Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire 100e more than wildfire worth it?

Options
  • 04-01-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Getting a new phone from meteor decided on htc. Wildfire will cost me 49e while Desire is 149e. Is the Desire really worth it they seem very similar to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

screen is terrible on the wildfire, hope that makes things easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

go into a shop and look at a working model of both side by side. the desire screen won me over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Desire. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

I have a desire and have recently seen my little cousins wildfire! the two are chalk and cheese as far as im concerned-Desire is the winner hands down, wildfire doesnt stand up to it well atall!! and whenever she sees my phone she gets annoyed with me cos she wishes she coulda afforded the Desire-she hates her wildfire!
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

i just bought a wildfire so i'm slightly biased. But ya, the desire has a better screen, and a better camera, but the wildfire has longer battery life which is important to me. I got 1.5 days out of it there of heavy use. I'm sure that could be optimised a lot more too. I've read that the desire can be very heavy on battery (ie. you'd be lucky to get a day out of it). Not sure how true that is ...

Very happy with wildfire so far. Screen resolution is a bit low, you'd notice it when looking at a webpage and you zoom out so that the text is pretty small. No biggy though, just zoom in a bit more. Also, photos look a bit crap, but actually aren't bad because when you look at them on a pc they're much better. Also, processor seems a bit slow since some apps run a bit slow (some arcade games for example). Other than those issues i love it. The OS is very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Short answer: Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Paulj wrote: »
    i just bought a wildfire so i'm slightly biased. But ya, the desire has a better screen, and a better camera, but the wildfire has longer battery life which is important to me. I got 1.5 days out of it there of heavy use. I'm sure that could be optimised a lot more too. I've read that the desire can be very heavy on battery (ie. you'd be lucky to get a day out of it). Not sure how true that is ....

Sorry man but that's bull****. I get 1.5 days easily out of a full charge on my Desire for calls, texts, emals and web browsing. It's only watching videos or playing games (damm you angry birds) which I find will drain the battery on my phone but that happens on any smartphone tbh.

poolboy wrote: »
    Getting a new phone from meteor decided on htc. Wildfire will cost me 49e while Desire is 149e. Is the Desire really worth it they seem very similar to me

Well worth the extra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Oh God Desire all the way lets do a quick spec comparrison:

CPU: Wildfire - 528mhz / Desire 1Ghz
    RAM: Wildfire - 384mb / 576mb
    Screen: Wildfire 240 x 320 / Desire 480 X 800
    OS: Wildfire 2.2 (updated thanks chrislad) / 2.2 will prob get 2.3 aswell.

In short the wildfire a bottom rung entry level smartphone, the desire while a year old is still a solid peice of kit.

Another thing to keep in mind is resale value, smartphone sell well! For instance I have a desire since March 2010 and paid 180 on 12month contract, im getting ready to move on and have been checking out how much a second hand unlocked Desire would fetch.... 270euro is the answer... The wildfire will not hold value nearly as well... I will make a profit on my phone because I buy the top of the line phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I would stretch the extra €100, if at all possible.

I have the desire (and iP4 & iP3Gs) and the other half has a wildfire. The screen and performance of the wildfire are a bit disappointing. The wildfire struggles to deal with things like google street view and certain apps do not work at all, due to the low screen resolution. Images and photos look horrible too.

I would advise you to go to a store where you can see the wildfire up and running, if you think the screen is OK, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Actually, the Wildfire was updated to 2.2 about 3 weeks ago officially so it's the same software wise, just sloooooooower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Venom wrote: »
    Sorry man but that's bull****. I get 1.5 days easily out of a full charge on my Desire for calls, texts, emals and web browsing. It's only watching videos or playing games (damm you angry birds) which I find will drain the battery on my phone but that happens on any smartphone tbh.

Not bull**** at all. Biggest complaint i've read about the Desire is the battery life.

el dude wrote: »
    Not bull**** at all. Biggest complaint i've read about the Desire is the battery life.

It is bull, im pretty sure you'll find its the Desire HD that has bad battery, this is because they cut costs and put a 1300mAh battery in it where as the Desire has a 1400mAh battery and a smaller screen.

As an owner of a Desire and a heavy user I can testify that the battery is about as good as it gets in a SmartPhone.

el dude wrote: »

Reading about and experiencing yourself are to very different things. I'm talking from experience, can you say the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

my battery won't last a day with moderate to heavy usage of the internet on it.
    my battery will last just over a day with very minimal internet usage.

that's from experience. htc desire on vodafone ireland.

i carry a spare battery in my wallet. rarely use it though because i can charge my battery in work, in the car, after work, etc.

Random wrote: »
    my battery won't last a day with moderate to heavy usage of the internet on it.
    my battery will last just over a day with very minimal internet usage.

that's from experience. htc desire on vodafone ireland.

i carry a spare battery in my wallet. rarely use it though because i can charge my battery in work, in the car, after work, etc.

Which version of Sense are you using?
    Do you use a task killer?
    Also do you have the calender widget on one of your main screens as its a serious battery killer.

Wow man that sucks,

Lets see on my Desire as of now:

11hours since Unplugged,

Remaining battery 70%

Usage:
    Display 30%
    Beatiful Widgets 29%
    Standby 18%
    Idle 17%
    Android 3%
    Browser 2%
    OS 2%

I have push email on 2 accounts running all day, along with a regular updating calender widget and Facebook widget, I have browsed the web for around an hour over the course of the day and updated 2 app's.

Made probably 25minutes worth of calls and sent around 10 texts. The battery would run safely until around 2-3pm tomorrow.

I used it at a festival for 2 days and even used it as a torch at night (for about 2hours) but with admitadley no internet use and few calls. Was dead by the end of the second day though.

Vodafone Desire owner I would check your battery drains (go to Settings, About Phone, Battery) also check did you get gipped with your battery it should be a 1400mAh battery.

Tip's for sparing battery, turn off Wireless when not in range of one, turn off bluetooth when not in range of a device.... This will save SHED loads of battery.

Also if your an advanced and competant user you could root the device and flash a better ROM to it.

Advertisement