Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Walking Clubs

Options
  • 04-01-2011 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi
    Im based southside. I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any youngish hill walking clubs? Ive looked into alot of them and they are full of 50 yr++ with the odd one or two younger people.
    Im 34 - anyone know of ones that maybe good to join?
    Mairead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There's a list of clubs on http://www.mountaineering.ie/ - you should be able to contact the clubs and ask them about age groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mairead1975

Hi
    Thanks - yes I haad a look at that site before and mailed a few.I think they stay very neutral. It#s up to me to contact each club. Im still not clear of which ones are for a younger people. Cant believe Im calling myself young.....35!

Im sure there are hill walking clubs that attract younger people 25-35/40 - just a case of hunting them down!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JinksyCat

Mairead, If you have any luck can you let us know, as I was about to post the same question. Thanks:)

30 is new 20...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I put this up somewhere else the other day. It's the best Dublin based younger hiking club I've come across: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=6135063268

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JinksyCat

Thanks Nathan I will check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I put this up somewhere else the other day. It's the best Dublin based younger hiking club I've come across: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=6135063268
    What do you think happens when the club members get older? :) Does the leader carry a shotgun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

hmmm wrote: »
    What do you think happens when the club members get older? :) Does the leader carry a shotgun?

they are brought to the side of cliff faces, and seem to not show up after that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Hi
    Im based southside. I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any youngish hill walking clubs? Ive looked into alot of them and they are full of 50 yr++ with the odd one or two younger people.
    Im 34 - anyone know of ones that maybe good to join?
    Mairead

Hi Mairead,

I am a committee member with my own mountaineering club, we are called Club Cualann - see our website at www.clubcualann.ie for more info.

We have a good range of ages from the older generation to the younger crowd, I myself am 24. Hillwalking in its nature seems to appeal to the older generation but from my own experiences in the last few years more and more younger people are joining the club.

We hold Welcome walks on the second Sunday of every month aimed at welcoming potential new members to the club and you would be more than welcome to come along and see if the club is a good fit for you or not. Of course you are also free to join us at any time as we walk each Sunday.

Also, there is a very active rock climbing group within the club if that would interest you.

If you would like to contact me please feel free to do so.

Best of luck

Haha - very funny Hmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 phyo

Nathan could you please post that Facebook Group link again? It's broken now.

Mairead, did you have any luck in the end? I'm in the same boat.

O.
    ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3 phyo

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There are a few different hill walking and hiking groups on MeetUp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

From what I've seen a number of the ones on meetup seem to be run on a commerical basis and I've heard they aren't great, that said I don't want to go saying they are all bad.

The Challenge Hikers are a great group, I've gone a number of times and they are a really nice crowd. The hikes tend to be from the easier side to relatively tough (theres a few "hard core" who'll do much harder ones again), there are also a few who rock climb. TBH the only reason I don't go out a lot more with them is that I usually work weekends.

Advertisement