Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Read Darragh's manifesto and listen to one of his lecture addresses before you throw out crap that he's running a campaign to 'fight the clique'. That's Brendan Lannoye's campaign. Darragh's campaign is based on getting out new ideas and getting a wider array of students involved with the SU and ents. Never once is the term 'clique' used so please don't lambast him as being an anarch. Darragh is the only one campaigning for himself, and not against the others!

The second paragraph was geared more towards Lannoyes campaign but the fact Darragh hasn't directly used the term "clique" doesn't change the tone of the comments from his supporters on this thread. I'm too busy right now to go through each post and pull out each each of the link that has been made towards the others being involved in a form of clique regarding ents but if you have a look back they're there. Just taking your last post you say "getting a wider array of students involved with SU and ents" - you're clearly implying that people are being blocked currently and the other candidates are less likely to let these people be involved (pretty sure that would mean they're involved in a clique). If these are what his supporters say on boards I can only imagine what they'll be saying when it comes to the heat of canvassing.
    The european mystery tour, sports and socs ball, ucd olympics, a proper beer garden outside the ucd bar,a class rep database, a revamped battle of the bands, sadie hawkins ball, early morning screenings of the rugby world cup, the ents informations crew and more importantly not just the idea but the passion he has for getting others involved.. and they're just the ones i can think of

European Mystery Tour - Not Feasible (see earlier posts)

Sports and socs ball - Societies and some sports already have their own balls so combining them isnt really that original

ucd olympics - you are talking about making something bigger which is already ongoing

a proper beer garden outside the ucd bar - pat de brun is offering the same thing

a class rep database - more trouble than its worth to properly compile a document like that and is currently done with a conversation with the ents officer which in my eyes is more beneficial to both of them. the class reps role in organising nights is not rocket science either.

a revamped battle of the bands - revamping something isnt new

sadie hawkins ball - not sure what this is but another ball isnt anything ground breaking

early morning screenings of the rugby world cup - was done at the last world cup

the ents informations crew - not sure what this is but doubt its earth shattering

The only things on his manifesto that are any way original are the unfeasible aspects (and now you're saying his international mystery tour was also in another candidates manifesto so you can cross that out as being original).

He can have all the passion he wants about getting people involved but the reason why the ents crew shrinks during the year is because the work just aint glamorous or thanked; postering on a thursday morning with two hours sleep, flyering res in the rain, missing pre-drinking with your mates to set up the bar, sitting outside the bar in the cold missing the act because you're taking tickets, "baggin" urinals, the list goes on. Most dont like the day to day crap you have to do in ents and i really doubt Darragh has any grasp of it if he hasn't been involved.

Also, if Jamie Rath and his friends are anything like the older members of the rath dynasty there'll be plenty of them who take up the title of "hack" very very quickly.

Sanchez13 wrote: »
    I dont know who your supporting, Manning/Darcy, probably both, typical close minded hack comment there. Afraid of whats new buddy. Kinsella doesnt have the largest campaign team for nothing. The whole ethos of the students union is that anyone can and should get involved at any stage of their college careers.

Its not being afraid of whats new. If Kinsella hasn't been involved he has no idea what the job entails. Its like someone who's never played American Football to turn up and say "Jesus it looks like great craic, I think I can do it better than the current guy so you should make me the Quarterback."
    I would actually pose the argument that Darcy has been around too long, hes a night club man and thats what has ruined ents in the last few years.

If you think ents has been ruined you obviously weren't around when the last unqualified ents officer was in charge.
    Darcy performed very well at the hustings, and for that he deserves respect. He however maybe should have challenged Manning on a couple of things just to diffuse the whole "ganging up" allegations. Kinsella is by no means a debater, he's a cult hero who will challenge how things are done and fair play to him.

A cult hero ≠ a qualification to be an ents officer.

Like those who supported FF over the years, the UCD students will get what they vote for and if they elect an unqualified person they will have to live with the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

After reading Kinsella's manifesto and hearing about his hustings performance hes starting to sound quite like a Holly Irvine mark 2. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Kinsella is by no means a debater, he's a cult hero

A cult hero? This is getting a bit ridiculous.

Personally, I don't think I could vote for someone who has no experience in working with the SU. I'm not a fan of hacks; I think that a certain amount of experience is vital to getting the ENTS machinery tuned up and working properly.

Over the last few years, I think the attractiveness of the ENTS position as a way of earning money through nightclub events has become a big issue. Profiteering is rife. For this reason, I think someone who who has a history of nightclub promoting and running a nightclub, as opposed to someone who is used to dealing with promoters, would be a big negative for ENTS. An ENTS officer should deal transparently with promoters to get the best deal for the SU, not be a promoter themselves, skimming off the top. That culture, part of ENTS for so long, has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kiwi2307

Are second preference votes often called on in determining the winner of the SU elections?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sanchez13

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Its not being afraid of whats new. If Kinsella hasn't been involved he has no idea what the job entails. Its like someone who's never played American Football to turn up and say "Jesus it looks like great craic, I think I can do it better than the current guy so you should make me the Quarterback."

If you think ents has been ruined you obviously weren't around when the last unqualified ents officer was in charge.

A cult hero ≠ a qualification to be an ents officer.

Like those who supported FF over the years, the UCD students will get what they vote for and if they elect an unqualified person they will have to live with the consequences.

I agree a cult hero doesnt equal qualification, im just trying to explain the guys popularity. Im now supporting him due to the fact that he is the only one pursuing a positive campaign. If you were at the hustings you would have heard Manning, Darcy and Edel state "if it aint broke dont fix it" with regards to ents. They all concurred on the same points, even gave the same answer when the question what is most interesting about your manifesto was posed?

The ents election has become, and someone stated this at the debate, Darragh Kinsella yes or no? If its a no then id urge people to vote RON because voting for someone else simply to hamper Kinsella is a waste of a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

The stuff I hear here is outrageous. Jamie Rath is not a class rep, he knows Ozzy from home. He has no intention of getting involved with anything but the campaign. He has never threatened to walk out, that is a vicious rumour that has no base.

In relation to his brothers. They have nothing to do with this they have finished in UCD unlike others....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I agree a cult hero doesnt equal qualification, im just trying to explain the guys popularity.

Im now supporting him due to the fact that he is the only one pursuing a positive campaign.

If you were at the hustings you would have heard Manning, Darcy and Edel state "if it aint broke dont fix it" with regards to ents.

They all concurred on the same points, even gave the same answer when the question what is most interesting about your manifesto was posed?

The ents election has become, and someone stated this at the debate, Darragh Kinsella yes or no? If its a no then id urge people to vote RON because voting for someone else simply to hamper Kinsella is a waste of a vote.

His supporters are calling people who dont agree with him closed minded hacks...... Yup, real positive.

They referred to the UCD ball with that statement, because the other proposal was moving it off campus, which is frankly fucking ridiculous. It's an event that's a blow-out at the end of the year, close to exams, but it's just about worth the hangover. If you're gonna start involving travel to it, I'll just go to the TCD one........

His manifesto has lots of other things I'd hope would never happen....Mud wrestling? Ann Summers Night? The ents information crew he's suggesting seems ridiculous, whatever about the current ents crew, at least they're getting experience setting up events, but events info crew? WHUT, dunno how you're gonna keep someone interested without A LOT of free drink.

It's a toss up between someone with experience or Kinsella.

Fad wrote: »
    His supporters are calling people who dont agree with him closed minded hacks...... Yup, real positive.

They referred to the UCD ball with that statement, because the other proposal was moving it off campus, which is frankly fucking ridiculous. It's an event that's a blow-out at the end of the year, close to exams, but it's just about worth the hangover. If you're gonna start involving travel to it, I'll just go to the TCD one........

His manifesto has lots of other things I'd hope would never happen....Mud wrestling? Ann Summers Night? The ents information crew he's suggesting seems ridiculous, whatever about the current ents crew, at least they're getting experience setting up events, but events info crew? WHUT, dunno how you're gonna keep someone interested without A LOT of free drink.

The UCD ball thing is all just a new option a new idea. The other 3 all have more or less the same stuff, its no harm to have a new idea. I'm sure if he gets in and its not possible he will still do his very best for what the students want.

Whats wrong with the events stated? The crew is a great idea, why would people get involved? The same reason the college is full of Ozzy supporters cause they believe in him and everyone will want to be part of it after the effort put in, that I know for sure.

