Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why? *distressing pics*

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

EGAR wrote: »
    I had an OTTB with sweet itch (since re-homed) - I tried conventional vet treatment etc but she didn't improve until I started feeding her Wendal's Stop Itch.

Some horses can have allergies to the likes of Silver Birches, it can present as similar to sweet itch. A scraping would confirm what it was.

Good to hear she got rehomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

In case of an allergy the stop itch would not have worked and yes, she had a scraping done, as I already said she was conventionally treated first.

No, he will not get a bath yet as he got spot on, makes little sense to wash it off again. And he doesn't scratch anymore since he got the injection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

In case of an allergy the stop itch would not have worked and yes, she had a scraping done, as I already said she was conventionally treated first.

No, he will not get a bath yet as he got spot on, makes little sense to wash it off again. And he doesn't scratch anymore since he got the injection.

Sorry EGAR I was'nt questioning your treatment at all, I was just looking for some advice on my dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My little guy got another area on his nose which was getting bigger. As a precaution I treated him with Advocate on Sunday & the improvement is dramatic. It could be coincidence but it is the second time that this has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

is it just mange he has or is there more hidden problems? he's got the makings of a beautiful staffie x. looks a bit nervous but who'd blame him

• Advertisement

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Sorry EGAR I was'nt questioning your treatment at all, I was just looking for some advice on my dog.

Sorry if it came across gruff, I was dead tired last night.

If it is Demodex mange then the immune system is usually compromised in some way and needs boosting. Feel free to PM me if you want.

is it just mange he has or is there more hidden problems? he's got the makings of a beautiful staffie x. looks a bit nervous but who'd blame him

No, just untreated mange gone on too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Sure sweet itch is an allergy as well? (reaction to midges saliva) Ignore if I'm rambling.

Is the dog feeling better now.

I got the herbal supplement specifically for Sweet Itch. She had even been on steroids before that with no success, not even the slightest improvement.

163983_498905445888_169411475888_6116586_6294988_n.jpg

He has stopped scratching completely now, eats like a horse and all he does apart from that is sleep.. and sleep. He is a lovely little fella :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How long does treatment usually go on for? Is it a case of never can tell?

It really depends on the individual animal IMHO. Phoenix is young and will bounce back more quickly I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Egar,he's a very lucky doggie to end up with you. Look at that little face! He's adorable :)

Update on Phoenix:

He is in foster with a boardsie ;) since Sunday and is doing very well. Not as wrinkly anymore either and he is being pampered in the foster home :)

165101_184767414880728_100000424117521_591058_7163992_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Update on Phoenix:

He is in foster with a boardsie ;)

Me thinks I recognise those floor tiles and those paws from pictures on another thread, me and my photographic memory ;):D

Is anything ever really anonymous?:p Fair play to you 'anonymous' boardsie :)

<Always a chance I'm wrong of course!>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

how can people do this? I don't even have a pet but the my neighbours cat likes to hang around my house and has taken a shine to me. I can't even say no to him when he's pawing at the windows trying to get in :( how some people can do awful things like this is beyond me. well done on taking him in and getting him seen to. gorgeous dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

So glad Phonenix got a happy ending, he looks so cute in that picture staring up at the camera. If only all dogs got that happy ending.

Me thinks I recognise those floor tiles and those paws from pictures on another thread, me and my photographic memory ;):D

Is anything ever really anonymous?:p Fair play to you 'anonymous' boardsie :)

<Always a chance I'm wrong of course!>

Lol, she can out herself if she likes ;)

This little man was doing so well, he had a fine covering of hair growing back and his skin seem healed. Bald but healed.

We suffered a set back yesterday. He has broken out in sores caused by a secondary bacterial infection. He's now on a course of antibiotics.

Something I was warned could happen, but a disapointment all the same.

If you want to keep up with his treatment, his recovery and his antics he has his very own FB page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001981871592

********drum roll**********

Whispered is out of the closet ;).

• Advertisement

Finally! lol

I'm hoping more people join up to his FB page. More people, more support, more suggestions and perhaps more donations towards his recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

Just saw the poor dog this is rampant all over the country all the animal shelters have to deal with advanced and painful mange. Ghandi said that the state of our animals and the way we treat them is indicative of the state of our society....... we are truly in a bad state here in Ireland broke and morally bankrupt. i volunteer in a shelter in my area and I hate humans as a result especially the travellers who are the cruelest of all.

*sigh*

Another backwards step. Poor fella ended up in the vets today, under sedation to undergo a biopsy. He seems to be fighting the mange mites pretty well, with their numbers drastically decreased, but his skin keeps breaking out in sores. This is despite 2 bed changes a day, a bath every 3 days, the best of the best holistic food, a few different supplements, aloe and silcox base cream rubs and loads of rest.

He's currently at home, hopefully asleep (unless my OH is still up in which case he's at home running amok). He's such a little trooper. I really really just want him to feel better and comfortable. What an lovely little personality he has. Full of cuddles. Although not really sure how to play. You get down onto the floor to play with him and he just wants to sit on you. :D

On a good note. Despite the skin infections, the vet is convinced there are signs of improvement in his hair growth.

He was taking pics of him today. Apparently the worst case he has seen. He's warned me it's going to be a long road to recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Aw the poor little chap. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

the poor sod hopefully with time he'll improve...well done on all the work your doing for him..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I've just sent Phoenix a friend request on FB!! I hope he has time to check his page soon, would like to keep up with his progress, hope is doing and feeling better

Phoenix just added you! Can you send a PM and say hi so he knows who you are. :)

Advertisement