Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the newest irish hip hop act

• 05-01-2011 6:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

so guys i know im not a usual poster to the hip hop forum but i have to spread the new up and coming dublin based hip hop group escape the deadlights.

these guys are very good friends of mine and they have fantastic music, give them a listen

link to the youtube video for anyone who cannot see the embedded video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2hqR3Kt2aE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The video isn't working, but I looked it up.

The song is pretty well put together, i like the beat and the vocal (is it a sample? I presume it is?)

But it's the same as a lot of irish Hip Hop. These guys are just trying to immitate American rap. the half irish half American accents are very annoying. The lyrics are terrible. References to stabbing and guns? Please!

And the guy at the end? Sounds about 15? "How many bullets can you take to the mid section?"........ are you from Compton kid?

IMO, great Hip-Hop is done by poets, gifted musicians, those with something to say.........

These guys fit none of that criteria!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

the kid at the end is 14, i am promoting these lads as they are good mates of mine,give their other stuff a listen too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

jedward droppin f-bombs now? :rolleyes:

xsiborg wrote: »
    jedward droppin f-bombs now? :rolleyes:

thats just plain mean

the kid at the end is 14, i am promoting these lads as they are good mates of mine,give their other stuff a listen too:)

He sounds it! And the lyrics sound like they were written by a 14 year old who was trying to win a "Let's try sound like we're from Compton" contest.

But I quite liked the music. is any of the music their own work or did they just grab a sample to rap over?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

ok, i applaud the kids efforts, but as a previous poster suggested, they should be able to do hip hop without the faux american accents. and they should write music thats relevant to them.

otherwise they'll end up having about as much credibility as this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHw3nbb6VEA

You know, I "know" Spiral. Not really well anyway. But I live close to Finglas and when he released that song I really tried my best to stay away from it! I knew how really really bad it was going to be!

right now I clicked on that link not knowing what it was and MY GOD!!!! It's a complete disgrace! it's even worse than i thought it would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

If they lose the accents and keep working at it they could be pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

Track is very well put together, I've only recently got in to hiphop and they seem to have a good understanding of it, like the female vocal and the rhythm, the lyrics are alright too but ya maybe they could write more from their own experiences and might have to do something with those accents...

promising though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Heard the beat someplace before. Not exactly my favorite but it's alright.

1st guy: best of the 3. Flows a bit choppy. Adlibs are all over the place.

2nd guy: mumbling too much. Needs to deliver it more clearly/confidently.

3rd kid: Most youngfellas end up rapping with American accents initially. Tell him to try get rid of it though because nobody will take him seriously. I personally like a bit of gun talk wouldn't get rid of it completely sure it's a bit of a laugh.

Alright as a start. Practice makes perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

if they are realatively new then this is a great start. I think they have alot of work to do on thier delivery and adlibs, and for the 3rd guy to stop moving away from the mic....sounds like he was head bobbing while recording. They will get more polished as they go along but need to spend more time on learning about the equipment they are using and how to use and interact with it. Thier volume levels sound different on each verse. The 3 verses are alright, but could be tightened up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

whats with the accents,sounds more country than dublin.

so a new video is up, give it a listen and let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYkxekhtRyg&feature=feedlik

Advertisement