Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Expo 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

tk123 wrote: »
    DTI asked us to join a demo... He wee'd and poo'd in the ring! The shame :(

Ha Ha, you just cheered me right up, thanks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ha Ha, you just cheered me right up, thanks:D

Chris I brought him out loads of times and and nothing!! I think if there had of been in and outside areas like last time he would have had a grassy area to go in. He was a bit unsettled with the crowds and some of the dogs that had haltis on for some reason but he's afraid of loads of things so no surprises..Anyhoos he was delighted to see his DTI buddies and after a while he was getting used to random people petting him, passing all the different dogs in the breed village where we also met Andrea :) and walking in the crowds so I was treating it more as a socialization exercise than anything else as he wouldn't really be out in crowds like that. DTI asked us to join in so i took him out again twice and nothing. 1 min in he has a wee then a minute later he poo'd as we were walking - in fairness the lead was loose lol. The guys were fine about it - these things happen, don't worry about it etc but I was mortified as there was a crowd around the ring :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Haha tk that's hilarious! I seen a demo from DTI this morning but dont remember a retriever in it. I enjoyed today but thought it was better last year where there were stalls outside and a nice grass area to give the dogs a chance.

Lexi had the best time, was so well behaved and loved all the attention. I went early so it wouldnt be too busy to give her a chance to get used to the crowds as she wouldn't be used to anything like that but she was an angel. Wrecked now though!

Bought 30kg of luath for €80 and a sheet of vetbed plus a cut off for €20. My mam is good at haggling!

Was lovely to meet Andrea and her two dotes. Loved the two staffies in the breed village, so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Chris I agree pretty much with everything you said except I didn't have any agression from other dogs. Brook was in a bit of a mood from the start as she doesn't like wearing her headcollar but it looks like a muzzle so she had to have it on, then with everything being so cramped she really wasn't enjoying herself. As said last year had alot outside so it was great that your dog could have a breather while you still had things to see.
    Highlight for me was the breed village, some of the breeds I'd only ever seen in pictures so seeing them in the flesh was great. Of course the Rottie represntatives were gorgeous but I am bias ;-)
    All in all a good day out but it did fall short of last years.

I got a fiver off the vetbed thanks to Andrea suggesting I haggle lol - better than nothing I suppose! I needed the big sheets for his new crate for when he's on crate rest. The guy offered to take it out to the car for me - bloody hell I wish I had of said yes - I forgot I was parked in the overflow at simonscourt road so had the madra, a bag of robbies and 2 of the large sheets of vet bed in a plastic bag to bring over!! My arms were killing me when I got to the car lol!!:rolleyes:
    Anyhoos it was the afternoon loose lead demo he pooped in - at least it was nuggets I suppose and not a giant turd! :P So embarrasing thou - everyone was cooing over him and calling him over as we walked near them - oh he's so cute then BANG - bombs away. :(

• Advertisement

Oh and forgot to mention Brook kept rubbing her face off passerbys legs cos she dislikes her head collar. So just to say if you thought a woman with a Rottie groped you today it wasn't me it was my dog!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

First time to go to this! Couldn't take the risk of bringing our dog unfortuantely as he would have tried to get at the smaller animals but got a few prezzies for him that he's now in the process of examining :D couldn't believe it when i saw that cockroaches are being sold as pets now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Did you pick it up? :D
    gidget wrote: »
    First time to go to this! Couldn't take the risk of bringing our dog unfortuantely as he would have tried to get at the smaller animals but got a few prezzies for him that he's now in the process of examining :D couldn't believe it when i saw that cockroaches are being sold as pets now!

Thats mad! How could you call a cockroach a pet. :eek: I currently have 2 very large wolf spiders called Arthur and Guinness in lunchboxes waiting until I can release them into a field or somewhere far away from the house so I suppose anything is possible! :D Their a very good solution to my current earwig problem!

Was going to go up to it but decided not to as it would have been an expensive day. :(

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Did you pick it up? :D

Yes lol - I always have poo bags at the ready! :p;)

Here's what he was like afterwards - after 30 mins of laughing at him doing this non stop I woke him up, led him out of the bed and then back in :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hey guys, home chillling after a long day at the pet expo. Was lovely to meet all you guys today:)
    Tilly, sorry for Flo being a big grumpy with Lexi, she can be a bit of a madam with bitches sometimes, so sorry about that:o

Chris, Titan is fab, was great to meet you and your family. Sorry to hear about poor Titan, that wasnt nice at all.

