Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't get tenants out

Options
  • 05-01-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I`ve rented a room to a couple in a house for the last 10 months, their lease ended 3 months ago and I never renewed it as 2 months ago I gave them 2 months notice for eviction as they now have a baby but are only renting one room in the house. I didnt know she was pregnant when she moved in and she lied about her due date. I gave them a letter which they are now saying that they never received even though I had various conversations with them about them leaving and gave them a reference so they knew full well that they had to move out. They are now refusing to move saying it is their home, i have no rights etc and also they are refusing to pay any rent. How do I get them to move out..if I have already given them 2 months written notice what do i have to do...is the law alwasy going to be on their side? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you the owner of the property? Or are you sub-letting. There's a big difference legally in this situation.

If you are the owner and living in the property they basically have no right to stay, they are licencees rather than tenants, sub-letting (or absent landlord) it's more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kranky

Im the owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alanacadia

Hi ,
    I would wait until they all go out some day and just change the front door locks on your home, and let them try to take you to court, if they break the locks phone the Gardai and have them arrested .

Let them take the legal route you will only have to defend your case and your case looks better to me than thier case , paying no rent , they dont really have any rights at all,

Deleted - was under the impression OP was owner occupier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

When you say they are renting a room do you live in the property as well?

• Advertisement

They`ve a new born baby so theres always someone at home. Other person in house moved out cos of baby so now they have whole house to themselves and they were only paying for one room-it just feels like the law is on their side, nobody would allow a "new family" to be kicked out with no where to go even though its because they dont want to find anywhere else to go. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'd seriously consider talking to a solicitor before taking the advice above.

Maybe post your question on the legal forum.

Removing unwanted tenants/lodgers can be a very lengthy and expensive process. Simply locking them out is not really an option.

ok thanks for that.

ztoical wrote: »
    When you say they are renting a room do you live in the property as well?

+1, your comment about them having the house to themselves suggests you don't live there? That makes things a whole lot more complicated. What did their lease say? Rent of one room only but use of common areas? Or were they jointly on the lease with the tenant who moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Just kick them out, its your house. You sound like a soft touch and they probably recognise this and are seeing how long they can they get away with what they are doing. I would just call the gaurds and demand they are arrested on the spot. Problem solved

• Advertisement

No I dont live in it, just rented the 2 rooms seperately as renting them together was harder..

athtrasna wrote: »
    +1, your comment about them having the house to themselves suggests you don't live there? That makes things a whole lot more complicated. What did their lease say? Rent of one room only but use of common areas? Or were they jointly on the lease with the tenant who moved out.

yeah it says rent of one room...but the lease in now actually up as I wrote them an eviction letter instead of renewing the lease...thought I was being generous giving them 2 months!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Just kick them out, its your house. You sound like a soft touch and they probably recognise this and are seeing how long they can they get away with what they are doing. I would just call the gaurds and demand they are arrested on the spot. Problem solved
    It's not a criminal matter, it's a civil matter.

OP, you need to seek legal advice. Do not listen to anyone telling you to change locks, you need to follow the letter of the law to ensure nothing comes back to bite you in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

your situation is a bad one, as you cannot just put them out, the law is on their side now that they have a baby, if they had no baby, you could go change lock, they can hold you up for the next yr or two yrs, if they are not paying you will have a stronger case,

If the lease has finished then they are covered by a 4 part tenancy. In order to legally evict them you must give written notice to leave after that notice period passes and they haven't left you need to contact the PRTB (whom the tenancy should be registered with) and follow their procedure.

maybe they are receiving rent allowance, so that should be going to you, but you cannot just change lock when there is an infant involved, that would be breaking the law

goat2 wrote: »
    your situation is a bad one, as you cannot just put them out, the law is on their side now that they have a baby, if they had no baby, you could go change lock, they can hold you up for the next yr or two yrs, if they are not paying you will have a stronger case,

The fact that they have a baby makes no difference the op cannot enter the property nor change locks, turn of utilities…if they want them out they must follow the correct procedure otherwise they won't get the property back and may end up paying the tenants for an illegal eviction.

Trhiggy83 wrote: »

Do this and you're looking at a fine of about 10k!

Sorry OP but as a non-resident landlord you are facing a difficult process. The issue of whether they actually received the notice of non-renewal. Talk to Threshold about where to go from here.

Do you have a friend or family member who could move into the other room and make things less comfortable in the house? You could also lock the second room, they are not entitled to access it.

Just be careful..the tenants have a lot more rights than landlords under current legislation. Any slips ups on your part will be costly. Not fair, not right, welcome to PRTB land!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you don't live in the house, then they're tenants rather than licensees, so they'll have more rights.

Contact a solicitor and threshold and see what they have to say. Whatever you do, make sure you adhere strictly to the law, otherwise you may never get rid of them. Changing the locks, or removing power/heat, etc. is not the way to go.

