Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- City, 19.45, SS2

• 05-01-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

Big game for both teams tonight with a win for Arsenal putting them second and a win for City putting them joint top with United.

I'd expect Arsenal to go something like this:

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Djourou
    Koscielny
    Clichy
    Wilshere---Song----Fabregas
    Nasri
    RVP
    Arshavin
    Although I'd prefer to see:

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Djourou
    Koscielny
    Clichy
    Wilshere---Song----Fabregas
    Walcott
    RVP
    Nasri

As for City, I'd hazard a guess at:

Hart
    Boateng
    Toure
    Kompany
    Kolarov
    Barry
    De Jong
    Milner
    Toure
    Johnson
    Tevez

Tevez is going to cause real problems for whatever CB pairing we put out and presents a much different threat to Drogba so Djourou's physicality will be of much less use against him tonight, although it will be invaluable at set pieces where City have a lot of big players to throw forward, and judging that 50% of our conceded goals have come form set pieces I'd expect us to concede one tonight.

Gonna go for a score draw 2-2.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Well in with the early thread Frisbee. Then again i can't see Arshavin being brought back into the squad. Changed XI in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

im not sure about Toures fitness, so he mightnt start.

Silva is a big miss for us there too. Id hope for above, and for milner to up his game, but im going to go for a solid 3-1. I cant see us getting out of the blocks for this. Im not optimistic and still think Arsenal are the better team.

I'd prefer your team too. Can't see Arshavin starting this one. He'll have time over the two cup matches to prove himself again.

2-1 to The Arsenal

(and a very nervy Papa Smut!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Score draw would be nice, but something tells me Arsenal will edge this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It'll be a tight game, if city score first can see watching paint dry be more excitng, with 3 DM's they'll shut up shop. If Arse score first i can see it being a very open game.

Can't see Arshavin starting. Djorou's height will definately be needed for the set pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Nervous about this one,we need Tevez to pick himself up after his one man miss the target show on Saturday against Blackpool.Silva is a big loss,he's be playing very well of late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can't any reason at all for Wenger to change the team that started at Birmingham.

It'll be close and I'm delighted Silva is out but I think Arsenal will win this one and a genuine title charge will really begin from here.

The reserves dropped two points against Wigan but the focus for the players that started against Chelsea and Birmingham was always on a set of three games before the short break. They've played two great games in a row and now I think that Nasri, Fabregas and Van Persie will be sharp and perhaps too much for City to deal with.

There is always the possible 'attack for 30 minutes and then concede to their first shot' outcome but I think with Arsenal's full attacking squad to choose available, we won't see the sloppiness in possession that usually leads to this.

(All of the above is 50% informed opinion and 50% hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

folan wrote: »
    im not sure about Toures fitness, so he mightnt start.

Silva is a big miss for us there too. Id hope for above, and for milner to up his game, but im going to go for a solid 3-1. I cant see us getting out of the blocks for this. Im not optimistic and still think Arsenal are the better team.

Yaya or kolo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

i'd say frisbee is right about arshavin starting ahead of walcott for this one. city will most likely sit back a good bit so walcott won't get much space in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Massive game tonight. If Arsenal win I think they could well go on and win the league, don't think I could say the same of Man City. Think Walcott should start on the bench, he's almost better coming off it as an impact player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

No way Theo needs to start to get a feel for the game and get in good areas he doesn't do it off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Mancini will set out his team not to lose tonight, as he has done playing all the top teams this season. Barry, De Jong, Toure will all start and Mancini would take a 0-0 with glee. They have been so negative this season playing against the better teams that this could another bore-fest. Are Arsenal good enough to break down City's defense or will Tevez actually get a chance? Dont know but can see this being a low scoring game with little happening. 0-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Never been impressed with the City midfield, reckon Arsenal will comfortably win this one like they did at Eastlands. It City get anything out of this game they'll need to keep Fabregas and Nasri quiet, but I just cant see them doing this.

THFC wrote: »
    Never been impressed with the City midfield, reckon Arsenal will comfortably win this one like they did at Eastlands. It City get anything out of this game they'll need to keep Fabregas and Nasri quiet, but I just cant see them doing this.

They were down to 10 men for the majority of the game though and still caused a good few problems so i expect it to be a close game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Our away form has been superb and hopefully we don't go a man down after 5 minutes again. I know other posters have been alluding the the Mancini negativity, however recently we have looked good and play a more expansive attacking game. I think we can get something out of this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If City score and you see a lone figure celebrating in amongst the Arsenal fans that'll probably be me. I don't expect to survive either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm thinking Arsenal will edge it 2-1.
    I hope Wilshere plays a stormer, but unfortunately Super Mario won't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If City score and you see a lone figure celebrating in amongst the Arsenal fans that'll probably be me. I don't expect to survive either :D

What section are you in? If your directly across from the away fans you could be in trouble alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

reckon Arsenal will comfortably win this one

city played for 90 mins at eastlands with 10 men so forget about that game. Assuming nobody gets sent off or any major ref cock ups, all things being equal this will be a hard tight tough game. with silva out a huge loss for city. a score draw i think 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Playing with ten men had no affect on that at all.

Will Johnson start? Away to Arsenal I doubt it. Close enough for me, 1-0, 1-1 type game with City defending for the whole game, hopefully we nick it and get back level with Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Lol at Wenger,he wouldnt want to win the league after spending millions like City,but rather win it with is home grown stars

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Playing with ten men had no affect on that at all.

