Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This gentleman's agreement of returning the ball

• 05-01-2011 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

I was watching the Football League show last night and this incident happened in the Ipswich - Forest game (its at 2.45 minute mark on the video). It seemed to particularly incense Keane.

The question is, if McGoldrick had actually hit the net and not the bar, would the goal have stood? Going on precedents in the past then surely it would have, despite Keane's rantings??

That reminded me of an incident from the 1998 FA Cup game involving Arsenal and Sheffield United (cant locate youtube clip) where Arsenal threw the ball back to United but before it had reached Alan Kelly, Kanu took possession of it and passed it to Marc Overmars to score. The goal stood despite Sheffield United manager Steve Bruce calling his team off the field and Arsenal won the tie 2-1. If it was not for the sportmanship of Arsene Wenger who offered United a replay, the result would have stood.

So, what is the official position on this gentleman's agreement? Is it merely down to goodwill of the managers, and why wont FIFA implement an actual proper ruling on this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I've seen it happen two or three times before, the other team usually just conceeds a goal too to even it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Keane's rantings? Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i find it so ironic..
    in press conference's he is often asked about a hot topic involving English football..
    e.g after England's World Cup Flop..He Says "Get Over It"..
    but he never takes his own advice..
    he ended Haaland's career 3 whole years after they had a row in 1998..
    he is a hypocrite

He's a fcuking legend, stop with your shìte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

MD1990 wrote: »
    i find it so ironic..
    in press conference's he is often asked about a hot topic involving English football..
    he is a hypocrite

What the fcuk does this have to do with the question asked? Seriously. Anything to get a pop at one of the country's greatest players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

i find it so ironic..
    he is a hypocrite

I'm most certainly not a Keane apologist but that statement is incorrect.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can you legally score from a drop ball? ie would it have counted if it had went in.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

eagle eye wrote: »
    Keane's rantings? Where?
    At 3.12. Not so much ranting as complaining. Its not as if it was intentional!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

THFC wrote: »
    He's a fcuking legend, stop with your shìte.

Yeah, a legend of a player but tbh as a person he comes across as an asshole.

I dont mind him tho, he's entertaining to say the least! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i find it so ironic..
    he is a hypocrite

this is a serious question

Do you have a brain?

this is another serious question,

Do you always tell lies or is it just on the internet

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Yeah, a legend of a player but tbh as a person he comes across as an asshole.

I dont mind him tho, he's entertaining to say the least! :P

do you know him as a person though?

You will find plenty of people who do know him, played with him for years (Giggs, Solskjaer, Scholes, Becks etc)... who will tell you he is quite the opposite of an asshole

His charity work also points to him not being an asshole

Lads, if you want to argue about the merits of Keane as a person/player, can you please create a new thread and stop derailing this one?

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Of course it would stand.
    Also: lolstevebruce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think it's an excellent question and don't want this thread sidetracked on a debate of Roy Keane

Yes, the goal would have stood

THFC reckons Forest would concede a goal to even it out. I can't think I've ever seen it happen so I'll take their word for it

The goal would have stood, i remember an incident before alright where a team allowed a goal to be scored to even something out, cant quite remember the game though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

grenache wrote: »
    At 3.12. Not so much ranting as complaining. Its not as if it was intentional!!!
    I don't see any ranting, I see two coaches talking at a football game. You know there is noise all around them so they use their hands but it doesn't look like ranting to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

grenache wrote: »
    Lads, if you want to argue about the merits of Keane as a person/player, can you please create a new thread and stop derailing this one?

Thank you.

It's partly your fault because you mentioned keane ranting twice in the OP.

You should know what it's like here and that sort of thing will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

kryogen wrote: »
    this is a serious question

Do you have a brain?

this is another serious question,

Do you always tell lies or is it just on the internet

in answer to your original question - no
    i think we should sell Torres..
    all he does know is give out to referees & linesman..
    i think his World Cup flop has destroyed him tbh..
    i would take 30 mill for him ..
    i would sign Llorente For Bilbao
    & Griezman the younster from Socieded..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Id hate to see his celebration if he scored from the half way line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Personally I think the players should leave it up to the Ref to determine if the game should be stopped or the ball put out of play. all too often the team in possession are pressurised into putting the ball out etc just because one of the opposition is slow to get up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I don't really think there is much to discuss, the other team returns the ball 99% of the time without complaints. If it had of gone in i would have expected Forrest to allow Ipswich to score one from kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This happened around Easter 2009 in the Blue Square South (there's a video on Youtube somewhere) in a game between Bromley & AFC Wimbledon. Bromley's Ryan Hall (who now plays for Southend) tried to knock the ball back from around the halfway line to give possession to the Wimbledon keeper, but the keeper wasn't concentrating and palmed the ball went into the net. This was in stoppage time, I think, and made the scores level.

