Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about Eircom resellers

• 04-01-2011 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

My question is basically this - are there any different contention ratios amongst the other providers?

Is there anything else that will affect the reliability of the service?

I'm unable to get UPC or magnet in my area, basically stuck with DSL providers so any information to help me make the decision would be great, cheers.

I'm with Eircom atm and experience very intermittent service. As they are substantially more expensive I was hoping to switch to someone more reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Every other DSL provider in Ireland use Eircom's lines. Best to stick with what you have now, if you're already with Eircom, and just get your intermittent service fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

roast wrote: »
    Every other DSL provider in Ireland use Eircom's lines. Best to stick with what you have now, if you're already with Eircom, and just get your intermittent service fixed.

They won't fix it (they've come out several times), using the same lines doesn't mean they would have the same contention does it?

And as for sticking with what you have now, there is a vast difference in price between providers so I'm trying to determine if there's anything else worth considering aside from solely the price.

Aye, the only things to consider is the price/bundles/addons etc. .. apologies.

What I would recommend to do though is to ensure your modem is working properly. Also check filters etc. There are plenty of things that could possibly be the problem, and I would highly recommend to try get the issues sorted before you change provider. Because every DSL provider uses Eircom lines (and yes, theres no difference in contention nowadays. If there is, it is miniscule) you're going to have the exact same intermittent BB problems as you have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've to agree with Roast, i've switched but you end going back as no reseller can offer you the same support as there eircom lines regardless what name it's being sold under.

If you won't take our advice, switch to Vodafone for bigger caps and less money. You'll then see what we mean.

no reseller can offer you the same support as there eircom lines regardless what name it's being sold under.

Untrue, although I see where you're coming from.
    Any other provider using Eircom lines have access to the same support infrastructure (tools, exchange checkers, engineers) as Eircom have. I've even noticed that some smaller providers offer a better level of support than eircom themselves.

• Advertisement

Currently on a 3mb line with Eircom, for the same price I could be on an 8mb line with Vodafone with 4 times the cap or a 7mb line with digiweb with 100gb cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Any other provider using Eircom lines have access to the same support infrastructure (tools, exchange checkers, engineers) as Eircom have. I've even noticed that some smaller providers offer a better level of support than eircom themselves.

That's not entirely true, they have access to a small subset of tools that eircom provide (which are pretty useless) and its the same eircom engineers, who do you think they are going to look after first, there own eircom customers...or other people from other company's with problems...

demixed wrote: »
    That's not entirely true, they have access to a small subset of tools that eircom provide (which are pretty useless) and its the same eircom engineers, who do you think they are going to look after first, there own eircom customers...or other people from other company's with problems...

Is it only Eircom engineers who are able to carry out repair works on the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

demixed wrote: »

That's been my experience, i'd love to leave them but won't after the crap I went through with Vodafone support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

oldmantime wrote: »
    Is there anything else that will affect the reliability of the service?
    Yes. Vodafone (and Perlico) reset connections at least once a day. Your service will be out for 30-40 seconds and when it comes back your IP address will have changed. This can make working from home very difficult. As a result I would recommend a different ISP if working from home is important to you.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Yes. Vodafone (and Perlico) reset connections at least once a day. Your service will be out for 30-40 seconds and when it comes back your IP address will have changed. This can make working from home very difficult. As a result I would recommend a different ISP if working from home is important to you.

once a day outage for 30-40 seconds is a lot better than anywhere between 10-50 I usually get with Eircom, is there a set time they do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Is it only Eircom engineers who are able to carry out repair works on the line?

Yup, no-one else can touch them, so no matter how some of these other companys support want to help you...they can't really do anything (then other times there just lazy and ****e)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

once a day outage for 30-40 seconds is a lot better than anywhere between 10-50 I usually get with Eircom, is there a set time they do this?

What exactly are your intermittent problems with Eircom? What are your line stats - thats always the place to start. Intermittent breaks are often caused by poor snr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There is no set time, but it is mostly (not always) around 24 hours since they last did it. Sometimes it's twice a day. If you have a Netgear router there's a good chance it will require a hard reboot (ie it'll need to be unplugged from the mains).

If eircom's service is flaky for you it's likely that moving to a reseller will only add a layer of abstraction between you and those than can solve the problem. i.e. it'll probably just make things worse for you.

I had a serious problem at a client installation a few years ago and eircom claimed they could do nothing. I suggested the client tell their eircom account manager that he was pulling all business from them if they didn't resolve the problem. It was resolved the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I second that. Eircom is split in two. You have the Eircom service sellers and the Eircom service fixers. They are separate entities since deregulation and no unfair sharing, or preference is given. The repair people repair the lines for a vodafone customer in the same way they do it for an Eircom customer.

dub45 wrote: »
    What exactly are your intermittent problems with Eircom? What are your line stats - thats always the place to start. Intermittent breaks are often caused by poor snr.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 15.10 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 41.50 25.00
    CRC Errors 51 0

My problems are that I get disconnected all the time, the modem reads the DSL as "down" and it takes a minute or two for it to reconnect

Advertisement