Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless Man with Golden Radio Voice

• 04-01-2011 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Feel free to move this mods but thought it was somewhat related to radio and makes a bit of a break from all the complaining on here (much as I love it :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wow nice voice alright. Sad story though. :(

There's something funny going on with the youtube page its on, only 300 views but 6000 'likes'...whats going on? This video going viral or something?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

I'm guessin so, I'm wondering if it could be related to people liking it on facebook maybe? Or else it's just a glitch perhaps.

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    I'm guessin so, I'm wondering if it could be related to people liking it on facebook maybe? Or else it's just a glitch perhaps.

Its going viral alright.

Look at the amount of comments being added!! I've got a feeling this guy won't be homeless for much longer. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Fecking hell, his voice is amazing. It's odd to hear someone chatting away casually to the camera with a voice like that. I really hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    Feel free to move this mods but thought it was somewhat related to radio and makes a bit of a break from all the complaining on here (much as I love it :) )

It's grand... if you hadn't posted it, I would have! I posted it to facebook just five minutes before! The break from the complaining is quite welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It's gone viral on reddit, the guy has been offered a job on a radio station after someone donated 15k towards his salary.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/evz04/homeless_man_wgolden_radio_voice_in_columbus_oh/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have an idea.. remember this movie..

MV5BMTc0ODg5NjYwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU5MzY0MQ@@._V1._SX347_SY500_.jpg&t=1

Give him Tubridy's job and put Tubridy on the street...

But the bum doesn't have relations in RTE/FF...he'd stick out like a sore thumb around Montrose!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I bet you one dollar it can't be done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

As usual the voice never matching the perceived face!

• Advertisement

FINAL UPDATE FOR 1/4/11 No news on Ted's info yet. Ted will be on the The Morning Zoo at 7:15am EST tomorrow (1/5/11). I am hoping to be in contact with Dave & Jimmy, the RJs for the show afterwards to get Ted's contact information so we can get the plethora of donations to him! I'll update info as soon as I get it!

Finally, I'm going to contact Dave and Jimmy and ask if they'll take a picture of Ted holding a "Hi Reddit" sign, let's cross our fingers for that!!! Everyone, you are amazing! I'm slightly exhausted from all the updating, but it was better than work today :P

Columbus area redditors WTFppl provided good suggestions on how we can track down Ted Williams. If anyone finds Ted:

* Let him know about Reddit
    * Tell him that several tens of people have asked for his business
    * Ask him for any contact information he may have (a shelter address, a friends address, etc)
    * Get a picture with him holding a sign saying "Hi Reddit" with the days date!

Let's do this Columbus!

UPDATE: An anonymous listener of a radio morning talk show in Columbus offered $15,000 to have the show hire this man for the show

UPDATE2: I just spoke with Doral Chenoweth, the photographer/videographer who shot this piece for The Columbus Dispatch. He informed me that Ted can usually be found at the Hudson ramp off of I-71 South (for those of you who live in Columbus). If anyone in the Columbus area can check him out, hopefully we can find a way to contact him (Doral said he did not learn where Ted lives, but Doral knows there are no nearby homeless shelters). Also, Doral was an awesome guy on the phone, he told me his wife is carrying around a restaurant gift certificate in her car for Ted in hopes she'll see him again. If anyone needs any photography/videography work, look him up Doral on the internets here or here.

UPDATE3: I received an e-mail from the the radio jocks who featured the sound-byte from this video on their show 1/4/11. They are considering hiring Ted using the $15K donation one of the listeners said they would donate for his salary. If they choose to hire Ted, they will e-mail me. They asked that I not release their e-mail account.

UPDATE4: joshfitz posted a tweet by the radio jocks, they'll have Ted's story featured on their radio show Thursday! I am going to contact the RJs again to see if they were able to get contact information for Ted that they can share!

UPDATE5: Dave and Jimmy (the RJ's that played an audio clip from this video on their radio talk show 1/4/11 where I heard this in the first place) gave the "OK" to share their information. Their show airs live from 6:00 am-10:00 am EST and can be listened to at daveandjimmy.com. They are trying to contact Ted to have him on the show on Thursday.

UPDATE6: dj1200techniques has set up a website for Ted Williams. dj1200techniques has been a redditor for over 2 years now with a fair amount of activity and karma, so I feel he's trustworthy. Once we have contact with Ted, I will personally see to it that all funds get to him. Ladyfingers has offered to buy Ted a phone, is there anyone in Columbus who can PM with Ladyfingers to get that phone to Ted?

UPDATE7: [The Morning Zoo](daveandjimmy.com) tracked down Ted! They'll be hosting Ted on their radio show tomorrow, Wednesday January 5th at 7:15am EST! The link above has a "listen live" section, so we can all tune in then!

