Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O woe is Hamlet!!

• 05-01-2011 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I pleaded and begged my teacher to do Wuthering Heights instead but no I'm stuck with Hamlet.
    I hate it, it's the one thing that's going to cost me on the day of the exam.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'd be pretty glad that your teacher picked Hamlet. Considering its a play and Wuthering Heights is a novel, therefore totally useless for the drama questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I feel your pain AtomicMess.. I HATE HATE HATE hamlet sooo much. We are somewhere around act 3 and I have no idea what is happening in it at all. I am soo lost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

It's a single text question though, isn't it?

It's a single text question though, isn't it?

Wow, right you are there. I was sure we had to do a drama of some kind :S Why am I doing a play a novel and a film then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

I'd be pretty glad that your teacher picked Hamlet. Considering its a play and Wuthering Heights is a novel, therefore totally useless for the drama questions.

I love this comment. It shows that though you're completely ignorant to the HL paper, you're still willing to spew your untruths and mislead people, all with your "biting" sarcasm and passive-aggressive behaviour, of course.

Anyways, Hamlet is probably my weakest point also. I find it helpful to write out all the possible questions that could be asked and work slowly through them, writing out templates and points.

Which I later apologized for, but gaeilgegrinds is actually saying I'm right. One of the texts you do for HL has to be a Shakespearean drama.

Which I later apologized for, but gaeilgegrinds is actually saying I'm right. One of the texts you do for HL has to be a Shakespearean drama.

Yes, everyone is well aware. Oh by the way, could you refer me to one of these pesky "drama questions" you're telling everyone about, I've never heard of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Actually found some brilliant notes on Hamlet offering a scene by scene breakdown and notes on each, character analysis, overall plot analysis and a brief background on Shakespeare and his work as a whole.
    Forty odd pages on Word,
    PM email address and I'll send it on,
    And tell me what Word format (07 hopefully (: ) you have before I do send it.
    Doctored it myself to make it look pretty but that's about it,
    From what I can see it's everything you need to know about it...

aranciata wrote: »
    Yes, everyone is well aware. Oh by the way, could you refer me to one of these pesky "drama questions" you're telling everyone about, I've never heard of them.

Taken from the instructions of HL Paper 2 2010
    N.B. Candidates must answer on Shakespearean Drama.
    They may do so in SECTION I, the Single Text (King Lear) or in SECTION II, The
    Comparative Study (King Lear, The Tempest)

There. Drama question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

AtomicMess wrote: »
    I pleaded and begged my teacher to do Wuthering Heights instead but no I'm stuck with Hamlet.
    I hate it, it's the one thing that's going to cost me on the day of the exam.

Don't fret. Just check out easy to digest material about Hamlet first.

For example:

http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/hamlet/index.html

http://www.bookrags.com/essay-2005/8/11/74855/8361

Taken from the instructions of HL Paper 2 2010

There. Drama question.

And where exactly is Wuthering Heights useless? It could be used in an answer to either question. You said above you were wrong, and uninformed - gaeilgegrinds was not saying you were right, because you were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AtomicMess

Crayolastereo
    You must be a confused Junior Cert student,
    this is LEAVING CERT HIGHER LEVEL ENGLISH I'm talking about, discussing, threading.
    To conclude you have no idea what you're talking about

From my original reading of the question, the OP was saying they wanted to do Wuthering Heights, not Hamlet so no Shakespearean drama (I'm assuming, because otherwise you would have asked to swap hamlet for some other play). Had you not studied a Shakespearean drama, would I not be right in saying you could not follow the instructions set out in the paper I quoted? Chill the **** out lads, I did apologize for being a bit sarcastic in the first post.

From my original reading of the question, the OP was saying they wanted to do Wuthering Heights, not Hamlet so no Shakespearean drama (I'm assuming). Had you not studied a Shakespearean drama, would I not be right in saying you could not follow the instructions set out in the paper I quoted? Chill the **** out lads, I did apologize for being a bit sarcastic in the first post.

The OP has clearly studied a Shakespearean Drama, in that they're "stuck" with Hamlet mid-way through their final year. You were also wrong to jump to a conclusion that they hadn't.

"a bit sarcastic", that would be understating it. You acted condescendingly and nastily safely behind your computer screen, can I ask why? Why treat someone like they don't know what they're talking about? It's wrong of you to make that assumption, and in the end, it shows what you really are like. Undermining the OP, fully sure you know what your talking about - well sweetheart, you don't. There's a 5th years thread on this forum, I think you might fit in better there.

The OP has clearly studied a Shakespearean Drama, in that they're "stuck" with Hamlet mid-way through their final year. You were also wrong to jump to a conclusion that they hadn't.

"a bit sarcastic", that would be understating it. You acted condescendingly and nastily safely behind your computer screen, can I ask why? Why treat someone like they don't know what they're talking about? It's wrong of you to make that assumption, and in the end, it shows what you really are like. Undermining the OP, fully sure you know what your talking about - well sweetheart, you don't. There's a 5th years thread on this forum, I think you might fit in better there.

So why on earth is he asking why his teacher didn't pick Wuthering Heights then?! You have to study a Shakespearean play, theres no swapping it for Wuthering Heights and expecting it to work out. Its none of your business why I was being sarcastic, but if you're that interested its because I'm going into surgery Monday because I'm in a ****load of pain. You're the one taking a major issue with this, not me. I was fairly calm after my first post.

So why on earth is he asking why his teacher didn't pick Wuthering Heights then?! You have to study a Shakespearean play, theres no swapping it for Wuthering Heights and expecting it to work out. Its none of your business why I was being sarcastic, but if you're that interested its because I'm going into surgery Monday because I'm in a ****load of pain. You're the one taking a major issue with this, not me. I was fairly calm after my first post.

Again, this is wrong. You need to know what you're talking about if you're going to give advice to people on their Leaving Cert. Wuthering Heights can be studied as a Single Text on the Paper, if a Shakespearean drama is studied in comparative. Thus, Wuthering Heights and Hamlet *can* be swapped.

Again, this is wrong. You need to know what you're talking about if you're going to give advice to people on their Leaving Cert. Wuthering Heights can be studied as a Single Text on the Paper, if a Shakespearean drama is studied in comparative. Thus, Wuthering Heights and Hamlet *can* be swapped.

But you still need to do Hamlet at some stage? As I've already said, in the beginning, I was assuming he meant he didn't want to study any play at all. Forgive me in your almighty wisdom for misreading his question.

But you still need to do Hamlet at some stage? As I've already said, in the beginning, I was assuming he meant he didn't want to study any play at all. Forgive me in your almighty wisdom for misreading his question.

No1curr.
    You should be apologising to the OP, not for misreading the question, but for the way to tried to belittle and mock them, thinking you, seemingly all-knowing, were oh so clever to catch them out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement