Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections 2011

Options
  • 04-01-2011 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2 talleyrand

The College Tribune got all this started on twitter/FB so why not here.
    Who is running for what . . . :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Not hiding behind a Nickname K Woods

Is Talleyrand so famous that he is worthy of having a fake boards.ie account made claiming to be him? And... *poof*... I just lost all faith in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

oh so real tallyrand is having a go at fake tallyrand.

internet-serious-business.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Talleyrand would never use a smiley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

VoteNo1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Not hiding behind a Nickname K Woods

Sorry Grimes, I'm not Talleyrand. Allow your blood pressure to calm down, you haven't cracked the identity.

• Advertisement

Sorry Grimes, I'm not Talleyrand. Allow your blood pressure to calm down, you haven't cracked the identity.

Ah sure its all in good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I think I'm gonna get people to write my name,draw a box and tick inside it. You know,for the lolz. :D The advertising pays for itself. I could be a shadowy SU president that secretly gets things done as opposed to the other way around.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wont all the political party hacks be busy campaigning for the GE? Goody!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

I have an idea of some of the candidates. Can't give their names yet but one of them should blow everyone out of the water! Great speaker, very presentable and well connected with certain socs.

I have an idea of some of the candidates. Can't give their names yet but one of them should blow everyone out of the water! Great speaker, very presentable and well connected with certain socs.

Hmm, I'm really struggling to figure out who Grassroots FF holds in such high esteem.

Gary, stop flattering yourself and get off boards.ie. You might have a gift for oratory and debating and your dashing 'presentable' looks might intrigue many young virgins but your policying skills are in disarray and totally redundant. This time the voters will not be fooled by smoke and mirrors.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I'm really struggling to figure out who Grassroots FF holds in such high esteem.

Gary, stop flattering yourself and get off boards.ie. You might have a gift for oratory and debating and your dashing 'presentable' looks might intrigue many young virgins but your policying skills are in disarray and totally redundant. This time the voters will not be fooled by smoke and mirrors.

I'm not Gary. And I'm talking about the UCD SU elections not the USI ones.

I'm not Gary. And I'm talking about the UCD SU elections not the USI ones.

I think it's relatively clear that you were speaking about the UCDSU elections, I mean this thread is dedicated to them, is it not?

Also, if you aren't Gary, I would ask you to relay that message onto him.

Furthermore, are you even in UCD Grassroots FF?

I think it's relatively clear that you were speaking about the UCDSU elections, I mean this thread is dedicated to them, is it not?

Also, if you aren't Gary, I would ask you to relay that message onto him.

Furthermore, are you even in UCD Grassroots FF?

Not anymore but I still go to some of the Cumann events and hot whiskey nights if I'm in Dub

Not anymore but I still go to some of the Cumann events and hot whiskey nights if I'm in Dub

Don't know what 'Cumann' you speak of (:rolleyes:) but I can assure you a Mojito Night would beat a Hot Whiskey night any time. :P

I think I know who you are! But if you are who I think you are then I am surprised at some of the stuff you have been posting over the past few days. Im happy to be learning more about you, you are a graduate of UCD so therefore not stupid enough to tow the party line simply because you have only been in UCD a few months, you actually believe what you post and there are only a few died hard DeValera Youth that came out of UCD once the D2 tickets dried up or else you are Pierce Farrell taking the piss (quite well I might add).

The Cumann is the Kevin Barry Cumann society more commonly referred to as the hated KBC which is the youth division of the Fianna Fail party in UCD. It usually consists of the sons and daughters of TD's and their friends, people looking to climb the social ladder by getting in with the party, blondes girlsand idiots. They kind of are the personification of everything that is wrong with UCD. The also rely on free Whiskey to generate interest among required grassroots cannon fodder for the society. If I remember correctly, Ogra Fianna Gael had much more attractive members.

Why do the KBC feel the need to drag party politics into a left wing organisation. The UCD union is a joke, it is not a union in terms of a union. People really don't care about it and laugh at you when your running around with black and white posters of ugly unskilled idiots. If the university really cared about student representation, Martin Butler would get off his boney old behind and reform the union to coincide with the launch of the nations biggest recession folly, the UCD Student Center part Deux. Unfortunately due to many reasons none of this will happen and the same horrible cycle will go on and on and on .......

All ex KBC members who became sabbats in recent years had serious questions hanging over their heads. Some stuff went around about Gary that cant be posted for legal reasons, that money was only resting in my account O'Sullivan & plenty more....

