Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance Floor In Masons

• 04-01-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Thought I might post this as it was being discussed in the wrong thread, I was out with the Mrs over xmas and was dragged out dancing up stairs in masons, The dance floor was full but the whole thing start shaking , surely this is not right, I thought we were going to end up down stairs at one stage. A few other people have said the same in the below thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130333&page=2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I noticed that myself,

I was getting a pint at the downstairs bar and looked up, i thought i was seeing things the floor was going up and down.

Not to sound like party pooper(can i say poop?) but there are way too many people being cramed to not only masons but all the venues.
    God forbid if there was ever an accident or sudden rush in any of the venues all hell would break loose.

I think the fire safety officer has a lot to answer for how can they justify packing so many people into these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

God forbid another startdust disaster, a lot of owners only see €€€€€€€€€€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

you can call the fire officer yourself if your on a night out and think somewhere has exceeded its capacity

I have see this happen in venues in Dublin and the were closed straight away on the night, But back to the dance floor issue, I have a feeling it was never designed to hold a big crowd jumping up and down on it, I maybe be wrong but the supports or partition underneath the floor are under serious pressure there should be not this much give in it. I would be a disaster if it collapsed and could very easily happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Have you thought about bringing this up someone who may be in a position to do something about it? Im not being smart but bringing it up on boards is kinda pointless reaslly. Maybe you should make your feelings known to the owners, or to the health and safety inspector

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kryogen wrote: »
    Have you thought about bringing this up someone who may be in a position to do something about it? Im not being smart but bringing it up on boards is kinda pointless reaslly. Maybe you should make your feelings known to the owners, or to the health and safety inspector

Your telling me staff haven't noticed given that a number of users here have? Also a user has confirmed his friend who works there is aware of it:
    When this happens the bartenders downstairs get scared. I first thought I was imagining it, but then asked my friend who was working and they thought the place was going to collapse.

I'd say mention it to the owners and if you see it happening again after that call a safety inspecter or fire officier to be on the safe side. If there's nothing wrong then it won't be a problem for masons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that dancefloor area used to be completely open, and you could look downstairs over the railing, they just filled it in with a dancefloor. So I believe I would be right in saying it was not part of the original design of the building.

In saying that, and this is an amateurish explanation but I think proper dancefloors are meant to move up and down, not simply be rigid. Makes them better to absorb the force of people on them. The dancefloor in the forum is like that, you can feel it moving up and down caused not only by people dancing but also the bass from the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ your dead right, it had some big statue where the bottom bar is and an open area above it I believe where the upstairs dancefloor us now give or take.

I'd personally suggest maybe send an email or give a call anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

theres going to be some work done on it soon to reinforce it along with the bar being moved against the wall downstairs! so i belive!

alphapa wrote: »
    theres going to be some work done on it soon to reinforce it along with the bar being moved against the wall downstairs! so i belive!

Good to hear, but I still think they shouldn’t be leaving a large crowd onto it, if that did give way a disaster is not the word, Very surprised at the owners they should really know better.

And the above comment about the forum, the floor is set on springs so that’s why it would move but that’s the way it’s meant to be and bass bins would only cause a floor to vibrate not move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

alphapa wrote: »

How are they allowed to open if some reinforcing is needed?

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Thats the question, Dont understand it myself , Very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I hate drinking upstairs in masons, its too crowded and its like a sauna aswell.
    So many sweaty smelly youngfellas there.

On the otherhand thirsty Tuesdays are great €2.50 pints :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Are we looking at something like this happening?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJABLh7EIg / http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1353468.stm

SFW but a bit shocking to watch all the same. You can see in the video how people are visibly bouncing up and down on the dance-floor - reminded me how the dance-floor upstairs in the forum used to do that when crowded.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Minstrel27 wrote: »

One would assume so, cant see any development going ahead without appropriate reinforcing material. I assume a safety and fire inspection would be checking this.

Sully wrote: »
    One would assume so, cant see any development going ahead without appropriate reinforcing material. I assume a safety and fire inspection would be checking this.

The only way they have probably gotten away with it so far, there was no complaint made about it, also this was never opened upstairs when tweedy had it, and the floor wasn’t designed as a nightclub to hold large crowds on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The only way they have probably gotten away with it so far, there was no complaint made about it, also this was never opened upstairs when tweedy had it, and the floor wasn’t designed as a nightclub to hold large crowds on it.

I would have thought any changes like that would require a new inspection tho.

Apparently it did happen, so they have a death trap unknown to most members of the public, and the owners are very relaxed about sorting the problem.

Apparently it did happen, so they have a death trap unknown to most members of the public, and the owners are very relaxed about sorting the problem.

If people are that concerned, they should go to the Fire Officer and express their concerns. Therefore, it can be double checked.

Anybody think this story might reach the local papers in the next couple of weeks :). If it is I think we should be credited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Lazy journalists nick stories from boards.ie all the time, and no credit is ever given. If they quote us though....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

the floor in stage2 at the forum has been bouncy since the day it was opened.. nothing ever happened...

savic04 wrote: »
    the floor in stage2 at the forum has been bouncy since the day it was opened.. nothing ever happened...

As said above the dance in the forum is designed this way, It has springs underneath the floor to give it that effect. Masons is not the supports are acting as springs and are not designed to do this or move and would eventually give way

Lazy journalists nick stories from boards.ie all the time, and no credit is ever given. If they quote us though....

With the danger of wandering off topic didn't that happen to someone in AH fairly recently (giveusagoofyourgee or something like that) about some guy films young ones on the LUAS?

Anyway, TBH it would worry me and hopefully it'll be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ziedth wrote: »
    With the danger of wandering off topic didn't that happen to someone in AH fairly recently (giveusagoofyourgee or something like that) about some guy films young ones on the LUAS?

Anyway, TBH it would worry me and hopefully it'll be sorted.
    Happens every two months or so in AH, thats the best example of it though.

The floor in the forum venue is well supported though, because it was planned for gigs and people jumping from the beginning. The problem is the floor in Masons was just a hasty addition it seems.

Advertisement