Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on which Smartphone to buy.......

Options
  • 05-01-2011 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,326 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a mid range (€200 approx) for a Smartphone. I will be using it on Meteor network and as a PAYG customer.

What should I be looking at and what are the main tech specs that I need to consider - which is more imprtant from a performance pov internal or external memory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

internal memory - google are actively moving away from supporting external microsd cards

A smart phone is useless without a data package/connection so make sure you get one somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,326 ✭✭✭✭phog

internal memory - google are actively moving away from supporting external microsd cards

A smart phone is useless without a data package/connection so make sure you get one somehow

For a nooob like me is that internet access? Meteor has internet usage for about .80c a day which I'd find okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

The Desire would be one to look at, and ya as mlmcelligott said make sure you are covered with the Internet Package.....

.80c sounds good but whats the limit on that? Keep in mind big webpages suck a fair bit of data as well as any App's and Push email etc...

Would the Desire not be more expensive and out of my price range?

If I'm reading Meteor's site correctly then it's .69c per day for 50Mb and then .02c per Kb over the 50MB - is that good for mid usage internet. I can piggy pack of wireless at work and home.

Wow sorry I didnt realise the Desire was so expensive on Pay as You Go! Jeebus :P

I guess from the selection of Meteor Smart phones under the 200 mark I would go for the Wildfire, stay well clear of Sony's rubbish whatever you do.

50mb is ok but not great, you'd prob want to watch it.

Check out emobile too as they seem to be better priced on pre-pay phones, if their site is right then you can get the Desire "FROM" 129 on prepay.

Also .69c x 30 days = 20.70euro thats EXPENSIVE, considering on Bill 12month contract you will get a cheaper better phone 200min and 200texts and 1 gig of data for 35euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

if you are going up north at any point get a San Francisco from an orange store or Argos, best budget smartphone and comes in at around €130

if you are going up north at any point get a San Francisco from an orange store or Argos, best budget smartphone and comes in at around €130

Would I then have to get it "unblocked" (if that's the correct term) for use here on meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

+1 to that, great budget Android Smartphone. Yes you can get it unlocked for a nominal charge €10-20 I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I would never have gone near bill pay until I got my desire hd, now I think it's essential as the data you get with your €20 a month top up is quite poor (250mb i think) and you also only get free meteor to meteor texts. On the other hand for €25 a month on bill pay you get 200mins and 200texts to any network, 1gb monthly data and free meteor to meteor calls and texts. Much better deal imo and if you don't buy a phone with it you won't get locked into a contract. On the other hand if you do get the phone with it it'll be a lot cheaper but you will be in an 12/18month contract

My problem is that my main usage of the phone is texting, I'd send about 30 texts a day so with €20 payg I get free texts to all mobiles but with a contract I'd only get about 200texts a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

phog wrote: »
    My problem is that my main usage of the phone is texting, I'd send about 30 texts a day so with €20 payg I get free texts to all mobiles but with a contract I'd only get about 200texts a month.

Would you not consider moving to 3? I was on meteor for a few yrs and found them to be good but I find 3 to be even better. With 3, a €20 top up gets you free anytime any network texts, free any network weekend calls and 500mb of data plus they now give you €10 free credit at the end of every month for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

Would I then have to get it "unblocked" (if that's the correct term) for use here on meteor?

The Orange San Francisco can be unlocked for free - see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

3 Ireland is your best bet... €20 top up a month gets you 3000 any network texts, 3000 any network weekend minutes, 500MB data, free skype, and if you want 1GB data for €4.99 a month, plus €10 free at the end of the month!

3 Ireland is your best bet... €20 top up a month gets you 3000 any network texts, 3000 any network weekend minutes, 500MB data, free skype, and if you want 1GB data for €4.99 a month, plus €10 free at the end of the month!

It's €4.99 for the 500mb of data, not 1GB of data. You buy the data as an add on out of your €20 top up...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Roebourne9

How do you get €10 free with 20 top up have topped up several times and never got 10

Roebourne9 wrote: »
    How do you get €10 free with 20 top up have topped up several times and never got 10

You need to opt into it if you're an existing customer. All the details are here buddy http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Roebourne9

Thanks will do

Resurrecting my thread again.

I have an offer on a 2nd hand Blackberry 9700 or can buy a new San Francisco.

Which is the better of the 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

The Blade unless you really REALLY need the specific BB things

Blackberry's are very annoying to use and are more business geared anywho, Id deffo go for the Android option.

• Advertisement

Dragging this post up again, as I can get the San Francisco in the UK in the next fortnight and I want to know is it still a good buy or has technology passed it out?

Dragging this post up again, as I can get the San Francisco in the UK in the next fortnight and I want to know is it still a good buy or has technology passed it out?

the reason the Blade is so cheap is that it IS last Gen tech
    its the price, WVGA screen and excellent Custom ROMs that make it such good value :)

the reason the Blade is so cheap is that it IS last Gen tech
    its the price, WVGA screen and excellent Custom ROMs that make it such good value :)

So to clarify, it's still worth the money ?

So to clarify, it's still worth the money ?

for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

When buying it, do you need to give an address or anything?

Think I might pick a blade up in the next while.

Ebbs wrote: »
    When buying it, do you need to give an address or anything?

Think I might pick a blade up in the next while.

I dont know but my sister can get me the phone using her address if needed.

Advertisement