Do you have any proof of them receiving the letter (registered letter)?

You say they're in the property 10 months and that the lease expired 3 months ago (so they had a 7 month lease)? Or is it longer than 10 months? If they're living in the house for a year or more, regardless of whether or not there's a lease in place, then they may be covered by a Part 4 tenancy (see prtb.ie), wherein there's a clause that you can end their tenancy if you need the use of the house for yourself or a family member, of if you want to renovate the house.

However, you really need to contact threshold as a starting point, and then seek expert legal advice on this. If you don't adhere to the law, then you're leaving open to a lot of trouble.

goat2 wrote: »
    but you cannot just change lock when there is an infant involved, that would be breaking the law

The op cannot change the locks period the fact they have a baby makes no difference to law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

If living in the house would put him in a stronger position could he not just move into the free in room in the house?

wingnut wrote: »
    If living in the house would put him in a stronger position could he not just move into the free in room in the house?

No as they already had a lease with the op that has most likely now become a 4 part tenancy it cannot now be changed to a rent room situation.

watch out, if you move in you would have to watch your step, as they will be waiting for the chance to pounce, but if the other room could acommodate two people, then get two friends to share that room, which means it will bet a bit overcrowded and they may just leave quietly,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Id pop over and give them this letter. A solicitor might have a better idea but this would be my first step :D You shouldn't have let it go two months and just left them there baby or not.
    Dear Mr and Mrs X,

Your lease in my property has ended and has not been renewed. I have served you your notice and allowed you the appropriate two months to secure alternative accommodation.

As a result of still residing in my property despite clear instructions to vacate, you have breached the terms of our signed lease agreement in the following areas:
    • You have not vacated my premises by the date previously agreed.
    • You were deceitful in your application by not informing me of the due date of your newborn child.
    • You have not paid your rent for the last two months and continue to do same.

I have spoken to my solicitor and he as told me to inform you that you now have five working days to vacate my property. If you do so in the extra time now very generously allocated to you i will pursue no further action against you through the courts. And i will waive the remaining balance for the last two months rent provided you are moved out by next Monday the 10th of January by 11pm.

Should you choose to stay i will pursue this matter through the courts and i will collect all backdated funds owed to me and weekly rent of €3400 (Maintenance and gas fees) for the remaining duration of your stay. Furthermore there are eight college students moving in to share the other two rooms from next Tuesday the 11th of January. Please have the spare rooms vacated and hoovered by then.

I will be over to visit with two members of the Gardai and a locksmith on Tuesday morning to see to our new tenants in. My bank account hopes to see you then.

Best Regards and happy new year,

A very Kranky landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Just wondering are they irish or foriegn .Why dont you try to be as annoying as you can be turn up unexpected play loud music at inconvenient times invite friends for loud partys make a hinderance of yourself maybe even take electric appliances that belong to you out of house who can live without washing machine cooker etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

It's not a criminal matter, it's a civil matter.

OP, you need to seek legal advice. Do not listen to anyone telling you to change locks, you need to follow the letter of the law to ensure nothing comes back to bite you in the ass.

Sorry the last post probably wasnt helpful, but thats what i would do.
    Changing the locks in front of them would be a good idea. That way they cant leave the house. If they change the locks themselves then im sure you could call the gaurds to sort it out. Probably best to get legal advice though but it sounds pretty straight forward to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

I'd get a friend to move in.

Failing that, the PRTB process will take you at about 12 months.

First hearing, they'll probably appeal, second hearing, they'll appeal again. Only then can you go to court for an enforced eviction. And no judge will evict a family with a new-born baby.

Nothing much you can do.

You need to be "innovative" if you know what I mean. Their problems are not yours and there's a social welfare system that you're paying for to look after these parasites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Id pop over and give them this letter. A solicitor might have a better idea but this would be my first step :D You shouldn't have let it go two months and just left them there baby or not.

Do NOT send that letter. Possibly open to a discrimination case there. Also, it's not very well worded.

snickers wrote: »
    maybe even take electric appliances that belong to you out of house who can live without washing machine cooker etc .

Don't do this - tenants are entitled to some appliances. Cooking appliances being one of them. Any mistake like this at this time will be VERY costly. Talk to Threshold and/or a solicitor and do everything to the letter of the law.

• Advertisement

snickers wrote: »
    Just wondering are they irish or foriegn .Why dont you try to be as annoying as you can be turn up unexpected play loud music at inconvenient times invite friends for loud partys make a hinderance of yourself maybe even take electric appliances that belong to you out of house who can live without washing machine cooker etc .

The op cannot legally enter the property under current laws. Seriously don't listen to anything about changing locks, making threats your just making huge costly mistake for yourself. Contact the PRTB first thing tomorrow and start the correct eviction process.

Advertisement