Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Student Union officiers should be allowed stay on as long as the students want them to

Are you a current student of UCD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Student Union officiers should be allowed stay on as long as the students want them to

Oh how Venezuelan of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

Oh how Venezuelan of you.

Hardly. Why should there be term limits? If someone isn't doing a good job then vote them out. Simple. It's undemocratic not to allow people to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I'm a first year and I signed up for the KBC at the start of they year purely because I wasn't aware they were a FF organisation and they promised me and my friends a cheap trip to Amsterdam. The amount of utter crap they send me in e-mails is horrendous. As an aside, does anyone know if there is a Labour group in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

kev9100 wrote: »
    I'm a first year and I signed up for the KBC at the start of they year purely because I wasn't aware they were a FF organisation and they promised me and my friends a cheap trip to Amsterdam. The amount of utter crap they send me in e-mails is horrendous. As an aside, does anyone know if there is a Labour group in UCD?

Think so, Refreshers week is coming up soon so you can sign up then.

• Advertisement

Hardly. Why should there be term limits? If someone isn't doing a good job then vote them out. Simple. It's undemocratic not to allow people to run.

Of course there should be a limit, could you honestly imagine them running for sabbatical positions for years on end until eventually they're in their late 20's enjoying a nice salary and a soft job while being totally out of touch with the student population?

I say NO!

A majority of people only spend 3-4 years doing their degree and the student population is always being refreshed year after year. Those students have just as much of a right to run for sabbatical position as the people who've being hanging around the grand chambers of Student Union for years on end. However, the newer students normally don't have as much sway on the electorate simply because the smug old-swingers have gobbled up a large amount of support over the years. It's simple unfair.

I think students should only be allowed to have a maximum of two terms on ANY vice-presidency or presidency position to give other newer student a chance.

Yes yes yes, there is! It's called the Charlie Donnelly Society, we're the UCD Labour Youth branch. There's some interesting events organised from January onwards and we're always looking for new faces. Come join us on refreshers week! Unlike most political parties in UCD, we actually care about pressing issues not the general 'how's you're father' politics you'd expect in KBC or dare I say the Blueshirts.

You should read the Fine Gael manifesto before joining Labour. Afterall a vote for Labour is a vote for Enda Kenny to be taoiseach.

Yes yes yes, there is! It's called the Charlie Donnelly Society, we're the UCD Labour Youth branch. There's some interesting events organised from January onwards and we're always looking for new faces. Come join us on refreshers week! Unlike most political parties in UCD, we actually care about pressing issues not the general 'how's you're father' politics you'd expect in KBC or dare I say the Blueshirts.

Great. I might head to a few of those when the new term starts.

You should read the Fine Gael manifesto before joining Labour. Afterall a vote for Labour is a vote for Enda Kenny to be taoiseach.

That's getting old.

Enda for Tánaiste!

Keep in mind that Labour are stronger in opposition of the reintroduction of fees than the Blueshirts.

• Advertisement

Not to be rude, thats pure BS. A vote for labour is a vote for labour. Attack Labour by all means, but don't try and pull that trick.

That's getting old.

Enda for Tánaiste!

Keep in mind that Labour are stronger in opposition of the reintroduction of fees than the Blueshirts.

Labour will be the junior partner in the next government led by Fine Gael and you know it. Labour will follow the exact same policies FF and FG advocate as they always have when in government. They are a joke of a party. Completely gutless.

Labour will be the junior partner in the next government led by Fine Gael and you know it. Labour will follow the exact same policies FF and FG advocate as they always have when in government. They are a joke of a party. Completely gutless.

ABSOLUTE BULLSHITE!

If it weren't for the labour party being in government in the 90's legalisation of homosexuality would have come far later and free fees would have never been introduced. Your analysis of Labour 'following the same policies' as the other major parties is nonsense. Yes, I can admit that some of their policies became somewhat diluted (naturally when a liberal party is thrown in with a conservative party), but still we get the message across and don't lie to the voters like FF and FG have been so famous for doing. Remember that labour's participation in those coalitions were, at their heart, conditional.

All you're posts here on boards.ie so far Grassroot_FF have been devoid of principle and fact.

ABSOLUTE BULLSHITE!

If it weren't for the labour party being in government in the 90's legalisation of homosexuality would have come far later and free fees would have never been introduced. Your analysis of Labour 'following the same policies' as the other major parties is nonsense. Yes, I can admit their own policies become somewhat diluted (naturally when a liberal party is thrown in with a conservative party), but still we get the message across and don't lie to the voters like FF and FG have been so famous for doing. Remember that labour's participation in those coalitions were, at their heart, conditional.

