Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Mathematics Entrance Examination

Options
  • 04-01-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm in 6th year at the moment and am thinking about doing aeronautical engineering here. However i'm doing pass maths, so ill have to take the special entrance exam. Is this a bad idea though, seeing as how ill only have about 2 months to learn off the whole honors maths syllabus except section B of paper 2?

It says all i need is a pass in this exam, but am i better off doing something else in college? I don't need this course because i want to be an airline pilot, which doesn't even require you to have gone to college. i just think it would be interesting :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If you're want to be a pilot just do something which you may use as a plan B as it were. If this means doing Aero Eng then do it! An arts degree would be a bit less effort though...I know personally that many companies look favourably upon hiring crew that have a degree along with their ATPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I was looking into engineering common entry in cit, requires an a2 in ordinary maths, and then i'd go into mechanical engineering, i love cars nearly as much as aviation. Would this be a better choice do you think, besides trying to learn honors maths in 2 months? What would airline employers think of that course, would they prefer much more to see aeronautical engineering?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Mech and aero are quite similar. You could do one and a postgrad in the other however they're kinda unrelated to being a pilot. Look into how to train as a pilot. If you're still set on aero you'll want to get grinds over the summer and you're still not guaranteed a place in the course regardless of how you do in the course exam.

Yeah i don't need them to be a pilot, I just want something to fall back on if the pilot thing doesn't work out and to have gone to college. Yeah i think i'm going towards mech engineering...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Basically if an airline sees you've done a degree it is evident you can put your mind to something- American companies in particular. In a way I'd almost advise you to spend your time and money in a flight school.

• Advertisement

So you're saying not to bother with college and to go straight ahead with the flight training?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

You'll find the aero course extremely difficult if you only have the pass maths course covered in LC

Yeah was thinking that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Hey,

Im second year Aero eng. I know somebody who got in to the course by means of the UL assessment in the Summer. However he didnt get the C3 in higher as opposed to not having done higher level maths.

I agree with Neon circles, if you are dead set on being an airline pilot then do an easier course than aero. It is bloody hard and very frustrating at times, especially when you see arts students with much less hours than you. An airline recruiter wont care that you can tell him the characteristics of a NACA 2412 airfoil or the bypass ratio of a CFM-56 engine... all he will care about is how many flight hours you have and how good you performed at training!

So in other words, do a course you will enjoy, that will give you something to fall back on if pilot training doesnt work out and enjoy your four years in college, picking up as many transferable skills as possible that the airline worker will really be interested in.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Hey,

Im second year Aero eng. I know somebody who got in to the course by means of the UL assessment in the Summer. However he didnt get the C3 in higher as opposed to not having done higher level maths.

I agree with Neon circles, if you are dead set on being an airline pilot then do an easier course than aero. It is bloody hard and very frustrating at times, especially when you see arts students with much less hours than you. An airline recruiter wont care that you can tell him the characteristics of a NACA 2412 airfoil or the bypass ratio of a CFM-56 engine... all he will care about is how many flight hours you have and how good you performed at training!

So in other words, do a course you will enjoy, that will give you something to fall back on if pilot training doesnt work out and enjoy your four years in college, picking up as many transferable skills as possible that the airline worker will really be interested in.

Thanks very much :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement