lid. 3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface so that it is about 5cm larger all round than the pie dish. Cut off a 3cm strip around the edge, then press this strip on to the rim of the pie dish. Lightly brush with water, then lift the pastry lid on top, pressing the edges together to seal. 4. Trim the excess pastry, pinch to seal, then ‘flake’ the edges (see below). Re-roll the pastry trimmings and cut out leaves to decorate and stick them onto the pastry lid with a little of the reserved milk. Glaze all over with the remaining milk and cut two slits in the top to allow steam to escape. 5. Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake for 25–30 minutes or until the pastry is nicely puffed and golden brown. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving, sprinkled with pepper.

When I took the pie out of the oven the cream cheese/milk combination had split, anybody have any reasons to why this happened. I put the cream cheese and milk into a blender, would this have made a difference?

Have to agree with the beer revolution. Sounds a poor recipe. +1 for the roux base instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Can't imagine mascarpone working in something like that TBH

Advertisement