Will Johnson start? Away to Arsenal I doubt it. Close enough for me, 1-0, 1-1 type game with City defending for the whole game, hopefully we nick it and get back level with Utd.

I dont think city will defend for the whole game, thats not what they have done in recent games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The signs were there before City had a man sent off that Arsenal were going to boss the game. Wasnt the sending off a result of a last man tackle? Think some one was going thru 1 on 1, very to early to have your defence split. Just saying like:) I'm sure I'll be proved wrong tonight anyways..

Gillington wrote: »
    Lol at Wenger,he wouldnt want to win the league after spending millions like City,but rather win it with is home grown stars

He's a bit like me so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I dont think city will defend for the whole game, thats not what they have done in recent games.

It's the best way to play against Arsenal though. They'll set themselves up to frustrate Arsenal if Mancini has any sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

The signs were there before City had a man sent off that Arsenal were going to boss the game. Wasnt the sending off a result of a last man tackle? Think some one was going thru 1 on 1, very to early to have your defence split. Just saying like:) I'm sure I'll be proved wrong tonight anyways..

The whole 4 minutes. /shakes head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mancini seesm to like to keep it very tight in the bigger games and they're definitely good enough to get a draw here.

Which would suit me just grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

2-0 Arsenal with another solid performance from Djourou please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

karma_ wrote: »
    The whole 4 minutes. /shakes head

And in those 4 minutes City were the much better side, both Tevez and Silva had good chances.

• Advertisement

:confused:

I would have thought the vast majority of people would prefer their team to win like that then by spunking a load of money on players. Obviously it's easier to do it that way but of course he'd ideally like to win it with his method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thought this was the funniest reference ever!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/305156/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In recent games they have played rubbish sides like Blackpool etc. Against Utd and Chelsea they played ultra-defensively and with their most-in-form player in Silva out, I can see them doing the same tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Actual comments:
    "What is fantastic in football is there is no given formula," Wenger said. "I personally am a big fan of the way we do it, so I try to be successful with the way we do it.

"You can also do it the way Inter [Milan] do, or Manchester City do, they buy the best players in the world and it works as well. What I want to show is it works our way as well.

What's to lol at?

Damn, got training at 8 so gonna miss the majority of the match. I hope to come to see Arsenal celebrating there second in a 2-0 victory!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

So people reckon City still play 3 DMC's despite Yaya hardly stepping back inside in own half all year! Anyone who watches City will know Yaya's DM days are long gone, i reckon this is gonna be a cracker no matter if City score early or vice versa!

Unfortunately Arsenal always get the better of us, and i can see their ability to play as a stronger unit being our downfall.. Teams can only stand up to Arsenal when they really work hard and defend as a cohesive unit.. City are definitely improving in this aspect but im not quite sure there where they need to be to finaly beat Arsenal away!

Hoping im wrong but i can see Arsenal taking this!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Please God Arsenal to win but.......

My fantasy football head wants
    Fabregas to score and assist
    Nasri to score and assist
    K Toure to score and assist
    Tevez to score and assist

So 3 - 2 Arsenal should just about do it for me but I don't see that happening

We haven't played against a really good team since United though. Away to Arsenal I think we'll be very defensive unless we concede. I'd take a boring 1-0 anyway, a win's a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Arsenal/City

HT/FT - 45/1 with PP. May stick a sneaky fiver on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

That_Guy wrote: »
    Arsenal/City

HT/FT - 45/1 with PP. May stick a sneaky fiver on it.

Well worth it at those odds.

Would be typical of us to throw away a lead.

So people reckon City still play 3 DMC's despite Yaya hardly stepping back inside in own half all year! Anyone who watches City will know Yaya's DM days are long gone, i reckon this is gonna be a cracker no matter if City score early or vice versa!
    :(

true this will be a good game might not be trillions of goals but a good match between two good teams. Pity its on poxy sky sports 2 that means i have to go to the pub to watch it, oh what a pity;)

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    Damn, got training at 8 so gonna miss the majority of the match.

Thats why i dont play football anymore - miss too much football on TV
    that and Im shyte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'd love to see a rip roaring, high scoring draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Galvasean wrote: »
    that and Im shyte!

I'd be the opposite, I'd sacrifice watching football for the rest of my life as long as I could play!

Hard match to call. I think City will nick it. They'll be organised and defensive and will look to hit Arsenal on the counter. Johnson could cause major problems.

that and Im shyte!

I still prefer playing over watching although id love to watch the match tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Wenger has to start Walcott tonight. If he does we will win handy. If he doesn't a boring 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Wenger has to start Walcott tonight. If he does we will win handy. If he doesn't a boring 0-0 draw.

If City played a high line, then it'd be essential that he started, but since I doubt they will, I think he'll make a bigger impact coming on as a sub.

I'm glad Silva is out for City. he's the kind of player who when combined with tevez could really hurt Arsenal.
    Question: With Super Mario out injured, what are the chances that Adebayor will make tonight's squad after his recent... 'altercations'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Is this game on Irish Radio? I'll most likely be on a bus for the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is going to be darn exciting :)

I'm glad Silva is out for City. he's the kind of player who when combined with tevez could really hurt Arsenal.
    Question: With Super Mario out injured, what are the chances that Adebayor will make tonight's squad after his recent... 'altercations'?

Ade hasn't even made the bench in ages, I don't really consider him a City player anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement