Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lady gaga

Options
  • 05-01-2011 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I hope that there will be a lady gaga musical in the future

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Hmm I dunno. There isn't a huge amount of story fitting with her songs (on the current album(s)). If you take Mamma Mia (not a personal favourite of mine) as your role model, at least Abba's songs had a bit more emotional substance behind them. I'm not having a go at Gaga, just saying her songs perhaps wouldn't fit with a jukebox musical.

What seems much more likely is if she were to write her own musical, from scratch (or at least mostly from scratch). It would almost certainly be put into production, and would probably do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Ugh, I'm sick of these premises for writing musicals - the story is just an excuse to throw in as many songs as possible. The real drama is in the story, the musicals tell a story through song, like an opera. Yeah the music should be fantastic, but it's story first, music second.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

I dunno. I'm with you in as far as I don't like any of them.

However, I've always figured they serve their purpose. Sure - I'd prefer it if someone went and saw The Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee as opposed to We Will Rock You. But just because I think they're poor excuses for musicals, doesn't mean everyone does. I hate Andrew Lloyd Webber. I think his work is tripe. There are literally millions of people who disagree with me, they think he is the definition of good musical theatre. And that's fine. I don't have to go see them, anyone who does, can.

I also know anecdotally that Jukebox Musicals can make people who would have stayed away from the theatre rethink their stance after seeing one (because their favourite band was featured). That's not a bad thing.

But like I say, I don't actually like them either.

Advertisement