Ya and in that toss up people want Kinsella. Experience hasn't brought anything before. None of the other 3 know any secrets that Ozzy won't work out. He dosen't need expereience when he has that backing and fresh ideas.

Fad wrote: »

Fair enough he doesnt appeal to you. He wont appeal to everyone, im making the point that there is no real benefit in simply flash-voting for one of the other candidates just to deprive Kinsella. I made the reference to close-minded hacks because I was angered at how he was basically set upon at the hustings. I can assure you that im not the only one.

The ENTS Information Crew is for me one of the better ideas. When I was in 1st year I hadnt a clue what Ents was for the 1st couple of weeks, by the time i discovered what it was I felt that the organization had already closed itself off and this honestly discouraged me from joining.

If the SU is to become the open, transparent Union that has been promised for years, a new face must become involved at some stage. Ents, for me, seems to be one of the more "exclusive" elements to college life, what better way to expand numbers and involve everyone than putting an outsider with some great ideas (some not so great ideas!!) in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

It's completely feasible. UCC and NUIG have already done one, TCD are doing one next year! With regards to insurance, everyone will have to have their own travel insurance, which most of us that have been traveling in the past year will have - if you don't, it's €25 and lasts 1 full year.

Students will also have to sign a liability waiver, to ensure that they (and not the college) take responsibility for their own actions.

Edel mentioned that classes in the college already have mystery tours so she doesn't see the problem with having one. That's a bit different from saying that she also came up with the idea!

Sports and socs ball - Societies and some sports already have their own balls so combining them isnt really that original

This will be a college-wide event from law soc to karaté, which is completely original and more importantly includes everybody!!

ucd olympics - you are talking about making something bigger which is already ongoing

It's taking the newman games, which is losing a lot of momentum, and turning it into a 3 day event which also include every other faculty.

a proper beer garden outside the ucd bar - pat de brun is offering the same thing

He's not in the list of Ents candidates! We had this idea from the start, for him to have it aswel only strengthens our ability to get it if both pat and darragh are elected. The ucd bar has also said it is entirely possible.

a class rep database - more trouble than its worth to properly compile a document like that and is currently done with a conversation with the ents officer which in my eyes is more beneficial to both of them. the class reps role in organising nights is not rocket science either.

The reason this is included in the manifesto is that while talking to people around the college a load of class reps came up to darragh complaining about the way it's run at the moment, alot of them feeling lost with regards to the issues they're faced with.

Darragh proposes a fortnightly battle of the bands / x factor style event, different to the usual Battle of the bands which is held over one night. This will give a lot of time for more acts, create a stir with the competition while also raising much needed funds for the student bar.

sadie hawkins ball - not sure what this is but another ball isnt anything ground breaking

It's a ball where instead of the guy inviting the girl, the girl invites the guy! There's a few other twists aswell which lead to serious craic!

early morning screenings of the rugby world cup - was done at the last world cup

Again, no other candidates mentioned this!

the ents informations crew - not sure what this is but doubt its earth shattering

It will give people hands-on information about what's happening during the week. As opposed to hounding people with texts and facebook statuses!

The only things on his manifesto that are any way original are the unfeasible aspects (and now you're saying his international mystery tour was also in another candidates manifesto so you can cross that out as being original).

Again, it wasn't in her manifesto. She mentioned at the debate that she thought it was a good idea and that it should be feasible considering there are so many foreign class trips going ahead.

another thing as well, people are sick of looking at the same old things. Thats why Ozzy is doing so well. It was the same in TCD. Everyone wants a change. The reason the other candidates are getting so upset is because they all think they have a devine right to be Ents officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

kiwi2307 wrote: »
    Are second preference votes often called on in determining the winner of the SU elections?

No; if we are dealing with a candidate against RON. IE Sam Geoghean against RON. Its a straight vote.

Yes; If we are dealing with a race involving two or more candidates. The ENTS race itself will be won on transfers. No one will get over the quota first time.

