Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial arts for tall people

• 05-01-2011 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I am 6'4" and trying to improve my fitness, plus also have been victim of the new game 'find a tall guy and headbutt him in the nose then run away' a few times last year. Anyway am I too tall for martial arts and also are my reasons the wrong ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No your not too tall, not in the least.

Is there any particular style your interested it, or is it just self defence?.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Well not really sure, ruled out stuff like judo & would prefer something more self defense than attacking (i am sure I sound like muppett to those in the know)

Maybe kickboxing or tae kwon doe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Well not really sure, ruled out stuff like judo & would prefer something more self defense than attacking (i am sure I sound like muppett to those in the know)

Maybe kickboxing or tae kwon doe....

Check out the combatives link in my sig below mate it might suit you.

All the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just so you know mate, I'd be close to your height and did Tae Kwon do for years. Even though after some research I discovered it favoured shorter people in some aspects, having nice long legs helped alot in tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

Your arms and legs are long, so try muay thai or boxing:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

I am 6'4" and trying to improve my fitness, plus also have been victim of the new game 'find a tall guy and headbutt him in the nose then run away' a few times last year. Anyway am I too tall for martial arts and also are my reasons the wrong ones?

Hi Joeyjoejoe83,

Don’t let the little game you have been victim of make you believe you are too tall to defend yourself. One of my former instructor had one arm less and was still beating the sxxt out of us..

Try different martial art, you will feel by yourself the ” good “ one for you. Whatever you decide to go for, one of the first result will happen on a psychological level as you will be able to recycle fear in a controlled and sane “aggressivity”. Potential aggressor will feel it and will think twice before picking on the tall guy..

As I’m instructing in Wingtsun in Dublin city center, a Chinese Martial Art designed for Self-Defence, I would naturally advise you to give it a try.

The whole practice is based on few concepts very clear and easy to understand. It emphasizes on body mechanics and fighting strategy , so whatever the structure of your body is– small, tall, large, etc..- you will be able to use it to its best abilities.
    There are few wingstun (also written wingchun ) classes in Dublin and around. On http://wingtsun.webs.com/ you will find few video showing what Wingtsun look like I’ m giving classes in Dublin city center and if that could interest you you are welcome for a trial class.

Bye

yomchi wrote: »
    Check out the combatives link in my sig below mate it might suit you.

All the best

Jon one of your recent articules on self defence (published in Irish Fighter) made some really good reading, esp. for the OP of this thread.

I'm not at home now, and can't remember which issue it was. But it was about pre-emptive striking and what you called 'sticky feet'.. If you remember it can you remember if its online?. I've mean't to recommend it to a few people since reading it.

I think it would make a lot of sense to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 adelarge1

i think the best self-defence is boxing, its the most practicable against multiple opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Our tallest member is 6' 6 1/2, I'd say we have 10 members over 6' 2... so no way are you too tall... its a great way to get fit while having fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

combat basketball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Height should be no problem, just ask Makikomi :D...

attachment.php?attachmentid=95641&stc=1&d=1257765830

^^^ Very good, and to put that into perspective I'm 6'2'' and 115kgs!.

He whooped my ass!.

Btw, thats Shona Maguire from Rush Fight Accademy in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Jesus, Mart you're a big lad to stand beside he makes you look like papa smurf! Giant of a man!

I'll dig out those articels and post them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

combat basketball

I was going to post that :mad:

Advertisement