Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some final feedback.

Options
  • 04-01-2011 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I have been banned from politics for quote: "In future, if you can't post on topic, don't post."

I had responded to a post which was clearly created to bait me and was itself off-topic. Bearing in mind, it took 2 minutes for the moderator to infract my account, while a proverbial shít-storm of off-topic nonsense was allowed to continue for 5 pages in another thread, without once an interjection from a moderator - despite the fact that I had reported a post an hour beforehand.

It seems it's ok for some posters to continue to take threads off-topic and bait unmoderated, while anyone who responds are reprimanded.

My patience with boards.ie has long ended. I've decided to no longer post on here. A suitable replacement moderator will need to be found for the RaN forum. I'm sure they can decide amongst themselves who is best suited. If my account can be closed, that would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dlofnep.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

For the record, I moderated (that is read and acted if action was required) all posts in that thread and posted on thread. The order and timing of the moderation may not have been to your liking, but I'm not omnipotent, I have a real life and job and things to do.

At the end of the day, you are responsible for your own conduct and if others are posting in a manner you feel is unacceptable, you can alert us to act via the "report post" function which has existed on boards.ie for many years now.

Also, for the record, you do not know who and who has not been moderated, merely that I refused to discuss the matter of the moderation of other users with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ciao bella!

why are you leaving exactly? kinda dont get it. i read some other thread on here which i think you started and I totally didnt get that one either. me thinks this is a case for Dr Llama Von Drama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Chara, I urge you to reconsider, personally speaking I think you are one of, if not the, best poster at arguing the republican pov on here. You would be greatly missed.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    ...personally speaking I think you are one of, if not the, best poster at arguing the republican pov on here. You would be greatly missed.
    For the record, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I presume this is from the Doherty thread. I would agree with you. There was an awful lot of OT goading in that thread that continued throughout which was entirely irrelevant to the actual thread.

• Advertisement

I presume this is from the Doherty thread. I would agree with you. There was an awful lot of OT goading in that thread that continued throughout which was entirely irrelevant to the actual thread.
    That happens in near every single vaguely republican thread, luckily Ive been a good boy and haven't gotten myself infracted in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Dfolnep, completely disagree with you on most issues but I'd urge you to reconsider this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Used to post frequently enough in the NI threads in politics but stopped quite a while ago but just wanted to also endorse the views here of dlofnep. While my views on the North/Republicanism couldn't be more opposite to his and we've crossed swords in the past, I've always found him to be a very decent and intelligent representative for that side too and it would be a shame to lose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Just to echo most of the comments so far, i would like to express my sentiments that if you do decide that you do not wish to contribute to boards.ie anymore - it will be a loss to the community.

We certainly dont share much political common ground, but thats not to say that political views other than my own are not welcomed, and from my experience of your input ive always found your posts to be in the least containing some thought, something sadly lacking in political discussion sometimes.

I understand that getting a ban from a forum you contribute to quite alot tends to "hurt" alot more than if it was a community you could care less about and i can certinly understand your annoyance with getting banned due to some one trolling or baiting you - as suggested already, unfortunatley them be the rules, i dont personally like them, but i can understand why they are there.

Id hope you can reconsider your decision.

- note to self "dlofnep" is penfold written backwards.. lol that only took me nearly 5 years to realise

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd rather you didn't go (really!) but it's up to yourself. You're generally excellent at putting a reasonable stance on what's frequently not considered to be a reasonable position. That's rare and hence rather welcome. I like coherency. Your cause is the loser if you depart.

To my knowledge we've never discussed moderation of one forum member with another forum member so it shouldn't come as any surprise that any moderation of another forum member wasn't discussed. The "what about the other fellow" argument never deserves any sympathy for example as in general it's plain idiotic. Aside, it's also worth noting that ****storms can take some time to wade through. I'd consider another (better) straw as a back-breaker myself if necessary but that's just me.

edit: In case I'm being less than clear, the board is a better place for having you post on it. As you're aware, the dispute resolution procedure exists and is a useful way (as well as being the designated way) of raising issues with moderation. Aside from that, the moderators (including myself) are perfectly open to a reasoned general chat about the board itself (as you're probably aware) - given that you're a reasoned and reasonable chap as far as I can see, I'd suggest that as an option but again, that's me being me and offering the option that I'd take.

If you want to close your account, send an email to hello@boards.ie with the subject line 'Account closure'. That's the only way accounts get closed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

GuanYin wrote: »
    For the record, I moderated (that is read and acted if action was required) all posts in that thread and posted on thread. The order and timing of the moderation may not have been to your liking, but I'm not omnipotent, I have a real life and job and things to do.