I dont know who your supporting, Manning/Darcy, probably both, typical close minded hack comment there. Afraid of whats new buddy. Kinsella doesnt have the largest campaign team for nothing. The whole ethos of the students union is that anyone can and should get involved at any stage of their college careers. I would actually pose the argument that Darcy has been around too long, hes a night club man and thats what has ruined ents in the last few years. Darcy performed very well at the hustings, and for that he deserves respect. He however maybe should have challenged Manning on a couple of things just to diffuse the whole "ganging up" allegations. Kinsella is by no means a debater, he's a cult hero who will challenge how things are done and fair play to him.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll start with this post:

It's completely feasible. UCC and NUIG have already done one, TCD are doing one next year! With regards to insurance, everyone will have to have their own travel insurance, which most of us that have been traveling in the past year will have - if you don't, it's €25 and lasts 1 full year.

Students will also have to sign a liability waiver, to ensure that they (and not the college) take responsibility for their own actions.

Edel mentioned that classes in the college already have mystery tours so she doesn't see the problem with having one. That's a bit different from saying that she also came up with the idea!

Firstly you need insurance for the event, a waiver means nothing if there was negligence found. It can work on a class level because it isn't a proper event, just mates booking flights and if Edel thinks that they're the same then she doesn't know what she's talking about either. Its a completely different story when it comes to 300 or 400 people. Is he going to charter a plane for it? It isn't feasible and just wont happen on a large scale.

This will be a college-wide event from law soc to karaté, which is completely original and more importantly includes everybody!!

So you're expecting students pushed for cash to shell out up to €100 on their society/ faculty/ sports ball and then the same again. Even if it would sell it another ball isn't a new idea.

It's taking the newman games, which is losing a lot of momentum, and turning it into a 3 day event which also include every other faculty.

So he's going to improve the newman games. Thats an improvement of an old idea, not a new one.

He's not in the list of Ents candidates! We had this idea from the start, for him to have it aswel only strengthens our ability to get it if both pat and darragh are elected. The ucd bar has also said it is entirely possible.

If pat has the same plan then its not Darraghs new idea.

The reason this is included in the manifesto is that while talking to people around the college a load of class reps came up to darragh complaining about the way it's run at the moment, alot of them feeling lost with regards to the issues they're faced with.

So rather than spending one on one time with his class reps darragh is going to hand them a database and say there you go? Class reps making the effort to go in and discuss the issue better for both the rep & the ents officer.

Darragh proposes a fortnightly battle of the bands / x factor style event, different to the usual Battle of the bands which is held over one night. This will give a lot of time for more acts, create a stir with the competition while also raising much needed funds for the student bar.

Battle of the Bands is not held on one night, its over a few weeks with heats. Attendances at them are generally awful as well. Anyway its not a new idea either.

It's a ball where instead of the guy inviting the girl, the girl invites the guy! There's a few other twists aswell which lead to serious craic!

So another ball with a different name. Does he think students are made of money?

Again, no other candidates mentioned this!

My point was that it isn't a new idea and has been done before.

It will give people hands-on information about what's happening during the week. As opposed to hounding people with texts and facebook statuses!

So you'll have students wandering around informing people whats on?

Again, it wasn't in her manifesto. She mentioned at the debate that she thought it was a good idea and that it should be feasible considering there are so many foreign class trips going ahead.

So despite it being unfeasible, its also not original.

I've gone through the manifesto there and there nothing that stands out as being anything original apart from the camping that was shot down.

The UCD ball thing is all just a new option a new idea. The other 3 all have more or less the same stuff, its no harm to have a new idea. I'm sure if he gets in and its not possible he will still do his very best for what the students want.

So you're saying its ok for a candidate to come out with outlandish unresearched promises in an election only to ignore them later when he's elected and realises he cant follow through on any of them? Its good voters can here that now.
    Ya and in that toss up people want Kinsella. Experience hasn't brought anything before. None of the other 3 know any secrets that Ozzy won't work out. He dosen't need expereience when he has that backing and fresh ideas.

You've obviously been around UCD for a year or two and don't know what its like to have a dire ents officer. The last 4 ents officers have been experienced and have built ents up to the level it is. The last inexperienced ents officer ran it into the ground. There was barely any ents presence on campus, societies outsold every ents event to the point that ents had to be co-promote gigs with them, it damaged the bar financially (another year like that could have easily bankrupted it) and to top its all off there ended up being no UCD Ball due to lack of funds caused by the poor year of ticket sales. You should take on board that she actually had a small level of experience than compared to the zero Kinsella has.

