Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could erase 1 game from memory - so you could replay it ..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jazzy wrote: »
    ps - was thinking yesterday, you should try take a photo of your game collection. would be quite interesting.

It's a mess at the moment unfortunately. Have some that are about 3 years old posted in the arcade and retro forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

None really. Take away the nostalgia and yesterday's games have all pretty much been bettered and improved on. I recently went to play Final Fantasy V, having never played it before and without the benefit of having great childhood memories of it, it's pretty bland, it looks crap and the sound is rubbish. Give me any genric current gen JRPG over it any day.

Looking at it objectively if I had never played the games I love - like Terranigma, FFVII, Half-Life, Mario Kart 64 - I don't think I'd be impressed by them. They've all been improved on by games that in many ways rip them off. I honestly believe that Alundra is a better game than Link to the Past, and improves on it in numerous ways despite lacking almost any originality. They were all ground breaking games, and raised the bar, but their immitators have improved on them in many ways. Singularity will never be as ground breaking as Half-Life, but if you give the two of them to someone who has never played them and don't give them any context, I'm confident they'll think Singularity is the better game.

The only two games that I feel would still stand up as being as impressive gameplay wise as they were the day they were released are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but only because they have never been improved upon. Darksiders and Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have tried but still aren't as good.

I don't know, I think some games will always be great, and better than later titles. Half-Life remains a better FPS than most examples of the genre now, I still prefer the Mario games to any modern platformer. I even played Super Metroid properly for the first time recently thanks to missing out on it in the SNES days and it blew me away, it was better than anything on the current gen consoles. Give me FFVI over XIII, even over VII for that matter, and Link to the Past over EVERYTHING! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I would go for either beyond good and evil or okami or prince of Persia sands of time. Screw it, just erase the ps2 from my memory and let me start over.

Leave me with the memory of the current generation though to remind me that it all goes downhill after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Another vote for Planescape: Torment here.

I don't remember any game since that managed to make me so emotionally involved in the characters and their stories. A couple of times I had to get up and leave the computer, I was laughing so hard. The whole tragic thing with Deionarra, and the ending(s) all caused a tear or two to be shed. The level up mechanics were miles ahead of Baldur's Gate.

God, I'm so glad I was able to find and buy a copy after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

I know it should be one game, but for me it would love to have the Monkey Island Trilogy erased from my memory... 1, 2 and 3 were awesome games

Monkey Island 4 should be erased from everyone's memory :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

wurzlitzer wrote: »
    I know I am sad but it would have to be

sonic the hedgehog on the sega megadrive

& Tekken on PS

Sonic was one of the 1st games I completed as a kid on the MDII
    Tekken was class when it came out 1st
    not sad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

FF9 have played it a good few times and each time i forget some of the details and it's great to find them out again.
    Zaffy wrote: »
    Golden Sun.

It is AMAZING.

Played both of those games and can't remembers anything other than 2 bad guys show up at your village at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Varik wrote: »

Played both of those games and can't remembers anything other than 2 bad guys show up at your village at the start.

Sounds like it actually has been erased from your memory, you should really play them again in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Varik wrote: »

For me it was, Golden Sun 2 I don't recall very well, but number 1 I really truly enjoyed. Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

None really. Take away the nostalgia and yesterday's games have all pretty much been bettered and improved on. I recently went to play Final Fantasy V, having never played it before and without the benefit of having great childhood memories of it, it's pretty bland, it looks crap and the sound is rubbish. Give me any genric current gen JRPG over it any day.

Looking at it objectively if I had never played the games I love - like Terranigma, FFVII, Half-Life, Mario Kart 64 - I don't think I'd be impressed by them. They've all been improved on by games that in many ways rip them off. I honestly believe that Alundra is a better game than Link to the Past, and improves on it in numerous ways despite lacking almost any originality. They were all ground breaking games, and raised the bar, but their immitators have improved on them in many ways. Singularity will never be as ground breaking as Half-Life, but if you give the two of them to someone who has never played them and don't give them any context, I'm confident they'll think Singularity is the better game.

The only two games that I feel would still stand up as being as impressive gameplay wise as they were the day they were released are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but only because they have never been improved upon. Darksiders and Wind Waker and Twilight Princess have tried but still aren't as good.

I don't agree with this at all. There are so many games that I missed out on as a child or when they were actually released that I recently caught up on. Over the last year or two I had my first ever play through of revered classics like Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and Throne of Bhaal, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Half-Life, Vagrant Story... yeah I missed out on quite a few greats there, but I still found them so much more enjoyable than alot of games that are out nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,637 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

for first impressions taken into account, and the enjoyment i got outt of a game it would have to be GTA 3 , me and a few friends bought it for the ps2 at college and spent the weekend playing it in turns. good times. nothing really like it before.

loved , and still love , super mario world. i still play it every so often. has not aged at all.

