Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal age for getting tats

Options
  • 04-01-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Guys I really need to know how old must you be before getting a tat?

I have a very young 15 year old almost 16 - that says she is legal to get a tat? I think she is way too young & stupid! I love tats but would think long & hard before I have my skin touched! I feel she will regret what she gets done!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

there are no legal age requirements for getting tattooed in Ireland. Anyone worth their salt will refuse to tattoo under 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

If a studio has Insurance then the insurance company will put a minimum age limit of 18 on all tattoos.If a studio has gone to the trouble of arranging liability insurance you can be fairly sure their standards will be high. It's usually the people who have insurance who need it the least. Unfortunately as has already been said, Ireland has no legal minimum age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just tell your daughter that although theres no law regarding tattoo age, she's seriously putting her health at risk by going to a place that doesn't ask for i.d and that she's leaving her self open to all sorts of infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

No legal age, but you're right way too young to be getting ink.
    Tell her to hold off until she's at least 18 if not older

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ask her if she likes paying rent, bills and for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Hi,

I got my first tattoo done when I was 15 yrs old. Its a small tattoo but I loved it and still love it (Im 29 now) - My mother actually came with me when I got the tattoo done to ensure that I didnt get anything ridiculous looking. The place I got it done was/is very reputable.

My mother didnt want me to get a tattoo at the time - but she knew how serious I was about getting one so she supported me because she really didnt want me to get one done behind her back - Im glad she gave me advice at the time though, otherwise I might have gotten something stupid done ....

If your daughter is serious about getting something done and she is mature for her age - then why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

If your daughter is serious about getting something done and she is mature for her age - then why not.

there are a number of reasons why not

1. Tattooing carries a risk of infection, potentially serious. If the person doing the tattoo does not carry out the correct hygiene procedures, there is the potential to spread hepatitis. Deciding to get tattooed is a decision that should not be undertaken by children.

2. In addition to infection that is the fault of the person tattooing, poor aftercare could possibly lead to infection running from minor to major. Children are not to be trusted to undertake this responsibilty. Further even a fairly minor infection could seriously damage the end result.

3. There is a small chance of an allergic reaction, which in extreme cases can lead to serious scarring. Children are not capable of making an informed decision on whether they are willing to take that risk.

4. Tattoos placed on body parts which are still growing have been known to move and or warp.

5. Children cannot make informed choices on permanent changes to their appearance. They cannot make informed decisions that will effect their job options/choice of partner etc. Neither can your parents, as they don't know what sort of person their children will grow up to be.

I'm glad you are happy, that does NOT mean it is the right thing to do.

Hi,

I got my first tattoo done when I was 15 yrs old. Its a small tattoo but I loved it and still love it (Im 29 now) - My mother actually came with me when I got the tattoo done to ensure that I didnt get anything ridiculous looking.

The only thing more annoying than a 15/16 year old walking in wanting a tattoo is a 15/16 year old with their parents.
    Do parents not realise when they say "But I said he/she can have one" that they are asking the artist to place a permanent mark on their child. If I was to slap their darling child across the face they would be the first to have me hauled through every court in the land seeking retribution and compensation, yet they are willing to stand by and watch while somebody potentially ruins their future life career etc. Some how it just doesn't make sense.
    If you love your child then you will do all you can to protect them and sometimes that means protecting them from themselves. No, its a simple little word but it can have long term and far reaching consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

The only thing more annoying than a 15/16 year old walking in wanting a tattoo is a 15/16 year old with their parents.
    Do parents not realise when they say "But I said he/she can have one" that they are asking the artist to place a permanent mark on their child. If I was to slap their darling child across the face they would be the first to have me hauled through every court in the land seeking retribution and compensation, yet they are willing to stand by and watch while somebody potentially ruins their future life career etc. Some how it just doesn't make sense.
    If you love your child then you will do all you can to protect them and sometimes that means protecting them from themselves. No, its a simple little word but it can have long term and far reaching consequences.

Well im glad that my mother took a sensible view when I wanted to get a tattoo done. She knew I was serious and that I was going to get one done whether she liked it or not, so she decided to be supportive and geared me towards a tattoo design that I still love (14 years later). She went through all the problems of getting a tattoo done and it was mentioned a million times that I might regret it etc. I know of a couple of girls who went behind their parents backs and got tattoos done when they were 15/16 and got stupid looking tattoos like big black spiders and cobwebs etc - which look silly now. This is not that 1950's - The majority of teenagers dont listen to their parents if they say no. My mother loved me and protected me by listening to what I wanted - Which im glad she did as I probaly would have went behind her back and got one anyway.

AS you say Pierced Off - If you love your children you will do all you can to protect them - Im a mother now of 2 Children and if in a couple of years time, my daughter comes to me and says she wants a tattoo - I hope that I will be just as supportive as my mother was to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

AS you say Pierced Off - If you love your children you will do all you can to protect them - Im a mother now of 2 Children and if in a couple of years time, my daughter comes to me and says she wants a tattoo - I hope that I will be just as supportive as my mother was to me.

If you have read any of the responses on these threads, you should know that the places that would be willing to tattoo your daughter if she is under 18 are NOT the kind of places that anybody would recommend you go to for a tattoo.

You being there and telling a tattoo artist that they should tattoo your daughter would not make a blind bit of a difference in a reputable tattoo studio. So you are left with the options of doing the sensible thing and convincing your child of the benifits of waiting until they are 18 to get tattooed, or bringing your child to a scratcher who doesn't care enough about what should be done, about your child, or what they want, and just wants your money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Pierced off is bang on with his advice.

In the UK (and this is something that should be introduced here) any licenced artists that tattoo a minor under 18 with or without parental consent can be put on the sex offenders register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Pierced off is bang on with his advice.

In the UK (and this is something that should be introduced here) any licenced artists that tattoo a minor under 18 with or without parental consent can be put on the sex offenders register.
    wow didnt know that you see lots of underage with tats these days :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

should be the same here.
    As i said countless times here, i wanted my tattoo since i was about 15.

I got it for my 21st birthday, one must be sure they want something that will be there FOREVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

When you think about it it must be hard for the tattooists when "the parents" come in with the kid, afterall short of demanding passports and a birth certificate you couldn't be certain that they are really this kid's parents.

Most reputable tattoo studios DO demand passports.

Advertisement