Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big fish shooting

Options
  • 05-01-2011 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi
    do i need a licence or is there a seasonal restriction for shooting big fish (dolphin,basking sharks). i have the gun licence and gun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

You well in the head?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

randomnoob wrote: »
    hi
    do i need a licence or is there a seasonal restriction for shooting big fish (dolphin,basking sharks). i have the gun licence and gun

I suppose if they are on your own land...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Funnily enough there was a guy in Clare some years back who got the idea into his head to try and shoot spawning pike in the shallows with his shotgun.

He tried to do so in front of some fishermen who passed the word onto to more fishermen in the area.

The story ended with the pike being fine and the discovery that shotguns don't float.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

randomnoob wrote: »
    hi

welcome-to-epic-fail-huge-facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Troooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllll

Either that or a true moron for thinking Dolphins are fish (and please dont say he was referring to mahi mahi)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Jaysus no wonder he was banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

You dont just need a licence. You'l have to get waterproof cartridges and a diving suit first. The cartridges are very hard get. You wil need a underwater hairdryer too, gun oil and a rag to stop the gun from getting rusty. And remember to be sure of your shot and to aim in a safe direction ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Arf. But seriously, if you're shooting at them from a boat, you're breaking the Wildlife Acts (you can't hunt from any motor vehicle be it car, aircraft or boat).

If you plan on diving in and shooting while underwater, let us know first so we can film it for the Darwin awards, would you?

And if you plan on shooting at them from land, let us know first so we can arrange for the Gardai to collect the confiscated firearm and the revoked licence after they evacuate the five miles or so opposite you (so that noone gets hurt when the round ricochets off the surface of the lake...).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement