Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent supplement

• 05-01-2011 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I handed in my notice today (long story but I began working there over a month ago and since then I've been bullied until I just broke down today and said I was going.)

I'm now paniced about my rent. It's 600 a month for just me living in Wicklow (i've enough saved to get by for a month, maybe two with bills until I, fingers crossed, can get a new job). Do I qualify for a rent supplement? I'm really so upset as it is at the moment, the thought of having to move as well if I can't get a new job in time terrifies me.

I'm sure I sound like a winge complaining about giving up a job when I was lucky to have one, I'm sorry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Just want to say am sorry you went through that at work. It must have been bad for you to just quit.

I'm not clued up on rental allowance as i don't get it, but am sure someone will be along in a bit with some information.

Chin up and good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

First you should apply for Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance

www.welfare.ie has easy accessible information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Sorry to hear your news OP. Rent of €600 p/m would far exceed the upper limits for rent allowance, so you won't qualify unless you get your landlord to bring the rent down by 33% or else have him/her fill out the form to suit the requirements. Doing that with such a difference would really be tough on you though.

You will most likely have to move if you can't get another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Go straight to your local community welfare officer and sign on for jobseekers' at your local dole office.

It takes some time for rent allowance to come through, and it will involve to-ing and fro-ing with your local county council to be assessed as in 'housing need'.
    But the sooner you get on the case, and your application in the better.

Bear in mind that your rent will exceed the rent allowance cap limits and this can prove problematic. Some CWO's refuse rent allowance outright because of this, others are more sympathetic. Suss him/her out first.

If you left your work voluntarily, you will not be able to claim the dole for 9 wks afaik, however, you did the right thing in getting away from a toxic workplace if you were being bullied intolerably.

If you kept a record of these incidents you may be able to bring a case against your former employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Good advice from Darlugha. Plus, the SW will give you an opportunity to explain why you left the job.

I]Voluntarily Left Employment

A person may be disqualified for receiving JA for up to 9 weeks from date of leaving employment if s/he has left the employment voluntarily and without just cause.

'Good cause' is not defined and it is for the Deciding Officer to apply a common sense meaning to the expression in
    considering the case. Factors that may be taken into account could include the circumstances surrounding any changes in working conditions, the financial situation of the firm, whether leaving the employment amounted to constructive dismissal (i.e. the person left the employment following harassment/abuse from the employer).
    [/I]
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Thank you everyone for the replies! It really means a lot. Going to head down to the welfare officer first thing tomorrow

Advertisement