Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying from South America to Australia/New Zealand

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi there,

A few friends and I are thinking of travelling SA for a few months towards the end of 2011/early 2012 and possibly relocating to Oz or NZ to work for a while following that. Having done some preliminary research, it seems that air fares from SA to Oz are really expensive. Has anyone done this trip before and if so, what was the best i.e. cheapest route to take and with which airline? Dont plan on coming back via Asia as have done that trip already.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to this so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Hi, I'm thinking of doing this one myself from Oz to Argentina later next year.

Yea airfares are pretty high between the 2 continents. I know a friend who flew with both LAN Chile and Aerolineas Argentinas there and back.
    He recommended LAN.

LAN are pretty reasonable if you are going to Santiago or BA (connect through Santiago) plus there are Personal Video Entertainment on the back of the seats on their A340's. Handy for a 12-14hr flight. Aerolineas Argentinas don't have this feature just the old large screens at the front of the cabin (bulkhead).

As far as I know Qantas do flights to South America on a seasonal basis but they are quite pricey. Check out their website for any deals. Fare compare are a good website too for checking out flights.

Hope that helps. Safe travelling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

hi,

thanks so much for your relpy- i'll check all those out....

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

i did this a couple of years ago. travelled CA and SA for 8 months then NZ and worked in Melbourne.

i paid for a round the world ticket and didn't bother using the return leg - it worked out cheaper than individual flights. flights were dublin -> miami, miami -> guatemala (separate ticket), panama -> venezuela (separate ticket), santiago -> auckland, christchurch -> melbourne.

the 2 separate tickets were very cheap, abou $100 each and i believe he round the world ticket was €1800

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Of course that's another option. Get a OneWorld ticket. LAN Chile are in the same airline alliance as Qantas, British Airways and Iberia. You could get a BA or Iberia flight to South America then LAN/Qantas from Buenos Aires or Santiago to Oz/NZ. Round the world tickets are quite popular now and flexible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Right now, I think a Round the World ticket does look like the best option and pay for internal flights in SA outside of that.

thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Defo think round the world trip would be the cheapest option as long as you're going away for less than 1 year. I'm currently in NZ and going home through South America and I booked with Aerolinas to Buenos Aires and the home from there to Madrid and got a cheap Ryanair flight home. Cheapest option by a good bit.

Also be aware that internal flights in South America are very dear.

Advertisement