Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelor Of Agricultural Science (Agri-Environmental Sciences)

Options
  • 05-01-2011 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    So I've a keen interest in sustainable farming and the environment farmers work in. This led me to this course (Bachelor Of Agricultural Science in Agri-Environmental Sciences DN250AES).

Could anyone who is doing or has done the course share some info as to what subjects I would be doing?

For the leaving cert, the only science subject I'm doing is Ag. Science. (also I'm doing pass maths) With enough effort and work, would I be able to do this course with a limited previous knowlege of Biology and Chemistry?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    spanner13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I did a BAgSc, graduating last year. However it was in Animal Science, so I can only give you info on what 1st year is like (1st year Ags share a lot of modules). It was 4 1/2 years ago at this stage so things might have changed, so take from it what you will.

You are not expected to have prior knowledge in chemistry and there is an option for those who have never taken it before. Both option are very basic.

You do 2 biology modules in first year and they are also quite easy with a small amount of work, and again no prior knowledge is expected, but it does help. You don't really do anything beyond the leaving cert level.

The maths module is a joke, a trained monkey could pass it, so even with a small amount of cop on you should be fine.

1st year is basically there to get everyone up to a similar standard and I didn't find anyone who was unduly hampered in later years by not having done a particular subject for the leaving.

The only thing I would say is make sure that Ag Science for the leaving counts as a laboratory science subject as you have to have done one for matriculation. It is a science course, so if you have only done AgSc and pass maths, make sure its the kind of course you want to get into.

Can't give you any info on the particular course I'm afraid, but in general Ag is good craic with some very unusual (and therefore fun) people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

thanks for the info, after looking around on google i found out that AgSc is counted as a Lab subject so I'm covered at that end.
    Thanks again,
    13spanner

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Would anyone have some information on the Animal & Crop Production part of this course?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 forty_coats

I know a lot of people doing this without having done other Science subjects for the Leaving Cert...you can find out the modules you'll be doing on the UCD website but as regards pure science, 1st year is probably the most intense and 2nd year has a fair amount of botany and chemistry etc. too although its more applied to things relevant to your course. The environmental aspect of it only really starts in 3rd year (in my opinion)...I was pretty annoyed that the first two years seemed so irrelevant, especially having done biology and chemistry for my leaving cert.Send me a PM if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Digits wrote: »
    Would anyone have some information on the Animal & Crop Production part of this course?

Thanks

I did Animal Science, so did the same modules as the ACP students for the animal part.

What would you like to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The environmental aspect of it only really starts in 3rd year (in my opinion)...I was pretty annoyed that the first two years seemed so irrelevant,

I also have a BAgrSc (Env) and i loved it.It was 10 years ago though.:o I agree with forty coats. The "environmental" aspect of it doesnt really start until 3rd year. 3rd year is also the work placement year (i worked on a dairy farm and pig farm in Germany).That was my fav year and i learned lots.

I dont agree though with the first 2 years being irrelevant though. If you've never done Biology or Chemistry then it will stand to you later on down the line. Tbh i actually found Chemistry very tough and i actually had done it for my Leaving. Struggling to remember all the subjects now but its a very broad course and its better to choose your speciality i..e. Environmental.Agribusiness,Animal Science etc after 2 years of general agricultural knowledge.

All of my year are now in really diverse jobs now (alot are teachers believe it or not). A lot of what ive learned is standing to me now in my current job incl the elective Parasitology i picked in 4th year.
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Can't give you any info on the particular course I'm afraid, but in general Ag is good craic with some very unusual (and therefore fun) people.
    Best 4 years of my life tbh :D This degree is not so specific that you're pigeon holed into one area which is good too.

Advertisement