Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

JBoy! wrote: »
    Every Ents officer has promised an online calendar and place where people can make suggestions. Look at the state of the Ents website at the moment, it cost 10,000euro to build!... its in the budget... some web designer got very very lucky!

....I wonder if any of the candidates will promise a more accountable, transparent and effective union, that works for the regular student?

I would say that most students don't even know about that Ents site at the moment.

We want an Ents that supports it's students. Transparency is key to getting an honest Ents up and running. A student organization should have nothing to hide.

I can't give too much away at the moment with regards to plans and ideas, but when the manifestos come out all will be revealed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Really? If I had a good friend who wanted me to campaign for him/her I'd expect something in return, be it in any form. I don't believe in free labour.

While having a healthy distain for all thing SU related, I think its fair enough to campaign for a friend. Were I otherwise inclined, and a friend was running, I'd definitely help them out.

EDIT: without expecting anything in return, I should have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I would say that most students don't even know about that Ents site at the moment.

We want an Ents that supports it's students. Transparency is key to getting an honest Ents up and running. A student organization should have nothing to hide.

I can't give too much away at the moment with regards to plans and ideas, but when the manifestos come out all will be revealed!

You know Ents isn't really a necessary part of the UCDSU, it doesn't really provide major "support" for students. IMO, in the recessionary times we are living in such positions as "Ents" should be cut, total waste of money. The University's funds and the union fee could be invested in much more import facilities and supports. If people want to enjoy themselves let them organise events for themselves and not have some stupid union do things for them.

Actually, what has the union done this year so far except provide a nice paycheck for the people who work for it?

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Excuse my cynicism, but this is my 5th year in UCD and is not the first time I have heard this idea. Has anything changed? No. Never.

I don't doubt his wish to 'make a difference', but the amount of time I have heard buzz words like "CHANGE!", "NEW IDEAS!", "GET IT DONE!" etc... And does anything ever change? Nope. Never.

Ents is a position of power where change can be realistically achieved. I'm sure that Darragh looks forward to proving you wrong!
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    that would be extremely drastic change. Mind blowing, in fact.

And it's easily done!

Really? If I had a good friend who wanted me to campaign for him/her I'd expect something in return, be it in any form. I don't believe in free labour.

I really don't expect anything. Friends help eachother, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Ents is a position of power where change can be realistically achieved. I'm sure that Darragh looks forward to proving you wrong!

Power? Riight...

I shall keep my skepticism, confident, yet discouraged, that this 'change' shall remain as elusive as ever.

Good luck to the both of you all the same I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Walnut.

For whoever is going for the position of Ents officer, the text messaging service is a deal-breaker.

Honestly think I'd vote for whichever Ents officer promises (!!) not to harass me with text messages 3 to 4 times a week and pass my number out illegally to City Bar and other clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I really don't expect anything. Friends help eachother, end of.

That's as far as the UCDSU goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Walnut. wrote: »
    For whoever is going for the position of Ents officer, the text messaging service is a deal-breaker.

Honestly think I'd vote for whichever Ents officer promises (!!) not to harass me with text messages 3 to 4 times a week and pass my number out illegally to City Bar and other clubs.

This. I haven't given my real phone number to anyone since first year but I still get texts with no opt out from ents, the occasional one from Trinity ents and a couple of clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

MY predictions:

Prez: Think Lannoye could pip it if he mobilizes people who dont normally vote!

Lannoye is poor at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sanchez13

I for one dont know of any ENTS website. I met Darragh before though, through a mutual friend, alls i can say is he's a decent, honest, hard worker. If he can reflect that attitude onto ENTS in general then theres no reason why the organization cant become a professionalized entity working for the good of the student body.
    I know for a fact he wouldnt be regarded as whats known as an SU hack, he's never been class rep, never too involved in societies. I think il support him purely because he will be something different.
    Wether he brings the can-do attitude etc if he does get elected is another story, ents is an easy pit to get lost in, caught up in ones own bull**** springs to mind. The chief assets an ents officer needs more than anything is likeability, if their not approachable then their a lost cause already. light at the end of the tunnel, still not convinced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

Lannoye is poor at best.

