Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The photography institute.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Never heard of them. I'd rather learn the basics myself through trial and error and then getting your peers to help you out through C&C, photowalks, meetups and this forum which could be a curse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Never heard of them. Why not visit them. According to the website they are on 28-32 Upper Pembrook St. Thats some address. In prime real estate. Yet no pictures of the facilities???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd say you'd find all the info you want online, so no real need for the online course (except to get the diploma)

Doing a course with a real person will allow them to critique your efforts and correct you as you go, rather than just imparting information.

I'd probably contact the Dublin Camera Club and do their introductory course before shelling out €650 for an online course/curriculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

came across the site before but I don't know anything about them/haven't heard about them. sorry.

Not to be confused with the institute of photography / iop.ie (formerly digital beginners) who generally get sterling reviews of their courses - which are I think shorter and more targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 falsers

Chris and An Cath Dubh, never heard of either of those places at all.

I'm very green at this photography lark, I love taking photos and take them mostly of my daughter and areas near my house. I do a bit of touching up on the shots but I feel like I just don't know where to start with all the information! It's overwhelming, I don't understand half the words in this forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

1: Buy Understanding Exposure.

2: Join your local camera club.

3: Check out IOP courses.

4: Trial and error

5: Go to a few boards outings, post picts here, pick up tips here.

Take any one or any combination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I sent off an email asking if the course if recognised by any governing body in Ireland and if they have any connection/contact with the Irish Media.

it seems like its an online "business" which basically doesn't do much only teach the basics and give you hints and ideas which are common knowledge.

Ps. am tempted to do the course then set up myself (then adapt it to suit my needs) - as I'd have more experience with the Irish Media Circuit I could teach people how to become a freelance photojournalist in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Ps. am tempted to do the course then set up myself (then adapt it to suit my needs) - as I'd have more experience with the Irish Media Circuit I could teach people how to become a freelance photojournalist in Ireland.

That sounds interesting! Where does one actually go to get validation?

And Falsers: all advice given here is spot on - I wouldn't chance the institute as it's not known, and as a rule, no reputation often means a bad one. (unless they literally just started off). In Dublin, I would certainly recommend courses organized by Dublin Camera Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

falsers wrote: »
    Chris and An Cath Dubh, never heard of either of those places at all.

I'm very green at this photography lark, I love taking photos and take them mostly of my daughter and areas near my house. I do a bit of touching up on the shots but I feel like I just don't know where to start with all the information! It's overwhelming, I don't understand half the words in this forum :D

Ah, you'll be grand - you are like most of us here ;)

But seriously - throw open a new thread with any questions you have - people are generally really helpful around here and don't mind explaining things if you need a dig out with anything.

Also feel free if/when you are confident enough to throw up a C&C thread to see what people might suggest to you about your images.

sNarah wrote: »
    That sounds interesting! Where does one actually go to get validation?

its not really a validation - more of explaining the unwritten rules of the Irish Media Circuit, proper manners and photo etiquite being one of the main ones.... how to react in certain situations? (explaining the laws and regulations - and grey areas surrounding taking images and using images in Ireland)

or were you talking about course validation - If thats the case I meant recognition by FETAC or other similar source.

EDIT: Thats my new years resolution - to write a photography course teaching how to become a freelance photographer and how to make money from doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

or were you talking about course validation - If thats the case I meant recognition by FETAC or other similar source.

Jah the latter!

Thats my new years resolution - to write a photography course teaching how to become a freelance photographer and how to make money from doing it.

That could be an interesting read/course/tutorial.

lol.... could be a very fast tutorial .... turn up - take photos !!, send 'em to me and I'll pass them on to the papers...if you get printed I'll tell ya who to invoice.

ah - it would probably turn into a book about experiences I've had over the years and what mistakes I made.

we'll see - will talk with a couple of other photographers and get input.... watch this space !!

just got a reply back from the institute:

in effect I asked 2 questions:

1. Does the course offer a qualification recognised by any education body in Ireland?
    Answer: The response was along the lines of - "we are registered with the UKRLP (United Kingdom Register of Learning Providers)" - which essentially means they are registered to teach...which makes them a registered company - which they would have to do in order to provide such a service in the UK.

2. Does the institute have any links to the Irish Media?
    Answer - no response has been given to that question - so I replied asking the same question again (I'm awaiting a reply).

Long and short of it is ... avoid this course - it offers no recognition and at best you might learn the basics of photography and some generic hints/tips which you could get from hanging around the photo section of Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the name is very confusing with the Institute of Photography, which as Paul says above, is well proven , Dave is an excellent teacher, and I too would recommend his courses, without hesitation

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i get their emails and intend to go to one of the free photo shoots next week. The HDR one

I think the free half day course you get when you buy a canon is with them.

That is in Feb. But to be honest I dont think I will go as I believe I have a basic understanding of the camera and dont need to go over stuff I already know.

You're confusing the Institute of Photography (digitalbeginners) with this crowd (The Photography Institute).

Go with the former, and stay well away from the latter. :D

Clear??

Recommended - the Institute of Photography
    Avoid - The Photography Institute

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be surprised if the IOP don't have a basis on which to make a legal complaint about this crowd trading under a stupidly similar name.

got a reply for the second question:
    Yes, you are correct we are not accredited in Ireland, but as I mentioned, recognised worldwide as an online education provider.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

whats the significance of accreditation, if they course content is good is that not whats important?

• Advertisement

whats the significance of accreditation, if they course content is good is that not whats important?

I'd say if you're going to spend that amount of money on a course, you'd want it to be recognised/accredited - FETAC or something similar.

they claim to teach how to be a freelance photographer - its different in each country - a freelance photographer needs to have contacts/connections.

Accreditation in a course would benefit you if you were to do subsequent night courses - it could mean skipping a module and in cases like this ...possibly saving thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 falsers

Paulw wrote: »
    I'd say if you're going to spend that amount of money on a course, you'd want it to be recognised/accredited - FETAC or something similar.

Yeah, would defo want something decent at the end of it!!

pcphoto, love the idea of a course/module on becoming a freelance photographer but think its safe to say I'm a long way off :D

Have looked on the Dublin camera clubs website so hopefully do their course and get some experience. Will be back with questions and maybe some photos :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

falsers wrote: »
    http://www.thephotographyinstitute.ie/index.cfm/apg/home

Has anyone heard of this place? any feedback? They're looking for €650 for the course and I'm not really willing to shell out if its going to be bogey :)

Thanks
    Sounds Riskeeey to me.
    I don’t think its that easy to learn photography through the internet.
    I have completed two course
    One with Dave (institute) and he is really very good. A little pricy but worth it.
    I also completed one in Ballsbridge through a girl called Miriam O Connor and she was excellent. Check her up on the net she knows her stuff. That only cost me less than €200.
    The course I done with Dave was good but it was my first time and there was a lot of not knowing what to ask. The course in Ballsbridge was better because I knew the questions to ask .
    I would advise doing a course as it can be a complicated hobby

Miriam is running another course starting this january in Ballsbridge I think the enroll date is Jan 10th

Advertisement