KOTOR , i would love to play this for the first time again. did not fancy it at the start, but the game sucked me in and i loved every minute of it.

of the recent games, twlight princess , is probably the one i would most like to start over a fresh. really liked the game, plus the fact that there is most of tis year to wait till a new zelda ame on the wii .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Assassins Creed 2 from modern times.

From bygone times, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

so many games goldeneye,perfect dark,gta san andreas to name a few,but i would to be a 7 year old again playing new zealand story......sniff sniff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 the chief stands alone.

Diablo 2, Fallout 3 or :pac: link to the past.... or hoover boover on the c64....

JIM WON'T MIND IF I BORROW HIS MOWER

WELL DONE! PREPARE FOR MORE MOWING!

CANINE FIDELITY BONUS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

a link to the past

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

:rolleyes: How could I have forgotten to mention:

Outcast
    Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption
    Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

There's so many I could pick

Sensible Soccer - Aminga
    Creatures - C64
    Armalyte - C64
    Civilisation 2
    Syndicate
    Fable
    Warcraft 2
    GTA Vice City
    Bioshock

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

GTA3. Nearly everything in that game just amazed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I wish I could play some of the suggestions here, not that I can't physically.
    But its that graphics/gameplay etc have come such a long way that I tend to compare old games to modern ones, even those that I love get a bad light shed on them :( ...am I shallow ?

I tried to get back in Deus Ex recently and couldnt, same with Starcraft 1, COD2 and Oblivion: Morrowind, because they get compared with their contemporarys.

I suppose thats something I wish I could erase

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

For me it's definitely GTA 3 or metal gear solid 2, i love both of them games and even now i still think they're really good by today's standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Definitely Red Dead Redemption. I was unemployed when it came out and just got completely immersed in it. The story, setting, gameplay and characters were just brilliant in every way. I'd love to go back and play it again just to get those shivers seeing the ending scenes, then the credits with that fantastic track over them (Deadmans Gun).

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

elder scrolls 4 i just love that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Probably Heavy Rain or Layton.Something that involves a Storyline twist or a puzzle so tricky you'll never forget the answer for a few years.I can replay a Zelda or a Red Dead no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

System Shock 2 - creepiest baddie ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ullrich

I´ll go with a total new genre then: Medieval: Total War :) My first strategy game and I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

recyclops wrote: »
    Silent hill 2 for me the story was fantastic for a survival horror game from start to finish

THIS!

The fúcking game damn near changed my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Definitely Morrowind. I've sunk more hours into that game than any other, and it's a much more immersive game than Oblivion.

If we're going back a little further I'd say Flashback for the Megadrive. Absolutely loved it from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Mass effect and mass effect 2. More than likely also Mass effect 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got to disagree there. While some games have definitely been bettered and some people won't accept it (cough Goldeneye) there are a lot of games that are old but absolutely timeless. FFV is a bad example to pick since it has it's flaws although the battle system is truly excellent in that game. FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star 4 and Terranigma are some of the pinnacles of the JRPG genre and there's not many modern RPGs that can match them on Quality. Stuff like R-type, Super Mario World, Megaman 2 etc. are still as much fun to play today as they ever were. There are a lot of games that don't live up to when you first played them and are products of their time. A lot are usually have rabid fanboy followings blind to their flaws which means you get a lot of **** for criticising them.

I'd actually say Twilight Princess and Wind Waker were better games than Ocarina. Pretty much the same game but more polished. Majora's Mask though is a different beast. There really is nothing else quite like it and I doubt Nintendo will ever be that creative with the franchise again.

Totally agree, over xmas got my N64 and Gamecube working again, Wind Waker was magic. The cel-shading, even though it was slated at the time, is truly somethin epic, Links facial expressions have not been surpased. I played OoT again, but didn enjoy it as much, it has aged pretty badly I felt. If it wasn't for the nostalgic love I have for the game, I didnt think I would have been able to play it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Theres a few games I'd love to go back in time and play for the first time again but if I had to narrow it down I'd have to say my top three would be Metal Gear Solid 1, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater and Silent Hill 2. MGS 1 was a whole new experience for me and I loved it despite the characters not really having faces :D. Sons of Liberty was good but Snake Eater completely blew it out of the water. There was a lot more tension in that game, especially trying to crawl slowly through grass to try and maintain a high camoflauge level and then all of a sudden you're staring at the boots of a guard on patrol and hoping that he doesnt spot you right in front of him. Silent Hill 2 creeped the sh*t out of me at the time, especially that hospital, but thats what made it so good. Even if you didnt encounter any monsters for ages you'd always be certain that there was someting just up ahead.

Advertisement