Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

So is he even a student anymore or is he doing some sort of postgrad?
    there's sort of a grace period in that you can get elected in final year and only take over the following september,like scott has done and then re-elections carried the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Any chance they'll let you vote online this year? I mean, if you could vote through your UCD Connect account, then most people would probably vote, right?

I mean, UCD Connect is secure (if not then why not) and all students have access to it. I think if more people voted, it would lead to a more functional union. Any idea what the current stats are on people voting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

More gays and free fees for the rich kids in UCD? Yeah that's exactly what the country needed:rolleyes:

Despite your dubious posts, I have to agree about the free fees for the rich kids.
    On the other posts, although there is corruption in many places, only the corruption within FF has sunk the country for the foreseeable future. Defending FF is what's really laughable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mloc wrote: »
    Any chance they'll let you vote online this year? I mean, if you could vote through your UCD Connect account, then most people would probably vote, right?

I mean, UCD Connect is secure (if not then why not) and all students have access to it. I think if more people voted, it would lead to a more functional union. Any idea what the current stats are on people voting?

I think voting levels are very, very small. I did hear the stats but I've since forgotten them. I'd say it is something like 1 in 5 out of the student body

Your voting idea is actually excellent and would avoid the sheer pain of walking through buildings on voting day and getting monumentally píssed off by the "Have you voted? You should vote for Johnny, he is awesome" brigade.

I think voting levels are very, very small. I did hear the stats but I've since forgotten them. I'd say it is something like 1 in 5 out of the student body.

Your voting idea is actually excellent and would avoid the sheer pain of walking through buildings on voting day and getting monumentally píssed off by the "Have you voted? You should vote for Johnny, he is awesome" brigade.

I think it was around the 3000 mark last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

4500 usually. Which is small, but like adequate. It reflects a decent cross section and its not like more will give a more accurate result tbh.

The problem with the UCD connect account thing is forcing people to walk through millions of canvassers to a polling station, believe it or not, actually forces them to listen to some of the policies and make a semi informed decision. If you were able to vote from a pc, you'd just vote as soon as you got your mates text asking you to vote, and we would literally have every single election without a doubt come down to a popularity contest. (It arguably already does but at least there is some democracy).

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Canvasser's are dickheads, I remember one telling me last year not to vote for Colm because 1) he's ginger 2) he's gay 3) he's from the north

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

First I've heard of them using Michael Collins dvds. I'd be very dissappointed if that's now acceptable in KBC. When I was there we preferred to talk up the likes of Lemass as a great moderniser of Ireland. I understand that the economics of Dev don't have much appeal to the youth today but the way he was portrayed in that Hollywood guff "Michael Collins" was very offensive. Dev afterall was a master statesman and unlike Collins always stood by the idea of a 32 county republic.

Was that before or after he caused a Civil War and swore an oath of allegiance to a foreign queen?

First I have ever heard of it too to be fair . . .

The film Michael Collins has been widely rubbished by many academics, including our own Diarmaid Ferriter . . . good film but not historically accurate.

Load of bunk! Ferriter had high praise for Rickman!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Load of bunk! Ferriter had high praise for Rickman!

Don't tell me you think the MC film adaptation is all that historically accurate? Historical content was changed in order to facilitate the film adaptation - i.e. to make it an exciting film. For example, the film completely fictionalised the real life character of Eamon Broy. In the film he was murdered whereas in reality he lived to see the 1970's. Cant get much worse than that! :rolleyes:

I hope your not doing a major in history! ;)

• Advertisement

Don't tell me you think the MC film adaptation is all that historically accurate? Historical content was changed in order to facilitate the film adaptation - i.e. to make it an exciting film. For example, the film completely fictionalised the real life character of Eamon Broy. In the film he was murdered whereas in reality he lived to see the 1970's. Cant get much worse than that! :rolleyes:

I hope your not doing a major in history! ;)

I said that Ferriter had high praise for Rickman, never said or even suggested that it was entirely accurate.

That said, and obviously not wishing to generalise, all Unionists from the north are self-righteous silly billys who deserve to be blown up by the ultra-intelligent early 20th century IRA - "a bit of Belfast efficiency is what you boys need, goodday Mr. Broy... *BOOM*"

Also, you couldn't possibly deny that Collins approached the head of British intelligence in Ireland and asked him for a light for his cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Riamfada wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it kind of accepted that DeV, the father of the Fianna Fail party, ordered the assasination of Collins because as a Fianna Failer dev refused to accept the democratic decision of the Dail on some sort of treaty thingy.