Tk123, nice to meet you and Bailey, great news about the vet bed, no harm in asking, thats what i say :D

Irushe, nice to meet you and the lovely Brooke and Cleo and your partner.

Can i ask anyone who brought their own dogs today, were you asked to produce your vaccination certs when you came in? I know someone who wants to bring their dog tomorrow but they cant find the vaccination card and someone told them they are meant to have it but i hadnt heard of anyone being asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Spent the bulk of today & overall very very happy, we all had a great time.
    Took the kids & our Fab Retreiver.
    Couldnt get over how well behaved he was, not bothered by all the noise & people coming up to him. Loved the Breed Village, most people happy to chat - Loved the ROTTIE, a complete dote & also the St. Bernard - the 2 people looking after these were superb, happy to chat & very good with my little girl who is 4. However I did find a few not interested in engaging with a bit of chat - obviously not fond of kids:)
    Some good deals to be had on the stalls & got a €20 discount voucher from one which will definately be used BUT ZERO Freebies - last year went home with 2 rucksacks full!
    Was disappointed with the outdoor area, they should have had some of the grass areas open for the dogs to chill out on ( & go to the toilet ) also couldnt see any fresh water supply & ended up giving a couple of people water as their dogs needed some. also missed the outdoor training classes & displays - great way to get the kids to let off steam with a run around outside which wasnt possible this year.
    My little girl loved the fun dog show & we came away with 3 Certificates including 1 for best Rescue Dog which we were thrilled with.
    Great concept with the adoption Centre & hope with all the attention on it many dogs will be rehomed.
    I had an issue with one teenager today who elbowed my Retreiver in the face on purpose ( which hurt him ) because he put his head on her lap to be petted - was so so mad - why go to something like the pet expo if you don't like dogs!!!
    Was very very impressed with the volume of kids & parents who asked before petting Cody - but equally unimpressed with the couple of dogs who snapped for no reason at Cody & once @ my little girl - if your dog is unpredictable why bring him/her to a place surrounded with other dogs & people ( all of the dogs whos snapped - all owners admitted they can be hit & miss with other dogs )

On the back of Codys Behavior & laid back attitude he is being assessed by the Irish Therapy Dogs next wk - Proud as punch of him:)

Looking forward to next year but bring back better facilities outside

Hey Marley, was i chatting to you at the Rottweiler Stand, if so that was me and thanks for the compliment:D I was chatting to so many people all day. Cooper was loveing all the attention, he was so well behaved and im so proud of them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

only putting 2 & 2 together now:) yep that was you & you were so nice about my 4yr old being very friendly towards Cooper - Cooper seemed to have a permanent smile of his face ( Passed your stand a good few times & he always seemed to be smiling:)
    andreac wrote: »
    Hey Marley, was i chatting to you at the Rottweiler Stand, if so that was me and thanks for the compliment:D I was chatting to so many people all day. Cooper was loveing all the attention, he was so well behaved and im so proud of them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Brodi's goin up tomorrow wit my wife, not gonna be making it myself this year as working.

So if ya see a Boxer wit a bit of white on her face and a tail go say Hi, and remind my wife to wake me at 5!!!

Awh thats lovely, he met lots of lovely children today, he was in his element. He absol adores kids and lots of them got free kisses and hugs from Cooper, and he got the same too off lots of people. Im just glad to see people getting to see what rotties are really like and how great they are with all people including children once they are handled well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just back from my first time at the pet expo and I have to say I enjoyed it so much! The breed village was fantastic, loved getting to meet dogs in the flesh rather than in pictures. I was particularly besotted with the great danes, min pins, shar peis and the rotties! Got a great deal on the vet bed too, only a tenner for the biggest one cut down. I really really loved it but would have liked a bit better area with the cats, very few breeds there and I was extremely annoied to see people bringing their dogs up there because they are ''small and harmless'' grrr. Cant wait for next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

This was the first year i went to pet expo and i have to say i wasnt overly impressed at all..although i do have to say i did love the breed village all the dogs were all so well behaved and so cute...was dissapointed to see boxers and german shepards werent represented:confused:tho....the only freebie i got was a pack of dog food!!And to answer about the vaccination cert i brought my boxer over today and wasnt asked for anything at the door so shudnt be a problem;)

Can i ask anyone who brought their own dogs today, were you asked to produce your vaccination certs when you came in? I know someone who wants to bring their dog tomorrow but they cant find the vaccination card and someone told them they are meant to have it but i hadnt heard of anyone being asked.

