Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice needed??

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Myself and girlfriend looking to get our second year visa and of course have left it till last minute, we have 116 days left on visa.

Do people think this is enough time to find a job and get the 88 days done??

Would anyone be able to give me info on where to find jobs, i have been looking on gumtree with not much success.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

me1724 wrote: »
    we have 116 days left on visa. Do people think this is enough time to find a job and get the 88 days done??
    This people thinks it's possible, but not likely. There's a number of conditions attached to 'specified work' relating to how you simply count your 88 days, never mind other conditions on where and what you can work at! I'd say you'll be lucky to do it all in time.
    Would anyone be able to give me info on where to find jobs, i have been looking on gumtree with not much success.
    Gumtree? is that the only place you've looked?

I don't mean to be a bad bastard, but you give the impression you're just looking for someone to hand sh!t to you on a magic plate, to say "here's all the information you need, oh and here's a job too, and sure give me a call in 3 months, i'll do the visa application for you too!" :rolleyes: Here's a tip, start by searching this forum! Keywords you're looking for are whv, specified work, seasonal work, harvest trail. I have no problem helping anyone as much as i can, if only they show a willingness to help themselves first. If you can't do that, just enjoy the rest of your time and get ready to pack up and go home, or somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

I don't mean to be a bad bastard, but you give the impression you're just looking for someone to hand sh!t to you on a magic plate, to say "here's all the information you need, oh and here's a job too, and sure give me a call in 3 months, i'll do the visa application for you too!" :rolleyes: Here's a tip, start by searching this forum! Keywords you're looking for are whv, specified work, seasonal work, harvest trail. I have no problem helping anyone as much as i can, if only they show a willingness to help themselves first. If you can't do that, just enjoy the rest of your time and get ready to pack up and go home, or somewhere else.

He makes an excellent point...

You are gonna find it tough to get the work done in such a short period, you'll need to get online check out harvest trail, check the government help website (which i would have checked before making this post) and then ring every last one of those suckers until something sticks... Thats pretty much your best bet, because i'm pretty sure alot of the seasonal work in queensland will be f*cked due to the floods and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭me1724

Thanks for the replies, sorry if i made it sound like i just looked up gumtree but i have been on loads of websites and rang numbers off that harvest trail. I gave 70 dollars to join an agency in sydney aswell which looks like it was a total waste of money.
    Running out of time now so looks like i wont be staying here for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Running out of time now so looks like i wont be staying here for another year.

You still have plenty of time mate but one thing is for sure you need to get on the move and get out of the city and into the wilderness. :)

I have mates in Griffith at the minute (about 10 hours outside Sydney), basically they just signed up with Skilled, staying in a hostel and skilled call them everyday with work in different places dotted around Griffith.

Olives farms, wineries, rat poison factories, picking cherrys, chicken farms. Basically they just get a call and go. They just jumped on a train and headed to Griffith and that was them sorted. Ya need to just pick a spot and go for it, ya won't get anything sitting around Syd though. If you don't get anything in the next 2-3 weeks just make the most of of your last couple of months in Oz but at least you can say you tried :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

It is only 88 days of actual work you have to if you do it with various employers. But if you stick with the same employer it just has to be 3 calender months, which works out a little shorter, esp with Feb being one of your months!
    The immigration dept are really helpful, if you call them, tell them where you are doing the work and what work it is they will tell you straight away if that will qualify, the nu is: 131881
    You can also call harvest trail on: 1800 062 332

• Advertisement
Advertisement