Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Elections 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »
    Has RON ever won an election in UCD?

Once I think..... in like the 80's >_<

Make it happen this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Apparently RON has pulled out citing personal reasons the reason why.

I thought it was gonna be his year and everything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Vote GOB instead. Show those fatcats you have a GOB!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ron won the ents election the first year it was introduced, it wans't all that long ago, 7 years maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

the competition is certainly starting to heat up! saw all the candidates at the lake on saturday morning i tink the tribune was taking photos of them... body language with some of them was quite awkward! ... gotta say from walking around campus today am really impressed with darragh kinsellas manifesto.... brendan lannoye also posted a class video on facebook like the dylan haskins one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Hello people,

Just to give this page a bit of a bump i'll pop up the links to Darragh Kinsella's;

facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/Ozzy4Ents

and website.

http://www.ozzy4ents.tk/

We'd love to get back some feed back on any thoughts you have about the site, manifesto, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

im not too bothered, that day is gone for me..edel 4 ents i suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

the thing about ozzy's manifesto is he shudnt be mentioning acts he can't get. Darcy has it as well, Kid Cudi ffs. Also I really doubt he will be allowed the tents thing by Ucd, 2 years ago a candidate ran off the international mystery tour idea and the cost was the huge problem. The Rag week thing is somethign everyone promises but so hard to deliver but I do think if pushed its possible.

It is a good manifesto and well put together. I just think thats some stuff ye should be ready to answer. When it comes to debates be ready for everything. The likes of Darcy and Manning will be name dropping names in MCD and Aiken and all that, the other 3 are going to be well able for it and ye are going to need more then promises. As well watch who you are speaking to when out spreading the word because older students couldn't give a **** and the thing about "a new face" and "changing things" people have heard that for years and get sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Nice to see that the SU is feeling the recession like all of us by actually publishing nice glossy colour manifestos for the candidates. The days of black and white are gone obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pdawg

Nice to see that the SU is feeling the recession like all of us by actually publishing nice glossy colour manifestos for the candidates. The days of black and white are gone obviously.

Each of the candidates had to pay €480 for all of their materials! Its not subsidized by the SU.

• Advertisement

Pdawg wrote: »
    Each of the candidates had to pay €480 for all of their materials! Its not subsidized by the SU.

Fairly sure that 480 is a reduced price after being sub'd, and they get the vast majority of that back provided they poll over 20%, and they can even get it back if they poll less but run a decent campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The Ents interviews in the tribune are a bit frustrating because one candidate is saying: "Thursday night live can happen every week" and another is saying "They can't happen every week". I think something has to be cleared up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

The Ents interviews in the tribune are a bit frustrating because one candidate is saying: "Thursday night live can happen every week" and another is saying "They can't happen every week". I think something has to be cleared up.

I think that just points out that none of them are sure what the heck is going on and are just trying to promise things to get elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pdawg

errlloyd wrote: »
    Fairly sure that 480 is a reduced price after being sub'd, and they get the vast majority of that back provided they poll over 20%, and they can even get it back if they poll less but run a decent campaign.

IAB (The independant Appeals Board) can decide whether they get back part, or all of it, of they get poll over 20% but its up to the IAB. And maybe the Union sub some of the money... But it can't be very much as theyre paying €480 each for their materials which have been bought in bulk for 16 candidates !

Pdawg wrote: »
    IAB (The independant Appeals Board) can decide whether they get back part, or all of it, of they get poll over 20% but its up to the IAB. And maybe the Union sub some of the money... But it can't be very much as theyre paying €480 each for their materials which have been bought in bulk for 16 candidates !

The IAB can give back if they poll over 20%, but the SU can choose to give it back even if they poll less then 20%, it just comes from a different budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Jen Fox has offically pulled out of the Education race. Sam Geoghean to go against RON.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

TNL can happen every week but it cannot be a late bar every week, as far as my understanding goes.

Jen Fox has offically pulled out of the Education race. Sam Geoghean to go against RON.

Silly swine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Its pretty funny any of the candidates name dropping any names in MCD like it'll make a difference.

Cost, Availability and the acts willingness to play are all far far ahead than some Ents hack knowing Mr. John Doe in MCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Prodigaldaughtr

Er I wudn't agree there. You can't deny that having connections in the industry is a plus. Knowing your way around means not wasting time trying to learn how to, and who to, negotiate with, in a business where being on the ball is important. Ents have to book up and coming acts who aren't going to be too pricey just yet, are just about to hit it big, ie. they have one or two hits already, usually just in Ireland, or Britain and Ireland. You need to know your stuff like. It's not a job you can just waltz into with no experience whatsoever.

• Advertisement

ha.
    Connections can be made very easily.

"Hi, I'm the UCD ents officer, can I speak to the guy at MCD who can speak to the guy who might play the Student Bar in October please?"

Simples.

People who have experience setting up gigs etc are more useful imo as they will then do that job for free. People who know people are great, at knowing people, not at providing ents.

Hustings established a few things in my mind.

Darragh Kinsella just seems naive and his campaign team are just going to annoy people over the next few week, I cant see that translating into votes either.

Sam is just not an option for education.

Lannoye's campaign team has a few of the most ignorant girls I have encountered in a long time.

Brendan Lacey has learned to speak decently, somehow.

Fad wrote: »
    Sam is just not an option for education.