All you're posts here on boards so far Grassroot_FF have been devoid of principle and fact.

More gays and free fees for the rich kids in UCD? Yeah that's exactly what the country needed:rolleyes:

More gays and free fees for the rich kids in UCD? Yeah that's exactly what the country needed:rolleyes:

Care to explain the more gays part? And no fees was designed to make it easier for the middle class not the rich to get to college.

Oh, I'm sure the people over the in LGBT forum whom you tried to beflatter so gallantly a couple of days ago won't be too happy to hear this. I quote;
    Fianna Fáil are becoming very pro-gay these days if any of you people want to get involved in politics
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056135531
    Gay people can feel confident that FF will represent them.
    Yes, I'm sure dear sir.

And of course, we shall forget about the middle and lower income earning families just because there are a few rich kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Are you a current student of UCD?

Current Student of Fianna Fail indoctrination by the looks of his posts.
    I reckon he will get a 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I'm amazed how the thread can go from SU Elections > Someone stealing Talleyrand's identity > Term Limits > KBC > The Gays.

Train of thought is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Could we not just get rid of the SU in its entirety?

They really aren't any use whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

:rolleyes:

Would he, like Gary, not have it in his interests to finish his degree.

Scott has finished his degree........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

Fad wrote: »

so he just wont leave college and go out into the real world and get a job.... too busy organising coffee mornings

Fad wrote: »

So is he even a student anymore or is he doing some sort of postgrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

... we're the UCD Labour Youth branch... Unlike most political parties in UCD, we actually care about pressing issues not the general 'how's you're father' politics you'd expect in KBC or dare I say the Blueshirts.

Back in my time in UCD the Labour Youth Branch members were busy ramming through motions in council (without debate) to have the students of UCD pay for their buses to go to a shell to sea protest. All political parties in UCD are just as bad as each other, you're just blinkered to it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Back in my time in UCD the Labour Youth Branch members were busy ramming through motions in council (without debate) to have the students of UCD pay for their buses to go to a shell to sea protest. All political parties in UCD are just as bad as each other, you're just blinkered to it.

Really? Honestly though, nobody can be as conniving as the Kevin Barry Cumann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

wow. just wow.

I'll add that to the never ending list of why I'm NOT voting FF in the next election. I actually think you are making people resent your party more by being on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

happy_feet wrote: »
    I'll add that to the never ending list of why I'm NOT voting FF in the next election.

I agree. I was originally on the fence, I thought people were giving FF an exceptionally hard time and that no matter what party was in government we would have had a similar downfall eventually.
    However grassroots has made me see the light. :) Your trolling is horrendous, your threads are pointless, your arguments are weak and ridiculous!
    If you're trying to win people over to FF you're failing miserabley and I'd suggest you quit before you give FG & Labour any more votes. :)

I know that was a bit off topic but UCDSU elections & FF seem to be intertwined at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mynameissarah

First I've heard of them using Michael Collins dvds. I'd be very dissappointed if that's now acceptable in KBC. When I was there we preferred to talk up the likes of Lemass as a great moderniser of Ireland. I understand that the economics of Dev don't have much appeal to the youth today but the way he was portrayed in that Hollywood guff "Michael Collins" was very offensive. Dev afterall was a master statesman and unlike Collins always stood by the idea of a 32 county republic.

He also loved having the Pope round for tea and the 'wimmin' dancin at the crossroads.

Some man for one man.

By the way, it's not as if the shell to sea protest was a bad protest and without a cause. It was a genuine issue unlike the made raving pissups some other societies organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

By the way, it's not as if the shell to sea protest was a bad protest and without a cause. It was a genuine issue unlike the made raving pissups some other societies organise.

Labour Youth rammed through a motion for the students of UCD to fund their own personal agenda. The validity or not of the protest doesn't matter, the point is that it was not a student issue and Labour Youth and taggers on had no right to spend the students registration fee on any part of it. If the KBC did something similar you'd be outraged. Corruption is not solely found within FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Corruption is not solely found within FF.

As far as I recall,every individual and group in UCD is self serving. It is the culture of UCD. The one this I will say for the KBC is that they dont try to hide it like other groups.

edit: Its also the culture of Irish society.

Advertisement