Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senate Reform & the Corporate State/Interest Groups/Political Parties

Options
  • 04-01-2011 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

The senate reform buzz is very confusing.

In our constitution it allows for sectoral representation based on sectoral/interest group style politics based on an almost "fascist" style system of representation.That is not a bad thing because democracy was not accepted as a political system.

So rather than being a repositary for unelected TD's etc you were to have farmers reps, worker reps etc.

It seems to me then, if the senate were to have a role you should get rid of political parties and adopt a different model.

You could also drop this corrupt interest group based clientistism with the civil service and if groups unions, nurses , womens rights want representation then they do it via their appointed partisan senator.

You may then get a body open to scrutiny rather than our current system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The way I see it we should change to a more federal style of bicameralism.

I know we are not a federation but I believe this system could work (similar to Japan's system).

The Dáil is the lower house and should remain that way... keep the system the same there. However, change the election procedure to MMP

The Seanad as the upper house should have one member elected from each of the 26 counties. The voting should resemble the German Bundesrat and employ a degressive proportionality system based on population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

That is fine -but in Ireland we have developed a Corporate State and Interest Group based Clientism.

I did a bit of posting on Whitaker thread in History.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056127781

My point is that if you have active interest groups bypassing the democratic checks and balances why not have it explicit rather than hidden.

If you want to increase democracy accountability .

So why not give recognition to the Interest Groups -just say the feminist/womens movement or the public service unions - why cant they have representation.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate...&Ex=All&Page=3

Quote:
    Senator Ivana Bacik:
    [..]
    This week, we are fortunate to receive a visit from Baroness Jean Corston from the British House of Lords who produced a very radical report last year on women in prison and who recommended, after a very thorough review, that prison places for women should essentially be abolished and that there should just be a small number of small detention units for women. Otherwise, alternative sanctions should be used. We could very much learn from the lessons of that report.

I am happy to say that Baroness Corston will be visiting Leinster House on Thursday. Deputy Mary O’Rourke and I are hosting a meeting with her for all women Members of the Oireachtas. I am sorry that we cannot invite any male colleagues interested in this issue to the briefing with Baroness Corston.

Senator David Norris: info.gifzoom.gif Why not?

Senator Ivana Bacik: info.gifzoom.gif I would be happy to meet them to discuss the issues at another time.

We have people making decisions about policy without being accountable and that cant be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Well, here is one for the books.

If the next election is to be about reform -lets reform :D

But currently, what Bruton is saying is that our political democracy by elections is a myth and that civil servants call the shots and the Dail rubber stamps their decisions.
    Bruton condemns political system
    (UKPA) – 20 hours ago
    Former Taoiseach John Bruton has claimed that Ireland is run by civil servants who use TDs and Senators to administer their rule.
    In a scathing attack on the political system, he also suggested countless corruption tribunals were necessary because Government ministers are not fully answerable to the Dail.
    Mr Bruton insisted a new referee-type chairman was needed in the Dail to order Cabinet members to properly respond to questions and make sure planned laws are wholly debated. The ex-European Union ambassador to the United States also admitted he did not do enough during his three years as Taoiseach to reform how Ireland is run.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gCzGVlHiLcFPcZqmMyHwGWxrXEow?docId=N0012881294322751405A

Advertisement