Lannoye's campaign team has a few of the most ignorant girls I have encountered in a long time.
    Apart from the fact that Sam is in KBC and as such, clearly cannot have been educated, why is he not an option?

What did Lannoye's girls do that was so ignorant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Feel I have to clear a few things up..

What happened in that hustings was a disgrace. It was borderline bullying. From the moment Darragh started to speak there were interruptions from opposing campaign teams. Whatever about the cheers for Darragh, we maintained that we would respect the other candidates which we did and this respect was not returned.

There were immature sniggers the whole way through, especially when he was talking about the issue of the lack of involvement some students feel within their college, leading to depression and the likes.

It was a 3 vs 1 situation, you could feel the tension and intimidation. Everyone could see what was going on and it wasn't pretty.

There was a good point made by someone at the end, that the debate was essentially about the reasons to vote for Darragh and the reasons not to vote for Darragh. I'll tell you one thing, the only person i saw in there showing any sense of creativity and passion was Darragh.

The radio debate will tell us a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Er I wudn't agree there. You can't deny that having connections in the industry is a plus. Knowing your way around means not wasting time trying to learn how to, and who to, negotiate with, in a business where being on the ball is important. Ents have to book up and coming acts who aren't going to be too pricey just yet, are just about to hit it big, ie. they have one or two hits already, usually just in Ireland, or Britain and Ireland. You need to know your stuff like. It's not a job you can just waltz into with no experience whatsoever.

Er. No.

MCD is a business. They make a serious amount of money off UCD every year. Im sure they'd be in contact with the Ents officer regardless whoever it may be.

Its only a case of having connection if you actually know someone who has major sway with a band that are too expensive/borderline intersted and highly sought after.

Otherwise the candidated can be moulds of each other.

I also think people overestimate the scope these candidates have with regards to the big events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

From being friends with a lot of the Ents crew a couple of years ago as far as I'm aware when it comes to booking acts for big events like the UCD Ball its basically a case of MCD going "heres who we have available on that date willing to play for X price, take it or leave it". The ents officer doesnt really have a whole lot of sway.

Apart from the fact that Sam is in KBC and as such, clearly cannot have been educated, why is he not an option?

What did Lannoye's girls do that was so ignorant?

I'll explain after I have a chance to ask him....

Gray mentioned that him and a few others tried to set up an anti-war society and the girls loudly scoffed at this idea. "It's not like anyone would set up a pro-war society" >_<

Every time another candidate spoke, the girls sighed loudly, "OMG, that's your opinion like" (As if that's a valid response)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Prodigaldaughtr

Its only a case of having connection if you actually know someone who has major sway with a band that are too expensive/borderline intersted and highly sought after.

I also think people overestimate the scope these candidates have with regards to the big events.

You are totally right in regard to connections, but that is exactly what im saying, "if you actually know someone who has major sway with a band ", and I know Darcy does. His campaign manager (also one of his best mates) works in MCD, also at Download, at Electiric Picnic, at Oxegen,and not in low level positions either so there is no point retorting with that point. If anyone is going to know who up and coming "borderline" acts are, and know them personally it will be them.

Also, the point about MCD presenting acts and saying take it or leave it is not entirely valid. Im Mike-Pat's year, he wasnt happy with MCD's behavior or proposals, so he organised the ball without them, bookin acts himself through his own connections. Things have changed since then. From what I can see, MCD are much more willing to negotiate now, rather than lose UCD, Ireland's biggest college, as a source of revenue again. Getting people in there who know about what has previously happened and know how to deal with MCD is important.

Unfortunatly, I was unable to attend hustings last night, but im curious to know who really shone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Unfortunatly, I was unable to attend hustings last night, but im curious to know who really shone?

Education: Hard to compare Geoghegan to anyone else considering he is the sole candidate, but all the same I thought he got on OK. Came across as nervous, but Ill judge him on his manifesto all the same. Was expecting a bigger participation from RON, was a bit of a damp squib in the end!

Welfare: I thought Danaher spoke the best out of the three candidates here, she seems energetic. She was very nearly caught out by both Brady & Breslin when she was challenged on her experience . . . but she got out of it all the same. Brady came across as very nervous and incoherent at times but likewise she seems energetic. Breslin was decent, but I thought she came out the worst.

Ents: Kinsella by far came out the worst here in my opinion. His idea of moving the UCD Ball off campus (to Slane!!!!!) to facilitate camping was ridiculed by his opponents and he generally does not seem to have any sort of capability to be a realist thinker. He seems to be just promoting change for the sake of it. Robert Manning did a good job in separating himself from the candidates when it came to highlighting the experience he has that will facilitate him in office, but all the same he tended to focus a little too much on what he has done in the past rather than what he intends to do in the future. Darcy was pretty impressive and he was able to promptly reply to one or two questions put his way seemingly to try and knock him off course. From what I remember Edel got on OK as well!

Campaigns & Communications: Thought Lacey performed the best here, good speaker and seemed to take a hold of the proceedings. As per usual Suzanne spared no time in launching an attack on the audience and her fellow candidates - she has nothing constructive to offer it seems. This race is between Lacey & Fortune.

President: Thought De Brun really took the shine off Lannoye, he wasted no time in exposing some of the flaws he believed were present in Lannoye's manifesto. Lorcan Gray just came across as annoying, tbh. Not sure what he has to offer other than mass assemblies. Race is between De Brun & Lannoye.

Advertisement