Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chopping Techniques

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:19am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any pointers for effective chopping of veg, as in speed, precision, etc? I know there are clips on youtube, but I don't know how reliable they are. Probably just practice makes perfect..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Good, sharp knives.
    I always espoused that the only knives you need are a small veg knife and a chef's knife until someone recently gave me a Kyotsu which I use for mostly everything. ( I like Analon knifes - easy to find not terribly expensive, sharp and very sturdy. Victorinox are also a good no nonsense cheapish knife)
    And, yes, practise does make perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I contend that a sharp knife is a given.
    Secondly if you want to chop fast I think a wide bladed knife is the only way, a large chefs knife, a Japanese Deba style or a fine bladed chinese chopper all work well for the technique of running the side of the blade along the backs of your fingers.
    This allows your fingers to hold the food and the tips to be out of the way of the edge.
    Apart from that, practice, practice, and practice some more.
    Speed comes with familiarity with the process, and the knife involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All fixed now, thanks.

Here's a good guide for chopping an onion finely

Advertisement