I dont know him but he cud do well with the whole nonhack approach that him and that kinsella lad are going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I dont know him but he cud do well with the whole nonhack approach that him and that kinsella lad are going for.

Just from experiences through politics he seems a bit of a pr*t. That said however, the rest aren't much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Nope, as far as I know, <mod snip>

Apologies Mod if I wasnt clear on which bits were fact when i was responding to the question posed as to what Darcy had been doing for the last 5 years of his arts degree. To rephrase:

<mod snip>

Walnut. wrote: »

Yeah I get them texts as well, really bloody annoying.
    That's as far as the UCDSU goes.

At present, which is why we want change.
    Sanchez13 wrote: »
    I for one dont know of any ENTS website. I met Darragh before though, through a mutual friend, alls i can say is he's a decent, honest, hard worker. If he can reflect that attitude onto ENTS in general then theres no reason why the organization cant become a professionalized entity working for the good of the student body.
    I know for a fact he wouldnt be regarded as whats known as an SU hack, he's never been class rep, never too involved in societies. I think il support him purely because he will be something different.
    Wether he brings the can-do attitude etc if he does get elected is another story, ents is an easy pit to get lost in, caught up in ones own bull**** springs to mind. The chief assets an ents officer needs more than anything is likeability, if their not approachable then their a lost cause already. light at the end of the tunnel, still not convinced.

That's the message we're trying to get across.. that you can come and talk to Darragh about whatever your issue or suggestion you have without feeling intimidated or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

To be honest: Ents is the glamour position in the SU. If you asked 100 people if they were given a choice to pick any of the five positions and there was no election, they were just given the position. The vast majority would pick Ents.

To give the students a voice, if Darragh gets in, he will set up an online page where students can suggest their own ideas and vote on his.

Proper interactive website has been promised for years, never delivered, becoming a holy grail sort of joke really. Absolutly essential if thhe "transparency" and student body involvement you mentioned is to be acheived.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    :He never did an erasmus year. At one stage he dropped out to work for a nightclub but was let go. For the previous two years he announced he was going to run for ents but withdrew upon seeing the competition. The first time because when Mike Pat announced he was running Darcy lost the majority of his campaign team including his campaign manager. Last year he again withdrew once Cosgrove decided to run.

Darcy doesnt really instill confidence in that he avoided two elections due to competition. Heard he was close to pulling out again this year but a high profile name who I wont name decided against running at the last minute.

ENTS commands a serious serious budget which we the student body provide. Its often dismissed as the novelty campaign, probably because candidates have to be likeable and a bit of craic to win, this shouldnt overshadow the fact that they need serious backbone and essentially bravery as they represent UCD in an industry (entertainment) famous for being cuthroat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Sorry but I don't think anyone gives a shít about <snip> . Lets start judging people on their manifestos not their past history.

To be honest I think people do give a ****. I give a **** and anyone ive spoken to does too. I accept your point on deciding on candidates from their current manifesto's and in a perfect society thats what we would do. But history and fact are undeniable. In elections and politics in general the past has a serious habit of rearing its head, this is human political nature. So yes people do give a **** about the past. Simply my own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ColinoBryne

The smell of hacks in here is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fedup2011

I see there's a good bit of talk about this Brendan Lannoye guy...

now all I've seen of this guy is his campaign facebook page and immediately I dislike him as a candidate. There are about 8 videos up there titled things like "Brendan Lannoye See what your SU can do for you" and "Brendan Lannoye What you want from your SU" etc... I was pretty impressed... until I watched them that is! ALL of them are the same; some catchy dance track, his name and "fight the clique".
    I get it. You're not in the S.U. but that doesn't tell me what you're gonna offer me. I hate it when people campaign on the fact that they are a "new face" because yea that's really great! It's just what the SU needs... but it's not a good enough reason for me to vote for you!! ESPECIALLY in the role of president!! If there's any role where a bit of SU experience is gonna serve you well it's president.
    As it stands I'm thinking Pat's the man for the job but if I'm given hard evidence that someone new to the SU can do a better job than he can, then great... I'll vote for them!