I know it's been on their website but for the 3 years that I've brought dogs I've never been asked for certs.

Thats great guys, thanks for letting me know. I didnt think they checked but just wanted to make sure.

Yeah Sassy, overall i didnt think its great either, not really much to it, thought there would be more at it myself. #Glad to hear the breed village impressed you.

Most breed clubs, or people involved in most breeds were asked if they were interested, im guessing as they werent there, they either couldnt or didnt want to attend...:(

lrushe wrote: »
    I know it's been on their website but for the 3 years that I've brought dogs I've never been asked for certs.

Yeah I wasn't asked this year or last year.

+1 on your post marley123. We had a few people unimpressed when my guy went to say hello to their dog - the leonbergers owners seemed to be a bit nervous of me even petting the therapy one - which I would assume is part of it's job description?! Also some people didn't seem to want any dogs even passing by them let alone asking for a pet. Saw a few dogs fighting with each other too any some kids getting a fright with it all :(. We got water from the red mills stand - he was like goldilocks drinking from all their bowls!:pac: We saw lovely staffies/pitbulls but my eejit was afraid of their muzzles so I couldn't pet them. And lols lets just say the meercats display turned PG at one stage when we passed :pac:
    I dont really bother with food sample freebies but I didn't see any treats going like last year - there was tables of free stuff to take? We got a handful of treats off dogfood direct who said they'll start stocking robbies salmon and potato :), a frisbee off Allianz because I thanked them for the great service we've always gotten off them and that's it. I bough vet bed, 2 bags of Robbies, a fleece tug from dogs for the disabled and some cards off guide dogs. Last year there seemed to be people everywhere giving food samples and treats - you couldn't pass a stand without being given a goodie bag!

• Advertisement

Oh and forgot to mention Brook kept rubbing her face off passerbys legs cos she dislikes her head collar. So just to say if you thought a woman with a Rottie groped you today it wasn't me it was my dog!!!!

lrushe did you have your chi with you as well? If you got there about 1.15 I seen you as we were standing outside talking to George Burns! I thought to myself it might be you!
    Hey guys, home chillling after a long day at the pet expo. Was lovely to meet all you guys today:)
    Tilly, sorry for Flo being a big grumpy with Lexi, she can be a bit of a madam with bitches sometimes, so sorry about that:o

Dont be silly, Lexi didnt even notice. I wasnt really paying attention either :o Glad ye got a good reaction from people :D

I was going to talk to George for a laugh but he was busy everytime we passed which was loads of times - bold boy kept getting the scent of the bowls of Robbies! :D

[Quote=TillyGirl;74829882

lrushe did you have your chi with you as well? If you got there about 1.15 I seen you as we were standing outside talking to George Burns! I thought to myself it might be you!
    [/Quote]

Yeah had the little one with us too. Andrea said you were around but I had you pictured with a yorkie, I forgot you recently got a little staffie!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

I thought last year was better & bigger :) Still met loads of lovely dogs but, im in love with the shar pei's , bristish bulldogs, massifts & the staffies :)
    I dint bring any of mine along but i will next year. i didnt see many bull breeds, so why not get out and tell everyone that we're still here :D

I heard a few tiffs , and seen a husky grab hold of one of the little goats :eek: poor thing , and its owner was very upset! I have to say of the very little few bull breeds i dis see they where very well behaved! We came home with loads of freebies. i found it this year you had to go up & ask for a free sample of 'a dog food'. Came home with loads & loads of Haribo sweets too lol

TaraR wrote: »
    Came home with loads & loads of Haribo sweets too lol

OMG - I forgot all about my Haribos!! Thanks!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