Wimbledon went nuts but because of how aggressive and over the top their protests were, Bromley decided not to allow Wimbledon to score and held out for the draw.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/sport/sporttopstories/4288827.Equaliser_provokes_fury_from_AFC_Wimbledon/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This happened around Easter 2009 in the Blue Square South (there's a video on Youtube somewhere) in a game between Bromley & AFC Wimbledon. Bromley's Ryan Hall (who now plays for Southend) tried to knock the ball back from around the halfway line to give possession to the Wimbledon keeper, but the keeper wasn't concentrating and palmed the ball went into the net. This was in stoppage time, I think, and made the scores level.

Wimbledon went nuts but because of how aggressive and over the top their protests were, Bromley decided not to allow Wimbledon to score and held out for the draw.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/sport/sporttopstories/4288827.Equaliser_provokes_fury_from_AFC_Wimbledon/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCRMr-trPko#t=07m30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Good topic OP.

It's another one of those things that FIFA seem content to just let be, rather than putting a rule in place to cut out this sort of thing.

If a player is lying motionless on the ground for more than a few seconds then the referee should have the power to stop the game... BUT the "injured" player would then be automatically substituted.

This would cut out a lot of diving and time-wasting, and while it may seem a bit extreme I think it could be effective. If a player is legitimately hurt enough not to move at all after a couple of seconds then he should not be staying on the field in any case.

Ya, one of the one's I was on about was posted above by Chucky the Tree, it also happened about 2 years ago in the FA Cup, rememeber seeing the highlights on UTV, can't be arsed finding a link, I'm sure its on Youtube though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Good topic OP.

It's another one of those things that FIFA seem content to just let be, rather than putting a rule in place to cut out this sort of thing.

If a player is lying motionless on the ground for more than a few seconds then the referee should have the power to stop the game... BUT the "injured" player would then be automatically substituted.

This would cut out a lot of diving and time-wasting, and while it may seem a bit extreme I think it could be effective. If a player is legitimately hurt enough not to move at all after a couple of seconds then he should not be staying on the field in any case.

Do you mean literally not moving? Like if someone takes a konck there are times where you can have an initial pain and then it eases as the physio works on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Play the whistle, always. Its a mans game and there are far too many diving/acting little bitches nowadays that no one can be sure if someone is actually injured or not.

FFS, Barca V Espanyol a few weeks ago, an Espanyol fella pole axed himself running into Puyol and stayed down looking for a foul. There was no foul. Barca played away and scored. Espanyol protested, but from the replays it was obvious the Espanyol player was looking for a free despite him not being fouled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gimmick wrote: »
    Play the whistle, always. Its a mans game and there are far too many diving/acting little bitches nowadays that no one can be sure if someone is actually injured or not.

This. Loads of players go down delaying the game at very fortuitous times for their team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Personally I think the players should leave it up to the Ref to determine if the game should be stopped or the ball put out of play. all too often the team in possession are pressurised into putting the ball out etc just because one of the opposition is slow to get up etc.

I agree with this. I used to like the sportsmanship angle of putting the ball out for an injured player, but far too often these days players pretend to be hurt so the opposition will put the ball out, putting an end to their attacking momentum. Then it turns out there was nothing wrong with the 'injured' player.
    Similarly, you always see coaches screaming for the opposition to put the ball out when they have a man 'injured', then suddenly his team win the ball back, the 'injured' player has made a miraculous recovery and they don't want play stopped anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

players generally know when an injury is serious and will kick it out if so, but it shouldn't be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The referee should only stop the game in the case of what looks like a serious injury/head injury (as it currently is) otherwise you'll have players going down when they are under serious pressure so the game is stopped. I've seen players try this countless times and thankfully, the referee has rarely fallen for it.

Unless its a serious injury, the player should be made wait until the phase of play is over/ball out of play. There shouldnt be pressure on the opposition team to give up the attack because someone tweaked their ankle or needs their nose wiped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

When it happened in the FA cup the keeper got the ball, ran/jogged the pitch and scored.

The ball should only be kicked out if the ref blows, simple as that unless it is a blatant serious injury.

TheProdigy wrote: »
    When it happened in the FA cup the keeper got the ball, ran/jogged the pitch and scored.

The ball should only be kicked out if the ref blows, simple as that unless it is a blatant serious injury.
    It was in the League Cup game in 2007 between Forest and Leicester that it happened.

In the original game, Forest were leading 1-0 when Leicester's Irish defender Clive Clark had a heart attack during the half time break.

The match was called off, and this was the rematch, the Leicester players agreed to allow Forest to have the goal they had from the first game (the Forest keeper Paul Smith scored it so it wouldn't make any of the pre match bets unfair).

Leicester eventually won the game 3-2.

Advertisement