No, just a simplification in a movie full of "simplifications" and blatent untruths

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

When you're voting, remember to vote for..

that_guy.gif

..THAT GUY!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

On the note of the actual student elections.

Does anyone know any candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

errlloyd wrote: »

This guy, vote #1

clifftra.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

We wont know who is officially contesting them until the 4th of March. When registration of candidates closes.

No, just a simplification in a movie full of "simplifications" and blatent untruths

"Full of?" Broy wasn't hanged, there were no car bombs, Boland did not die in the way portrayed in the movie. To claim it's full of untruths is outrageous. How was Jordan supposed to make it entirely accurate, other than making a 5 and a half year long movie? :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Pat De Brun for President and I cannot remember their names but 3 women are running for Welfare.

http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2011/02/de-brun-to-run-for-su-president/
    Nominations for this year’s Students’ Union elections are currently underway. Over the coming weeks, students will be provided with manifestos and statements from the sabbatical candidates, which will outline their aims for the year ahead in an attempt to gain student confidence and votes.

The positions for election are Union President, Welfare Vice-President, Campaigns and Communications Vice-President, Education Vice-President and Entertainments (Ents) Vice-President.

Thus far, candidates include Edel Ní Churraoin for Ents, Brendan Lacey for Campaigns and Communications and Rachel Breslin for Welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Pat De Brun for President and I cannot remember their names but 3 women are running for Welfare.

Rachael something or other, Regina Brady and Lorna something or other.....

Brendan Lacey is apparently going for C&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Fad wrote: »
    Rachael something or other, Regina Brady and Lorna something or other.....

Brendan Lacey is apparently going for C&C.

Rachel Breslin and Lorna Danaher :)

• Advertisement

I take great pleasure in not knowing who any of these candidates are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I hope Ents gets contested. We need a contested Ents and Welfare is going to a tight election. I haven't heard any names for Education though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

unknown13 wrote: »
    I hope Ents gets contested. We need a contested Ents and Welfare is going to a tight election. I haven't heard any names for Education though.
    I'd prefer a contested Presidential election, tbh... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

If no one else will, I'll run for President. Its my final semester, I have loads of essays and oral exams, so I'll need an army of voters and about €300,000 in (un)embezzled funds to pull it off.Not a careerist,not directly affiliated with anything, so I would be just about the only one worth trusting. And I'm not even one of those nutjobs who write to prime ministers 20 years after they're dead.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fedup2011

unknown13 wrote: »
    We wont know who is officially contesting them until the 4th of March. When registration of candidates closes.

Looks like we're in for a rollercoster of a ride this year!! All positions contested and contested well! A lot of new faces too!! Brilliant!

President
    Gray, Lorcan
    Lannoye, Brendan
    DeBrun, Pat

Campaigns & Communications
    Lacey, Brendan
    Lee, Suzanne
    Fortune, Emma

Education
    Doyle, James
    Fox, Jennifer Anne
    Geoghegan, Sam
    Gilhooley, Aine

Ents
    Darcy, Stephen
    Kinsella, Darragh
    Manning, Robert
    Ni Churraoin, Edel

Welfare
    Breslin, Rachel
    Danaher, Lorna
    Brady, Regina

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Fedup2011 wrote: »
    Looks like we're in for a rollercoster of a ride this year!! All positions contested and contested well! A lot of new faces too!! Brilliant!

President
    Gray, Lorcan
    Lannoye, Brendan
    DeBrun, Pat

Campaigns & Communications
    Lacey, Brendan
    Lee, Suzanne
    Fortune, Emma

Education
    Doyle, James
    Fox, Jennifer Anne
    Geoghegan, Sam
    Gilhooley, Aine

Ents
    Darcy, Stephen
    Kinsella, Darragh
    Manning, Robert
    Ni Churraoin, Edel

Welfare
    Breslin, Rachel
    Danaher, Lorna
    Brady, Regina

yay

Lorcan Gray will get my first ever non-RON vote for president.

Is that the same Jennifer Fox who is Trinity education officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fedup2011

dyl10 wrote: »
    Lorcan Gray will get my first ever non-RON vote for president.

Is that the same Jennifer Fox who is Trinity education officer?

Different Jennifer Fox. Trinity education officer is however running for the position of USI Education Officer.

That D'Arcy fella running for ents started the same year as me in UCD doing the exact same course and subject. (B.A.,2006) Now maybe he went on an erasmus or did a masters but I think after 5 years in college its time to move on and not hang on in for another year by going for a job in the SU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Are there any UCDSU candidates this year that are involved or have been previously involved in youth political wings?
    - Thought it would be interesting ...

Advertisement