With ents you have to hit the ground running, you don't have time to "work out" what the others already know. He'll walk in on his first day not knowing even the basics. The first 3 or 4 weeks of college is vital and if you miss this window you're in dire straights for the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Georgie1989

Fair enough he doesnt appeal to you. He wont appeal to everyone, im making the point that there is no real benefit in simply flash-voting for one of the other candidates just to deprive Kinsella. I made the reference to close-minded hacks because I was angered at how he was basically set upon at the hustings. I can assure you that im not the only one.

The ENTS Information Crew is for me one of the better ideas. When I was in 1st year I hadnt a clue what Ents was for the 1st couple of weeks, by the time i discovered what it was I felt that the organization had already closed itself off and this honestly discouraged me from joining.

If the SU is to become the open, transparent Union that has been promised for years, a new face must become involved at some stage. Ents, for me, seems to be one of the more "exclusive" elements to college life, what better way to expand numbers and involve everyone than putting an outsider with some great ideas (some not so great ideas!!) in charge.

Where are you getting this ludicrous idea from that Kinsella was "set upon" by the other candidates???????? The main topic of conversation was the UCD Ball which si the biggest event in UCD for Ents and then Kinsella hijacked it to talk about his mad camping idea.

Edel got no chance to talk and Manning was talking about Ferris wheels and all that crack, and Darcy was talking about his swimming pool not being feasible at the ball, but will implement it somewhere else. Kinsella just dominated the whole focking ting himself.

I don't know where you got this idea from. Were you even at the debate, like??

The candidates are all running against each other, why would they team up to get Kinsella??? Clearly youre a paranoid Kinsella fan and only listened to what Kinsella said.

The candidates had to team up against Kinsella on the issue of camping at the UCD ball though. What happens if he got in and everyone was talking about camping at next years ball from the moment the results of the election are announced. Then it will emerge that camping is absolutely not allowed on campus. Kinsella will lose a load of support and people will be like why did we even vote him in the first place and that makes it unfair on the candidates that ran against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Foxtrol

firstly you need insurance for the event, a waiver means nothing if there was negligence found. It can work on a class level because it isn't a proper event, just mates booking flights and if Edel thinks that they're the same then she doesn't know what she's talking about either. Its a completely different story when it comes to 300 or 400 people. Is he going to charter a plane for it? It isn't feasible and just wont happen on a large scale.

It will be ensured that no negligence will happen. As i've said earlier, it has been done before, it can be done again.... but this time better!

So you're expecting students pushed for cash to shell out up to €100 on their society/ faculty/ sports ball and then the same again. Even if it would sell it another ball isn't a new idea.

The idea of a SPORTS AND SOCIETIES ball is new! I'm not trying to say Darragh invented dinner dances!!!

So he's going to improve the newman games. Thats an improvement of an old idea, not a new one.

He's taking the foundations of the old ideas and making changes on them for the better. A lot more can be said for that than the "if it's not broke don't fix it" attitude others displayed.

THE SAME. STALE!
    If pat has the same plan then its not Darraghs new idea.

How could Darragh have known Pat had the same idea? I could turn that around and say if it's Darragh's plan then it's not Pat's new idea. The point is whether or not Pat has this plan, Darragh still aims to incorporate a proper beer garden in the student bar.
    So rather than spending one on one time with his class reps darragh is going to hand them a database and say there you go? Class reps making the effort to go in and discuss the issue better for both the rep & the ents officer.

It will be an extra port of call for class reps. Of course if their problem is not solved they can come to Darragh, or come to Darragh regardless. The main issue is accessibility and ease of access to information, and this will help a lot.

So you'll have students wandering around informing people whats on?

We'll have a number of students going around which people can ask questions to about nights out, advice on where to go, joining ents, etc

So despite it being unfeasible, its also not original.

I've gone through the manifesto there and there nothing that stands out as being anything original apart from the camping that was shot down.

If you don't see Darragh's plans as original, who's do you think are the most original?

As an overall response, when I speak of an original idea I don't mean it has been created from scratch, I mean original in the sense that it hasn't been done in previous years, and won't be done next year by any of the other candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Foxtrol
    The idea of a SPORTS AND SOCIETIES ball is new! I'm not trying to say Darragh invented dinner dances!!!

