Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Dilemma

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Cannot find any recent related topic so here goes. In 2009 I was involved in a motorcycle accident where a person drove across in front of me. I was quite badly injured but thankfully they accepted responsibility immediately. Their insurance company were very obstructive from the start and refused to pay out for even the basics - the bike, gear, towing etc, so I had to engage a solicitor. The claim is now with PIAB and will be sorted in the next two months. My problem is that today I went to get an insurance quote for a second car with FBD (I have a policy with them for 5 years and have had my own car insurance for 10 years and have made no claims or had no claims made against me in that time) and I was told that they could not quote my while a claim was pending. This is a case where I am the injured party and have done nothing wrong and now that I am trying to get back on the road I am being penalised for the actions of another. Any help or advice gladly accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm guessing you told them you are getting the payout.

Ps. you dont have to accept the PIAB offer if you don't feel its right....my GF had a taxi pull a U-Turn in front of her - she went up and over suffered 9 slipped discs in her neck/spine ..... and she refused to seek compensation for it (silly girl) .... said that the taxi driver was a nice guy and was really apologetic and genuine.

she was on either a 400 or a 650 (I cant remember) .... either way - I hope you get the right amount - and didnt suffer too much.

sorry for going off on a tangent - maybe you should ask the insurance company to give you a letter stating they are refusing to quote you on the basis that you suffered injuries in an accident (which was not your fault) ...then show that to your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Had the same problem myself 2 year ago. My wife was involved in an accident and was insured under my policy at the time. Contacted the FR and they told me that the company can refuse to quote but if the the other party had addmitted liability that the insurance company would have to quote me. So rang again and told FBD that they would have to quote me but they still refused so I asked them to put this in writing as I was going to make a complaint to the financial regulator. Next day I get a call from their customer service department and a very polite guy said that they would be willing to quote me provided I would send them a letter confirming that the other party was resposible so I went to my solictor and got the letter. Turned out when I went to cancel my existing policy my existing company price matched FBD so I stayed with them after all that bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

cbr1100 wrote: »
    Cannot find any recent related topic so here goes. In 2009 I was involved in a motorcycle accident where a person drove across in front of me. I was quite badly injured but thankfully they accepted responsibility immediately. Their insurance company were very obstructive from the start and refused to pay out for even the basics - the bike, gear, towing etc, so I had to engage a solicitor. The claim is now with PIAB and will be sorted in the next two months. My problem is that today I went to get an insurance quote for a second car with FBD (I have a policy with them for 5 years and have had my own car insurance for 10 years and have made no claims or had no claims made against me in that time) and I was told that they could not quote my while a claim was pending. This is a case where I am the injured party and have done nothing wrong and now that I am trying to get back on the road I am being penalised for the actions of another. Any help or advice gladly accepted.
    The amount of people complaning about Fbd is crazy i was with them myself and had to leave them i had a small claim for a fire 1000 euro i think it was and when i went to renew my policey it was double i asked why and they said because i made a claim why are we paying into insurance when we have to claim they get it back for putting on to out policey anyway were is the money we have be paying in to the policey gone ????

Advertisement