This was my first year at the expo and I really enjoyed it, kinda raging I couldn't take my jack russel & Labrador up, they would have loved meeting all the other dogs and people.
    I got loads of freebies, vouchers & frisbies. Well one frisbee is still left surviving heehee. I bought a new bag for to carry my jack russel on the train every weekend. Shes been sitting in it all evening delighted with herself :D ... It was fantastic seeing dog breeds i'd only ever seen in books or tv like the Leonbergers. Those two staffies in the breed village were the sweetest little things :)

I was kinda disappointed with the cats as there weren't that many breeds, I've been dying for a Birman for years so I was quite happy with seeing those, they were stunning and the lady who owned them was just lovely

marley123 I saw you guys & your golden retriever today hes absolutely gorgeous, I was shocked to hear someone hurt him! he was so sweet when he came over to me and my mum at the seats :)

Yeah had the little one with us too. Andrea said you were around but I had you pictured with a yorkie, I forgot you recently got a little staffie!

I brought Tilly with me two years ago and she was in the fashion show :D last year we were on the EGAR stand so wanted to bring Lex this year. She was so well behaved. So many people commented on how sweet she is! I thought about going over to talk to you but it would have seemed stalkerish to recognise someone by their dogs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

scudzilla wrote: »
    Brodi's goin up tomorrow wit my wife, not gonna be making it myself this year as working.

So if ya see a Boxer wit a bit of white on her face and a tail go say Hi, and remind my wife to wake me at 5!!!

! There's a twenty foot boa constrictor down the back Miriam might like!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The little girl has been snoozing all evening after her day at Pet Expo. My boy stayed at home as he probably would have had us kicked out (he had a great time there last year, but that was before his dog issues had emerged).

I don't think that it was a patch on last year's show at all. However, I'll outline the positive aspects first.

We came home with enough freebies to justify the price of the two tickets bought. We got a lot of food samples from the various exhibitors and a couple of toys off Allianz. The little one also got a groom. I went over to the IPDGA stand to ask for some grooming advice, and she got a brush and comb, a little trim and a spray of lovely smelling doggy perfume.

We also enjoyed meeting some of the breeds. As a terrier nut, I loved the Airedale, who I got to have a proper chat with outside....I'm in love tongue.gif The Borders were so sweet as well, and one of them was very licky! It was also great to see some of the more unusual breeds that I have never actually met in the flesh before!

Now for the downsides of the Expo.

As others have pointed out, there were loads of freebies last year. We had travelled out to that by Dart but had to get a cab back to the city centre as we could not carry all the bags full of treats, food, etc that we had accumulated. It was quite disappointing that there was nowhere near the amount of freebies this year.

The decision to cram everything inside was a disaster.

When we arrived, it was so hard to walk around due to the crowds, and my little girl was very nervous at first. I had to pick her up a few times as it was just too packed. She relaxed after her groom though, and it had also quietened down a bit by then.
    They should have kept the agility ring and some of the exhibitors outside. It was lovely last year, the way it was spread out between the indoor and outdoor sections. The space given to the agility ring took up quite a bit of room that really could have been used to make the Expo less cramped. Also, it would have encouraged a better balance of people being inside and out. Also, like others here, I couldn't find the outdoor watering stations that the website advertised.
    Some of the accounts that I have read on here have been upsetting but, sadly, not surprising given the cramped layout of the venue. I saw a little pygmy goat that looked pregnant - was that the one that was attacked? And, does anyone know if she was ok? As for the tiffs between dogs, it was unfortunately inevitable given the small space.
    Last year was three days, while this was just two, so that surely also contributed to the overcrowding.
    Also, the entertainment stage was far too close to the stands, and some of the musical acts were far too loud and piercing. I found my ears hurting, so I can only imagine how the animals felt.

Also, this year I noticed that they didn't hand out a programme of events, which was really handy last year.

I don't regret going to it. We had some good experiences and got some freebies. However, it was a huge letdown after last year and I hope that the organisers go back to a more spread out format next year (with more freebies too!).

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I brought Tilly with me two years ago and she was in the fashion show :D last year we were on the EGAR stand so wanted to bring Lex this year. She was so well behaved. So many people commented on how sweet she is! I thought about going over to talk to you but it would have seemed stalkerish to recognise someone by their dogs!!

Ah not at all, that's how I was planning to recgonise you, just got the dog wrong lol!!!

Advertisement