Its a stupid idea, if the clubs and socs wanted an inter-society ball they'd organise it themselves. Ents tries to meddle and muscle in on society affairs enough as it is and you can be sure most auditors wouldn't be happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Online polls probably arent the best indicator of anything but the College Tribune has a facebook poll at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=155436321184671 for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kiwi2307

Blut2 wrote: »
    Online polls probably arent the best indicator of anything but the College Tribune has a facebook poll at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=155436321184671 for anyone interested.

Very unrealible source!!! I clicked into Darcy and the first five people I saw didn't even go to UCD but TCD.

Did the same with Manning and same thing happened...

Didn't bother clicking the other two but the same story could be happening with them too..

That cannot be realied upon because unfortunatly othersiders are either be recruited so candidates will appear more popular or are inputting into something they shouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Im finished in UCD but can't see any of the candidates displaying anything other than rehashed ideas and some ridiculously unfeasible new ones.

Its been like that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

Edel mentioned that classes in the college already have mystery tours so she doesn't see the problem with having one. That's a bit different from saying that she also came up with the idea!"

Then go join NUIG or UCC and get a degree there! Point real point here is that what happens down there does not have to translate to UCD. Anyone who has ever tried anything in UCD will know you cant sneeze without having an emergency event management action plan.

The issues surrouding the TCD ski trip and the negative media attention it got will only further reduce the probability of the UCD authorities signing off on an international tour. The logistical nightmare of bringing 1000 students to 3 irish night clubs is enough. Try include airports, coaches, foreign cities, foreign legislation and foreign authorities and your into a whole other world of mess. Candidates have been promising international tours since Jame Carroll was in the SU. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Its a stupid idea, if the clubs and socs wanted an inter-society ball they'd organise it themselves. Ents tries to meddle and muscle in on society affairs enough as it is and you can be sure most auditors wouldn't be happy with it.

Smaller socs would be delighted at the idea as extra funds would beome available. Ents officers have never been accused of "meddling" if anything societies complain that Ents dont help them out enough!!

Should be a closely run affair. A student can promise great ideas in their manifestos and can be shot down due to inexperience and lack of influence. With an election to a saabat position great influence is already acheived. One of the Welfare candidates made this point very well at the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

Accosted by a Lorcan Gray canvasser today while eating lunch. She was an absolute nutjob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Brendan Lacey reacted very poorly to a question posed by Dáire Brennan of Belfield FM at this evening's radio election debate. Upon being asked, "what have you done in your role as Sports Officer this year?" Lacey attempted a reply which totally avoided the question and when he was prompted to stay on topic he became quite aggravated. He shouted over Brennan claiming he had organised this years RÁS and then said "thank you," prompting a ripple of applause from his supporters in the audience.

When he attempted to continue on a rhetorical spiel he was reminded that the RÁS had taken place last year also and was then asked what he had done this year. At this point Lacey became quite angry asking, "what do you mean, what have I done. I'm taking this very personally." Lacey's demeanor was extremely aggressive and totally unjustifiable. His attitude screamed of pretentiousness. The question was very simple and had he actually done anything this year then this listener cannot see why a simple and honest answer could not be given without attempting to intimidate the host. He has certainly lost my vote and it looks like another election where I will be voting RON.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Prodigaldaughtr

Thoughts on hustings tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Suzanne Lee spoke very very well, and I was genuinely impressed.

Not going to bother talking about Welfare, I'm invariably biased. (I was impressed lorna managed to do it though).

Pat de Brún spoke better again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Anyone know when voting opens? Just wanna get it early and have it over with. Also have a politics essay due and a German oral Wednesday so it will be a bit of a stressful day.

Oh,and not to sound like a nerd or anything but the people shouldn't interfere in lecture time. I mean they took ELEVEN minutes out of the class today in Latin American Geography of a class that is behind schedule as it is (what MADNESS!:D:D)Its clearly not enough that the vast majority,if not all the students have set up camp outside Theatre M. Hope people learned their lesson last year from when people were lining up outside there to see Roger Daltrey and certain,let's say lobbyists,supporters or what have you,were physically dragging people out of the line to vote.

Advertisement