A good day for me was when an ex sabbat came to me and said that everything I have every claimed the union to be was true. Now for an elected sabbat to say that, someone knee deep in the political crap ... well sir that makes me smile.

Not to get away from the important topic that is the election but I'm pretty sure the biggest recession folly was the Conference Centre. Too little too late in a time where it was needed. Would have made sense ten years ago.

I'm beginning to think that over the next few months,there will be several threads of this nature shamelessly promoting either people who are running or if we are (un)lucky enough, the candidates themselves. All I know is at the end of this year when I get my degree (by the grace of God and the respective departments of UCD that I'm affiliated,strictly academic and no social clubs jargon there), I'll be unemployed.

In the words of a former Taoiseach at a recent horse run.."Might run for president, ah sure it looks great craic sure".

Grimes wrote: »

The Cumann is the Kevin Barry Cumann society more commonly referred to as the hated KBC which is the youth division of the Fianna Fail party in UCD. It usually consists of the sons and daughters of TD's and their friends, people looking to climb the social ladder by getting in with the party, blondes girlsand idiots. They kind of are the personification of everything that is wrong with UCD. The also rely on free Whiskey to generate interest among required grassroots cannon fodder for the society. If I remember correctly, Ogra Fianna Gael had much more attractive members.

This year not only were they relying on free Whiskey but also free Michael Collins DVDs. Pathetic desperation.

Personally I see KBC as the true embodiment of an American Rich-Daddy Frat Society. Ógra FF is bit like the secretive 'Skull and Bones' society which have branches in some American universities.

This year not only were they relying on free Whiskey but also free Michael Collins DVDs.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it kind of accepted that DeV, the father of the Fianna Fail party, ordered the assasination of Collins because as a Fianna Failer dev refused to accept the democratic decision of the Dail on some sort of treaty thingy.

Seems like the wrong sort of material to be handing out at a Fianna Fail rally or are they just banking on the fact that most of their UCD members dont know much about the party other than the fact that Daddy votes for them and Collins was a founding member.

Grimes wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it kind of accepted that DeV, the father of the Fianna Fail party, ordered the assasination of Collins because as a Fianna Failer dev refused to accept the democratic decision of the Dail on some sort of treaty thingy.

Seems like the wrong sort of material to be handing out at a Fianna Fail rally or are they just banking on the fact that most of their UCD members dont know much about the party other than the fact that Daddy votes for them and Collins was a founding member.

Well nobody knows if DeV really ordered the assassination of Collins but that's the way it's portrayed in the film anyway. But yes it's quite ironic. Shows the abundance of air-brains within the society if you ask me.

• Advertisement

This year not only were they relying on free Whiskey but also free Michael Collins DVDs. Pathetic desperation.

Personally I see KBC as the true embodiment of an American Rich-Daddy Frat Society. Ógra FF is bit like the secretive 'Skull and Bones' society which have branches in some American universities.

First I've heard of them using Michael Collins dvds. I'd be very dissappointed if that's now acceptable in KBC. When I was there we preferred to talk up the likes of Lemass as a great moderniser of Ireland. I understand that the economics of Dev don't have much appeal to the youth today but the way he was portrayed in that Hollywood guff "Michael Collins" was very offensive. Dev afterall was a master statesman and unlike Collins always stood by the idea of a 32 county republic.

I love how talk of something as innocent (and at this point futile) as a student election that the notion of the Treaty takes over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

First I've heard of them using Michael Collins dvds. I'd be very dissappointed if that's now acceptable in KBC.

First I have ever heard of it too to be fair . . .

The film Michael Collins has been widely rubbished by many academics, including our own Diarmaid Ferriter . . . good film but not historically accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

talleyrand wrote: »
    The College Tribune got all this started on twitter/FB so why not here.
    Who is running for what . . . :p

Where can ya find the College Tribune Facebook? I want to contact them!

Also Pat de Brun and Scott Ahern are going for President I heard!

JBoy! wrote: »
    Scott Ahern

:rolleyes:

Would he, like Gary, not have it in his interests to finish his degree.

the money is too good and the work is pretty easy

There should be a limit set on how many consecutive terms you can hold as a union sabbatical. Would put the brakes under the likes of Scott Ahern fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

There should be a limit set on how many consecutive terms you can hold as a union sabbatical. Would put the brakes under the likes of Scott Ahern fairly lively.

Leave Scotty alone. He's a dote.

• Advertisement

Student Union officiers should be allowed stay on as long as the students want them to

Advertisement