Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC free web space

• 05-01-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

How do I use it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

How do I access and upload to my webspace?

* Open Internet Explorer
    * Type ftp://upload.upc.ie into the address bar
    * Enter your UPC username and password (if you are unsure as to what these are, please call our technical support team on freephone 1908).

From here, you will be able to upload onto your webspace. You can view your webspace by entering the following url: http://members.upc.ie/username

The username is the same username you used to log on to the FTP site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciaran_2

I just used the UPC web space for the first time on Tuesday.

To upload your web pages you'll need to use an ftp client. I installed and used FireFTP for Firefox. There are many alternatives. (You can also use Windows Explorer.)

Connection details (to set up connection in FTP client):
    Host: ftp://upload.upc.ie
    User name: firstname.lastname (same as initial part of UPC mail address)
    Password: password provided by UPC

Once uploaded, your web page will be found at

http://members.upc.ie/firstname.lastname

I had not been provided with any username/password at installation and I had not used UPC web mail so I contacted UPC Tech. support to get that set up and a username and password.

I think UPC have an error in their instructions. They refer to Internet Explorer rather than Windows Explorer.

This from Windows help.

"If you want to UPLOAD files, DELETE files, or REARRANGE the folder structure on an FTP site, you need to open the site in Windows Explorer rather than in Internet Explorer. For security reasons, you can only use Internet Explorer to open FTP sites and download files from them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However cheap hosting (under €5 a month?) and your own €8 a year domain name is better unless it's very casual use.
    Then you have unlimited email addresses at your own domain too.

Filezilla client recommended for Windows FTP. There is a linux style FTP console on Windows too that you can use with automated scripts (say upload a new still image to same file once per second or minute, or do automated backups)

Advertisement