Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sanchez13

BDR wrote: »
    The debate isn't about how academically capable he is. It's whether he'll make a good Ents officer and the obvious answer is yes. Darcy has more experience than most of the candidates, as well as good contacts and he's an outgoing and friendly guy.

I met both Darragh and Stephen at the start of the year through friends and Stephen immediately introduced himself.
    It was probably the third time I was at a party with Darragh that I got to know him, and I had to approach him. Maybe it's not a big deal but I think whoever does gets Ents officer needs to be someone who you don't have to go out of your way to introduce yourself to.

I think the Ents race is going to be very close, no one has really mention Edel or Rob but they both have very strong campaign teams behind them and Rob also has a huge amount of experience.

Will be interesting to see the manifestos.

I wasnt questioning his academic ability at all. Thatd just be slanderous and ridiculous. I was questioning the financial circumstances of a possible 5 YEAR scolarship rather than a 3 year scolarship. If he received a scolarship for his standard 3 year Arts degree grand. But if he received any more for his flunk years im of the opinion that he's bled the college enough and should move on.

Your right no one has mentioned Edel or Rob, which is probably a positve for both of them. Manifesto's for all 4 will be much of a muchness id say. Lookindg forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

BDR wrote: »
    The debate isn't about how academically capable he is. It's whether he'll make a good Ents officer and the obvious answer is yes. Darcy has more experience than most of the candidates, as well as good contacts and he's an outgoing and friendly guy.

I met both Darragh and Stephen at the start of the year through friends and Stephen immediately introduced himself.
    It was probably the third time I was at a party with Darragh that I got to know him, and I had to approach him. Maybe it's not a big deal but I think whoever does gets Ents officer needs to be someone who you don't have to go out of your way to introduce yourself to.

I think the Ents race is going to be very close, no one has really mention Edel or Rob but they both have very strong campaign teams behind them and Rob also has a huge amount of experience.

Will be interesting to see the manifestos.

Being a good Ents officer involves having the ability to make smart decisions, look at it this way; 1st years coming into college and go out to a night being ran by Ents in, lets say tripod. It turns out to be a failure. They don't go back again, they tell their friends not to go back again, etc etc. It's a domino effect and you don't get many shots at it.

With regards to the friendliness aspect; I can't talk for any of the other candidates but Darragh's an extremely friendly person, I think you have to be for this role.

It will be very tight, as well as most of the other races. It's better that way, instead of being uncontested like previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Willow12 wrote: »
    In terms of Ents in UCD we do not need more people who can run nightclub events. Correct me if I am wrong but is this not what socities are for!!

Wrong, most of the societies never even go near a night club and they've been making an effort to clamp down on the societies that do nothing but organise nigth club events. Its to dodgy financially and it means student money is being pumped into lining the pockets of some nightclub owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Wrong, most of the societies never even go near a night club and they've been making an effort to clamp down on the societies that do nothing but organise nigth club events. Its to dodgy financially and it means student money is being pumped into lining the pockets of some nightclub owners.

Lawsoc ran three this year, and that was significantly down on last year. L&H ran two. C&E ran atleast half a dozen, Quinn ran 3 or 4.

I know a certain lawsoc auditorial candidate who (were he to be elected) would probably run more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Willow12 banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Fedup2011

A first glimpse of what the candidates themselves tell us they can offer us...

http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2011/03/su-elections-candidates-finalise-manifestos/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 frankiesayrelax

Just reading the Observer and Tribune and this Geoghegan fellow is getting an awful hard time. But to be honest, I think he's right. His competitor was late and only appealed the decision. The IAB decided, not him. I think he was fully within his rights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Just reading the Observer and Tribune and this Geoghegan fellow is getting an awful hard time. But to be honest, I think he's right. His competitor was late and only appealed the decision. The IAB decided, not him. I think he was fully within his rights

He was.

As was Dick Roche who called a recount when he was about to be eliminated in Wicklow. He was within his rights but everyone still thought he was a pr*ck for doing it.

I'm not sure if Geoghegan had any chance in the first place but what he did certainly wont win him any floating votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 frankiesayrelax

Wasn't Dick Roche only 3 votes from not getting eliminated? That's quite possible that people ****ed up.

From what I'm hearing, the Union wanted Aine to run and begged her do it. I can understand why Sam did it but he's fully within his rights and he wants to work with these people who seem to be against him. How will they work with him next year if he gets elected? There looks to be some conspiracy and I'm all for "fighting the clique" to use Lannoye's approach.