If you wanna see the facebook page go right ahead! http://www.facebook.com/fighttheclique

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

Fedup2011 wrote: »

now all I've seen of this guy is his campaign facebook page and immediately I dislike him as a candidate. There are about 8 videos up there titled things like "Brendan Lannoye See what your SU can do for you" and "Brendan Lannoye What you want from your SU" etc... I was pretty impressed... until I watched them that is! ALL of them are the same; some catchy dance track, his name and "fight the clique".
    I get it. You're not in the S.U. but that doesn't tell me what you're gonna offer me. I hate it when people campaign on the fact that they are a "new face" because yea that's really great! It's just what the SU needs... but it's not a good enough reason for me to vote for you!! ESPECIALLY in the role of president!! If there's any role where a bit of SU experience is gonna serve you well it's president.
    As it stands I'm thinking Pat's the man for the job but if I'm given hard evidence that someone new to the SU can do a better job than he can, then great... I'll vote for them!

If you wanna see the facebook page go right ahead! http://www.facebook.com/fighttheclique

yeaaa that seems like a bit much alright! but i suposse no one has launched their campaign yet... so its probably a tester!

Proper interactive website has been promised for years, never delivered, becoming a holy grail sort of joke really. Absolutly essential if thhe "transparency" and student body involvement you mentioned is to be acheived.

Yeah I agree. It needs to be completely interactive and people have to know about it or it can't function properly.

Darragh has already made a site for the campaign which you'll be able to see when the manifesto is released. This was made at no cost and it looks good which shows how wasteful the organization is at the moment.
    Darcy doesnt really instill confidence in that he avoided two elections due to competition. Heard he was close to pulling out again this year but a high profile name who I wont name decided against running at the last minute.

ENTS commands a serious serious budget which we the student body provide. Its often dismissed as the novelty campaign, probably because candidates have to be likeable and a bit of craic to win, this shouldnt overshadow the fact that they need serious backbone and essentially bravery as they represent UCD in an industry (entertainment) famous for being cuthroat.

I don't want to get into talking about other candidates. Hopefully the election will be ran in good spirits.

I think Ents plays a vital role in the social scene around UCD. The backing Ents get from the college can give them the ability to get acts that otherwise wouldn't be interested.

unknown13 wrote: »
    To be honest: Ents is the glamour position in the SU. If you asked 100 people if they were given a choice to pick any of the five positions and there was no election, they were just given the position. The vast majority would pick Ents.

This doesn't take away from the fact that it's a tough job to do well, and I don't think Ents has been living up to it's full potential. We're the biggest college in the country, we can do better than two members of S-Club 7 playing at our christmas ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

His fb page just annoys me, provides no info whatsoever about his campaign other than fight the clique, if you're going to go to the bother of setting up a page and making videos, at least put some fúcking thought into it.

His campaign should be interesting....

You're right though, while I think the vast majority of the SU is just one giant clique, there's a few areas who are clearly trying to open themselves up, but alot of it is just left sort of mysterious. Making it less of a clique is important, but the president of the SU will need to engage in whatever's left of the clique..

If fúcking Lacey and Danaher get in, and there's a president who's insistent that he's going to fight the clique, how the hell is he going to interact with those two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fighttheclique

In relation to Brendan's facebook page, manifesto designs were only handed in earlier, and obviously we couldn't divulge any information before the other candidates released theirs, so that's the reason for the lack of information on the facebook page. The manifesto will be posted up shortly and you can all have a read then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Eager_Beaver

Have to agree with previous poster. Lacey and Danaher would just be the same old ****e.

Accosted that Brendan guy in ucd, and he actually has some good ideas which he promised to put in the manifesto,be interesting to see what makes it in!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 peas

'Have to agree with previous poster. Lacey and Danaher would just be the same old ****e.'

how so?

'Accosted that Brendan guy in ucd, and he actually has some good ideas which he promised to put in the manifesto,be interesting to see what makes it in!'
    like what? i heard he was alot about disaffiliating from usi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pdawg

A lot of what has been said is correct especially about those goddam texts !!!:mad:

But what really gets me every years is the people running for election with the fight the clique moto !! The clique is always going to be there because you are working along side people everyday day in day out every week and you are undoubtedly going to make friends with people involved in the union !! I myself was a programme officer who had nothing to do with the union before I was elected and through it I became friends with a lot of people in the union and was then tagged as a hack ! Will people stop running on the fact that they are going to break the clique as the reality is that a new clique is made every year with new people in it.

There is also the fact that people who have been involved in the union have grown the experience by it and are much more able to do the job once they get in office as they know whats going on. The people who have been involved in the union are clearly the dedicated ones who actually give a crap as opposed to people who just fly in out of the blue. Im not saying that you shouldn't run if you havent been in the union, God no. It would be refreshing to see an outsider get it but we should not simply back someone because they weren't a hack ! Hacks do have the advantage of knowing how the system runs and how and what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Pdawg wrote: »
    A lot of what has been said is correct especially about those goddam texts !!!:mad:

But what really gets me every years is the people running for election with the fight the clique moto !! The clique is always going to be there because you are working along side people everyday day in day out every week and you are undoubtedly going to make friends with people involved in the union !! I myself was a programme officer who had nothing to do with the union before I was elected and through it I became friends with a lot of people in the union and was then tagged as a hack ! Will people stop running on the fact that they are going to break the clique as the reality is that a new clique is made every year with new people in it.

There is also the fact that people who have been involved in the union have grown the experience by it and are much more able to do the job once they get in office as they know whats going on. The people who have been involved in the union are clearly the dedicated ones who actually give a crap as opposed to people who just fly in out of the blue. Im not saying that you shouldn't run if you havent been in the union, God no. It would be refreshing to see an outsider get it but we should not simply back someone because they weren't a hack ! Hacks do have the advantage of knowing how the system runs and how and what can be done.
    +1

Theres obviously a strong opinion that a new clique isnt made every year given that it is the same personalities we see in important positions who finally end up running in the student elections. a sort of ladder process wherby they fill one or two serious roles before throwing their hat into the ring for sabat positions. And fair play to them, if i had an interest in running thats what I would have done. those who oppose the clique, although probably slightly greater in number, could never get rid of it seeing as voting isnt high on their list of things to do.

Rather than fight the clique the idea, which sounds a bit extremist to be honest, a campaign of moderate reform should be adopted for those new to the scene. Candidates who run on this could possibly sway "hacks" who are not happy with things as opposed to frightening them away with "fight the clique".

It would be an idea for any of the newer personalities such as Brendan Lannoye or Lorcan Gray or even Darragh Kinsella running for Ents to work closely with the outgoing sabat officer, reforming what doesnt work and bringing in what will work, id say Kinsella would be the only one up for that tactic given the fact that its the Ents position and as a result not as politically motivated as the other positions. Before I leave UCD i would genuinely like to see a candidate running,on the basis of reform, actually win. Just to see if it would be implemeted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Why can't people not accept the fact that they should go to college to get a degree and then get out after their course is done? Seriously, get your degree and fuck off. I can't believe that after nearly two years of finishing in UCD I'm still seeing Scott Ahearn's name associated with the SU. UCDSU is a breeding ground for FG and FF politicians (among others, but these are the two that have always caught my attention). Nothing will change, still paying for an ineffective union that goes on piss-up junkets that the registration fee pays for, while giving 'jobs for the boys' who support these ridiculous sabbat officers. Ents is the biggest joke imaginable, events me hole. No RAG week and still ROL playing in the Student Bar, sickening. Canvassers... Fucking cretins, useless waste of organs, they disgust me with their vulturous mentality as if I actually care about what they have to say.

/Rant.

Advertisement