Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro-Fit for comfort and energy rating

Options
  • 04-01-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have spent the last few hours reading through similar threads but would appreciate some advice on our situation. I am organising upgrade works to my parents house. The house briefly:
    - 2 storey, detached, built in 1986, 175m2.
    - Front(South) wall is cavity with outer brick, other 3 walls are drylined cavity block construction. (presume no insulation)

We want to improve their comfort as its a drafty, unevenly heated house. The ER is less a concern but theres no question we'll get a new boiler and controls and insulate (more) the attic, and so avail of the grants. The issues arise due to occupancy (2 over 65s basically living in the kitchen at the back of the house), and the best way to upgrade the walls.
    They called out ESB to survey and they came back with a whole-house recomendation to:
    1. Externally insulate 2 (pebble-dashed) walls.
    2. Dry-line 1 wall (due to encroachment over neighbours boundary)
    3. Cavity fill for front wall.
    With 3 solutions continuity of insulation envelope is not reached. Logistically/economically its too much. im thinking a combination of smaller improvements would suit better.
    The windows are old and rickety (timber, 6mm DG), there is a large sloped rooflight (North facing) in the kitchen.
    Apologies if its a bit drawn out but there seems to be a lot to consider. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. First post so hope i havent broken any rules!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

With 3 solutions continuity of insulation envelope is not reached. Logistically/economically its too much. im thinking a combination of smaller improvements would suit better.
    The windows are old and rickety (timber, 6mm DG), there is a large sloped rooflight (North facing) in the kitchen.
    Apologies if its a bit drawn out but there seems to be a lot to consider. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. First post so hope i havent broken any rules![/QUOTE]

I agree, but SEAI Rules don't allow for part solutions, if I understand you correctly. If you apply for a grant to insulate the walls; they require all walls to be insulated. Anyway external insulation is the way to go if it's practical. Whatever you do; the plan should be to complete the whole area, Walls/ Windows/Boiler/Controls/Attic/Etc.

New boiler great job, try to fit controls your parents can understand. That way they will enjoy the New Heating system.

Have the kitchen area where they spend the most time better heated, an extra Rad / heater.

Try to have the most occupied areas zoned separate. Fit TRV Radiators in all areas, adjust accordingly.

Check out SEAI.ie for ideas.

You are very much on the mark to Insulate for your parents, as we get older we like more heat.

Once again welcome

Please post again if i missed something.

Advertisement