I've never heard of Geoghegan and don't know if he'll get elected but the rules were broken. I've heard of Aine before when she was Law PRO and I think that it's good not to always have sabbatts who have "climbed the ladder".

It's my last year in UCD and this won't impact my decision. I'll take a look at Sam's and Jen's manifestos and make up my mind.

Good luck to both candidates and hard luck to Aine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I think it was an exceptionally petty action...

From what I'm hearing, the Union wanted Aine to run and begged her do it. I can understand why Sam did it but he's fully within his rights and he wants to work with these people who seem to be against him. How will they work with him next year if he gets elected? There looks to be some conspiracy and I'm all for "fighting the clique" to use Lannoye's approach.

I've never heard of Geoghegan

I have... Three letters:
    KBC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Fad wrote: »

I have... Three letters:
    KBC

Damn, they're still alive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

In all fairness, what the feck was Gilhooly doing handing in the nomination so close to the deadline? Has she outlined why she was delayed in handing the nomination in?

Personally I think it does not reflect well on her - if she cannot even hand in her nomination without making a farce of things then is she really suitable for a sabbat role?

EDIT: Actually we all know there is apparent "friction" between Geoghegan & Gilhooly. Seems to me that her attempts to hand in the nomination right on the deadline was to shaft Geoghegan and catch him by surprise, but obviously the stunt has backfired on her spectacularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

unknown13 wrote: »
    From what I am hearing. They are in a bad way at the moment.

I wanted to place a bag full of dog poo under their stand on Refreshers' Day but I couldn't find the stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

With this year showing so much more interest than last year I think it's a shame that she wasn't aloud run. I'm voting to re-open nominations on that one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

He was in his right to appeal his decision but the fact that the time frame was so small meant that his common courtesy should have prevailed and he should have done the right thing and allow her to run even if she was the stronger candidate. Instead he was a bit of a prick about it and now is getting stick for it. You can't blame the papers for giving him a bit of a hard time because the deadline was so small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

unknown13 wrote: »
    He was in his right to appeal his decision but the fact that the time frame was so small meant that his common courtesy should have prevailed and he should have done the right thing and allow her to run even if she was the stronger candidate. Instead he was a bit of a prick about it and now is getting stick for it. You can't blame the papers for giving him a bit of a hard time because the deadline was so small.

He should be voted in purely to see the Tribune's cartoon of the guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Georgie1989

hjde

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mynameissarah

I got the general impression that Geoghean contested it based on the fact that James Doyle was disqualified for being late with the application so Gilhooly should be too? As in if you allow someone to be even one second late where do you draw the line? At five seconds, but what about ten, fifteen, twenty seconds, five minutes etc.

Pedantic but meh.

I'm not supporting anyone for the record, I like to avoid petty politics.

Looking at the Manifestos for Education on the Tribune's website. Sam Geoghean's manifesto is pretty good and better than Jen Fox's. The fact he did what did though means RON gets my vote.

Link to summary of manifestos

I have to say, I'd much prefer to see either Lannoye or Gray than de Brun take president, but they're going to split the non-hack vote, which may leave de Brun in the clear. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

Is it just me or does there seem to be a good buzz around with the elections this year. A lot of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not in UCD but my sister's there and been following this.
    From my impression of it,RON must get a huge vote.
    Still can't understand why the candidates couldn't just submit their applications on time though.

Raphael wrote: »
    I have to say, I'd much prefer to see either Lannoye or Gray than de Brun take president, but they're going to split the non-hack vote, which may leave de Brun in the clear. Shame.

Not at all, they'll transfer to each other, so essentially all they are doing is doubling the size of the team of whichever one of them doesn't get eliminated first.

Oh, good point. Hurrah!

errlloyd wrote: »
    Not at all, they'll transfer to each other, so essentially all they are doing is doubling the size of the team of whichever one of them doesn't get eliminated first.

Is it possible that Pat gets over the quota on the first count?

Absolutely, but that is less likely to happen if he is against double the amount of canvassers that he would otherwise be against. Two candidates running against him is a good thing for both of them.

Also, if he did then no amount of transferring or vote splitting would change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CMoonheadNo1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Convincing!

RON

• Advertisement

Has RON ever won an election in UCD?

Advertisement