Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we being unrealistic ?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

We dont want to spend more than 1,200 per month and we are looking to rent somewhere nice (preferably a house), with 3 double bedrooms in either City Center, or town sides of D6, D4 or D8

Problem is we want to be as close to the city as possible so Crumlin and Rialto are too far. Town side of Rathmines, Ringsend or Harolds Cross might be doable.

Ideally we would love somewhere close to Camden Street area. Just wondering if we are asking for too much ?

We may need to increase the amount we are willing to spend / take somewhere further outside the city

Map:
    28vvm8h.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have you had a look at Daft? My feeling is that you have little or no chance. 1 beds in the area are still going for 650-800, and a house with 3 double rooms in your search area will be in prime rental area for students and professionals alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

A nice 2 bed apartment for about 900 - 1100 should be easily possible. To move up to a 3 bed (especially if you want a house) may be just about possible but it won't be the nicest one possible.

A quick glance at daft shows a few in your price range but most are on the northside which you don't want.

A better suggestion would be to up your price a small bit if possible as even an extra 100 a month could see a decent jump in quality. Also remember what you see on daft may be negotiable so look a bit above your price range and try to negotiate down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, I think you are being unrealistic. You would get a very nice 2 bed appartment for that price in that area, and you may get a small 2 bed house or 3 bed appartment (though even for a 3 bed apartment you may need to add in another couple of hundred), but you are not going to get a 3 bed house for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Why do you want to be so close to town? For 3 bed houses I'd be looking at areas with a quality transport link, such as anywhere on the Green Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Why not get on the Green Luas line?
    You will find it hard to get 3 doubles. 2 doubles and a single would be better. Just adjust the rents.

http://www.daft.ie/2945820

You'll want to bump up another 200 or so for 3 doubles.

http://www.daft.ie/2989264

I know the 11 goes by that place a lot, and it's not too far a walk from Ranelagh.

Could try get something off.

Camden Street is a premium area, you won't get something so easily unless you really want squalor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Currently renting 3bed house in ballsbridge for e1000/month. Landlord gave us 2 rent reductions in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The place we are in at the moment is 1460 (down from 1600) for a 4 bed (3 double, 1 single) and is just off Camden Street. But I get what yea are saying. We either need to pay more or go further afield.
    Giblet wrote: »
    Why not get on the Green Luas line?
    You will find it hard to get 3 doubles. 2 doubles and a single would be better. Just adjust the rents.

http://www.daft.ie/2945820

You'll want to bump up another 200 or so for 3 doubles.

This might be the area we have to settle for. Near enough to town and plenty of houses.

That one is lovely but its too far outside town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Tusky wrote: »
    The place we are in at the moment is 1460 (down from 1600) for a 4 bed (3 double, 1 single) and is just off Camden Street. But I get what yea are saying. We either need to pay more or go further afield.

This might be the area we have to settle for. Near enough to town and plenty of houses.

That one is lovely but its too far outside town.

I know you said southside, but would you consider northside? There's quite good value in Smithfield, Mountjoy Sq, Dorset st, and all are walkin distance to town

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dearg lady wrote: »
    I know you said southside, but would you consider northside? There's quite good value in Smithfield, Mountjoy Sq, Dorset st, and all are walkin distance to town

Yeah, we may have to. Problem is Mountjoy Square and Smithfield are all apartments which my flatmates arent keen on. But we may have to just settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

OP send me a pm I know of a nice 3bed house on Corrib Road available for 1200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

3-bed houses aren't very common in that are. simply because most of the building stock isn't houses and those that are houses are likely to be older terraced houses, often with only 2 bedrooms.

Dublin 2.
    Sorry, but your search for 3 bed properties to let for less than €1,200 per month in Dublin 2 yielded no results.

Dublin 4.
    Pembroke Cottages, Donnybrook, Dublin 4
    Too far out

Dublin 6.
    Found 7 properties. Displaying all matches below
    3 places in Harold's Cross (more D6W).

Dublin 6W.
    Found 9 properties. Displaying all matches below
    2 places in Harold's Cross.

Dublin 8.
    Found 7 properties. Displaying all matches below
    Some off Cork Street, but thats as close as you'll get

Going to €1,300 per month doesn't give a huge increase, but gives one place in Clarence Place Great, Dublin 2

€1,400 per month gives some places in Ringsend.

Conclusion: While you may be able to haggle some reduction, the expectations are overly optimistic.

Advertisement