UPDATE8: jhietter has offered to sponsor Ted through this transition and oxytechx would like to get Ted work in the UK

UPDATE9: dj1200techniques' fundraiser for Ted was an AMAZING success. We already hit the goal of $500 by a huge amount ($826 at last glance). Thank you so much for those of you who donated, but please don't donate anymore, its probably prudent to not overwhelm Ted and instead give him a fair amount to get himself established again. Everyone who donated is AMAZING!

TL;DR UPDATE Redditors in Columbus are trying to find Ted Williams but have been unsuccessful so far. A local radio show The Morning Zoo has FOUND Ted for their show tomorrow Wednesday, January 5th at 7:15am EST You can listen live at the provided link, as soon as the RJs have contact info for me they will shoot me an e-mail and I'll update then!

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/evz04/homeless_man_wgolden_radio_voice_in_columbus_oh/c1bdk0s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

Cool
    The world is getting so small , just lstening to this live feed now

MTV just offering him a job. This is magic

hahaha! the susan boyle of DJs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

This guy has just won the Media lotto . He is about to have his 30 minutes of world fame compliments of new media ... Hope he enjoys the ride and can stay sober..
    oh dear these radio show are so bad now lots of tears and God etc yuk

Fair play to him. I hope it works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Maybe its the version of the video I saw but to me it seemed his real voice was overdubbed by an actual V/O guy?

Big Tone wrote: »
    Maybe its the version of the video I saw but to me it seemed his real voice was overdubbed by an actual V/O guy?

No, thats his real voice alright. Listening to him on some radio show now.

He's got over 100 offers of employment so far. ESPN, Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, NFL, MTV all the biggies.

Great story!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

tbh wrote: »

It's a really lovely story that I hope has a good outcome for him. I just hope that he doesn't become overwhelmed by everything and end up back in a bad situation.

What a difference a day makes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Aw, it's the story as much as the voice that makes the clip so appealing. So, fair play to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Story makes me happy and sad.
    The sheer speed of developments is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Who'll play him in the movie..???..I think he's booked for The late Late show too....with his new book....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

One the Today Show this morning.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/40943737#40943396

Hopefully he'll get his 2nd chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

The guy who shot the original clip on his mobile was on with Katherine Thomas this morning - fair play to him too.

Aparently, Howard Stern is saying it's all a put on - bloody typical.

Sids Not wrote: »
    Who'll play him in the movie..???..I think he's booked for The late Late show too....with his new book....;)

Morgan Freeman for the Movie. Although Samuel L Jackson was also considered for the role, but turned it down due to other commitments.

Ryan Tubridy is busy compiling his list of questions for the Late Late Show interview.

I got a sneak preview -

Do you like being in Ireland?
    Have you ever met JFK?
    Tell us about your Irish roots.
    What drugs were you on?
    Would you like Gerry Ryan's old job?
    How do you handle the fame?
    :rolleyes:

It's clearly Willem Dafoe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The_Wire_Bubbles.jpg

Has to be Bubbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He said he's hoping to stay off the drugs and alcohol, so I'd doubt you'll see him near RTE studios.. ;)

It's a great story though, seems like a nice guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nantastic

Great story, so uplifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:rolleyes:

Herd instinct... total rubbish.

Just shows how stupid we all are.

Manipulated by the media.

Total load of cock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Great story, an amazing voice

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/aw-extends-a-job-offer-to-a-hobo/story-e6frf96x-1225983289688
    Station reporter Ben Wise tweeted: "3AW's offer of a ham sandwich and a warm shower for Ted Williams to join our ranks has been rejected by Williams' management team."

How utterly classless.

Also, anyone know why the original video with 11.5 million views + was pulled off youtube?
    Or why it might be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Also, anyone know why the original video with 11.5 million views + was pulled off youtube?
    Or why it might be?

The Dispatch claimed ownership and copyright as is their right.
    Media group in Ohio, they broke the story and owned the broadcast

Assumed they had put it up on youtube in the first place. Perhaps not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Doubt it.

With 11.5 million hits, they want the traffic on their own site.
    Not youtube getting hits and possible advertising off their work.
    The Dispatch have to make their own money, private media group

Sure there are copies on youtube anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Did i hear him say he sometimes made $25 an hour begging :eek: Thats realy bad,

Anyways the best of luck to him :)

Ted was hired by Kraft to do a voiceover for a new advert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Real heart-warming stuff, the information age has been good to some! Screw the Chilean miners, Ted Williams is the feelgood hero for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Good move by Kraft getting him on board so soon. 250,000 views in only a day for basically 10 seconds of Ted

Great story and even better voice

Advertisement