Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You won't be a different person tomorrow.

Options
  • 05-01-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

...meaning, putting it off won't make any difference.

Day One saw me up at 6-ish am to run a measy two miles. It took me 22 minutes (pretty dreadful) and right now everything hurts. It feels like a jack russel bit me in the ass.

But it's a start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

awesome :D

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Ta missus. :D

I started this morning running like an old lady, hardly any pace and hardly lifting my legs. Plus it was freezing cold. But I managed it, and even increased my route just slightly. By the end, with a good song on the radio, I was almost having fun. :)

Everything hurts, which is an indication how unfit I must have been. I'd been in the gym quite a bit in December, so what can I say?

I deserve a medal going out there this morning, the cold was vicious. But I really hate slacking off, so at 6.30am, out I was, valiantly fighting the cold while I went for my run.

A point about water; I need it. I have to remember to hydrate before each run so that I stand a chance of getting it done. Plus, throughtout the day, as overall the body will demand more water.

And a final point. Sorry to all those coming down the stairs behind me at the moment, my legs hurt and I take ages. But feck taking the lift, I need to get active.

Up at six am again. It is definately getting easier to run, and I'm able to lose the 'old lady shuffle' and at times look almost like a runner. If I was doing this once or twice a week I might add some length to it.

However, this is the first full week of running, and I've never done that before. I want to see how I get on running five days a week, at whatever length, before I go make any plans. So for this week, the goal is to run for five days, no worrys about making good time, and to have no injurys etc afterwards. Lets see how we get on.

• Advertisement

Disaster. Have woken up late, and won't get home until after 9. Will try to go for a run tonight.

Well, managed to get up and get it done today. No major problems, but still mad at myself for yesterday.

Another one done. It is getting easier, but like I said, the goal is to be completely comfortable running five days a week. Only then increase the length of the runs.

Ssquarble... alarm! Loud! Loud alarm! No! Bad, turn off! Turn off loud alarm!! (Noise off) Bloody hell... What's that you say, Mr. Duvet? Why am I leaving you? Why, because I am crazy, that's why... Cold bathroom, cold stairs, cold air outside... tired...up, run like person who is not there... second mile, getting better. Done, but passed out by several snails and a two year old on a bike with streamers.

Tis done. The big push is on to run like someone who can run. I'm tempted to push beyond the 2 plus miles I run at the moment, but if I can do two weeks of five days a week at this level then I'll give myself more to do. And not before.

It does put me in a good mood, though apologies to all on the bus as I hummed away to myself this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Walls wrote: »
    Tis done. The big push is on to run like someone who can run. I'm tempted to push beyond the 2 plus miles I run at the moment, but if I can do two weeks of five days a week at this level then I'll give myself more to do. And not before.

It does put me in a good mood, though apologies to all on the bus as I hummed away to myself this morning.

just try get the time down or instead change the route keep the 2mile but add in hills or go the opposite way for a change

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    just try get the time down or instead change the route keep the 2mile but add in hills or go the opposite way for a change

Joking/

Sorry, who are you? Are you there at 6am helping me get up and do this? Are you? Then no, go away and sit over there....

OVER THERE!

/Joking

In other news, my right ankle hurts. I'm giving serious thought to doing yoga/stretching tomorrow morning.

Another one done. I'm getting out later and later, I need to nip that in the bud.

Got over the difficult 13th post. Up and a very cold run this morning, avoiding the Gardai outside my house due to a fire blocking the road. Managed to leave the house earlier too.

Food: Felt down this am, so have just had some chocolate at my desk. Didn't even enjoy it, something like a flapjack would have been nicer. Being down isn't pleasant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm tired and cold just reading this!
    Keep it up Hon. :)

Woke up late, and told myself that I would have to just stretch for the day.

Then I remembered that Beruthial said I was cool.

So up I got, when out for a run. Running on frost is difficult, I spent a lot of it flapping mah wings *like this* trying not to fall down.

Running half an hour later I noticed a lot more runners/walkers. Seems 6.30, rather than 6.00, is the running time of choice.

Passed the site of that fire yesterday. I'd say someone light a fire with something and it spread to the ground floor, judging by the scorch marks. Probably trying to keep warm.

So, it's done! I've run five days in a row, first time ever! And I look amazing!! <flicks hair>

Funny the things you realise when alone, exercising in the early morning. Like just how much my house needs vacuuming.

Monday: Done! I'm typing this at 6.53 because I await the immersion heating up. Glad the internet doesn't allow smell-o-vision.

Tuesday: It was difficult to get up this morning, but once I was out the run was actually almost fun. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Your updates makes me laugh :)

Fair play to you, you're a better woman than me getting up to run at 6am!!!

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    Your updates makes me laugh :)

Gwan out of that, before I get Joe Pesci on ya.

Well, it was very very hard to get up this am, kept dreaming of a sunbed by the pool. Still there is no point hiding it, I'm getting better at it. I'm running instead of my staggering gait. Still bloody cold though.

Thursday: If yesterday was easy, today was not. Got to bed early, got out there, and yet my limbs were leaden and the wind seemed dreadful. Also learnt on the radio while running that yer wan on Today FM is heading off to Phantom, sad news that. Still, it is done, so yea me.

Friday: I had actual lines in front of my eyes this morning, but I got up, I went for my run, and again in some weird way I ran quite well. I'd a nice long evening the night before, but still could run well the next day.

Ooh almost forgot - the bathroom scales are giving me good news. More on that one when there's...more good news.

That is that done for this week, see you all Monday! (Shuffles papers, switches off computer, nods at camera while the music plays.)

Saturday.

Was down in my folks house, went into the back bathroom to wash my hands. The shower door was angled away from me. I soaped up and was washing my hands when I looked up.

And froze.

The angle gave me a perfect view of me. The only thing I can say is that I was appalling. Just appalling. I stood there, water flowing over my hands, just shocked. And I've been exercising.

I'm just going to have to keep going. If you don't stop, you can't quit.

Monday: Don't worry, I did my run. Today is my birthday*, so I took the day off work and did the run at 8.30. Wouldn't recommend it, it was almost my worst run yet and all the morning commuters were less than forgiving in their glances. Would not go again.

*My age is none of your business.

Tuesday: Up at the usual time. Had the most bizarre dream about locking Bertie Ahern in the woodshed and hearing his screams and not giving a sh*t.

Huh.

So up, went for my run, was really very slow but what of it, now to await the damn immersion to get the rest of the day started.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lis9

Lovin ur thread Walls, you're really motivating me to go and get some!
    Think it's cuz you're showing you're a normal person, just like me :p

Ta Lis9. That was your first post, no less. Now it belongs to the ages.

Wednesday: Well, certainly easier than yesterday, not sure why. In an unrelated point, take a box of Ribena blackcurrant juice, strap it to your lower abdomen just over your belly button, and go for your run. Now you know what running with a period feels like!!*

*Not that you asked, you bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

You've made me LOL so much at this - just the inspiration i need! Thank you :)

Starting tomorrow my new gym membership shall be purchased and my extra 10kg shall be abolished! Imagine if it was that easy...

Best of luck lady! :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday: It has been a long and difficult week. But today I walked three miles and managed to run at the end.

Advertisement