Then I might suggest that - not having the time to address your full faculties to the task at hand - you make room for somebody who has.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I have been banned from politics for quote: "In future, if you can't post on topic, don't post."

I had responded to a post which was clearly created to bait me and was itself off-topic. Bearing in mind, it took 2 minutes for the moderator to infract my account, while a proverbial shít-storm of off-topic nonsense was allowed to continue for 5 pages in another thread, without once an interjection from a moderator - despite the fact that I had reported a post an hour beforehand.

It seems it's ok for some posters to continue to take threads off-topic and bait unmoderated, while anyone who responds are reprimanded.

My patience with boards.ie has long ended. I've decided to no longer post on here. A suitable replacement moderator will need to be found for the RaN forum. I'm sure they can decide amongst themselves who is best suited. If my account can be closed, that would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dlofnep.

I know exactly where you're coming from, however I'd urge you to reconsider. Overall the moderation is fair, and one can't let the occassional blip get one down, enraging though it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nodin wrote: »
    Then I might suggest that - not having the time to address your full faculties to the task at hand - you make room for somebody who has.

If you know someone who has the omnipotence that GuanYin admits to lacking?

If not, then it seems to me that you're reading what you want into what was written. No moderator has, nor is expected to have, 100%, 24x7 availability.

Suggesting that someone should step aside on that basis should be, frankly, beneath you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

bonkey wrote: »

If not, then it seems to me that you're reading what you want into what was written. No moderator has, nor is expected to have, 100%, 24x7 availability.

Suggesting that someone should step aside on that basis should be, frankly, beneath you.

It's entirely possible that - given my view of certain parties activity as being defined by long absences interspersed with knee jerk, tempramental decision making - that I am indeed 'reading what I want' into it. Mea Culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

bonkey wrote: »

I think that GuanYin was a little Freudian in her language when quoting their lack of omnipotence.

Of course she is omnipotent, when it comes to the board and the handling of infractions/bans.

Omnipresence, was quite probably the message she was trying to convey, or her lack there of, when conveying her lack of 24x7 presence.....and your subsequent reference, although that does not address the issue the OP has.

The issue seems to be that we get the same stuff in every single thread about SF. If you took out the first page(40 posts) of each of them and stuck them all together you wouldn't be able to tell what the OP was , or even that they were different threads.

It does wear down the patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The issue seems to be that we get the same stuff in every single thread about SF. If you took out the first page(40 posts) of each of them and stuck them all together you wouldn't be able to tell what the OP was , or even that they were different threads.

It does wear down the patience.

Yeah, those SF supporters are indeed very energetic and repetitive.

Yeah, those SF supporters are indeed very energetic and repetitive.
    Well done, congratulations. :rolleyes:

You know exactly what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nesf wrote: »
    Dfolnep, completely disagree with you on most issues but I'd urge you to reconsider this.
    You took the words right out of my mind ;_;
    dlofnep wrote:
    I had responded to a post which was clearly created to bait me and was itself off-topic.
    Yeah thats a dangerous thing to be doing anyway. A bit like stepping on a mine when you know it's a mine and you're in a minefield but you're going to step on it anyway - for honor!

Taking all things into account, an hour is not that long for a bait post to remain up. Mods are not on 24/7 and I've seen posts stay up for days at a time, long after they still held any meaning. But in general it's a risky venture to bite.

edit: Penfold! it all makes sense now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah thats a dangerous thing to be doing anyway. A bit like stepping on a mine when you know it's a mine and you're in a minefield but you're going to step on it anyway - for honor!

Taking all things into account, an hour is not that long for a bait post to remain up. Mods are not on 24/7 and I've seen posts stay up for days at a time, long after they still held any meaning. But in general it's a risky venture to bite.
    Hang on a second here...we have an Admin, in a thread not a million miles from here, talking about "history" and user actions, yada yada..and we have a user, who by all accounts is a decent poster, being slapped for rising to an obvious troll. Where's the balance? Where?

DRP/CMod actions/Appeal...I think somebody is having a serious laugh here, and lets not get into the ratio of Bans/Infractions overturned by the DRP within the limit of the ban, because I would suspect that it's a complete waste of time (my opinion), maybe everybody is wrong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Well done, congratulations. :rolleyes:

You know exactly what I mean.

Yes, I know what you mean.

Do you understand what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Pendolf, the Politics forum will be sorry to lose you if you choose to go. If you haven't changed your mind, please follow sceptre's instructions above.

Don't think there's much more feedback to be had here, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement