Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You won't be a different person tomorrow.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Oryx wrote: »
    If it helps, we all have periods where its going shoite. :) Its just your turn. If you havent already, see a sports physio and/or get gait analysis. Running with pain or injury will only ever make it worse and lead to more down time in the long run (bad, bad pun).

Good luck with it and hope you get the fun back soon.
    Oryx, you've been supportive of me for quite a while. Himself is hoping I'll go for the gait analysis, but I'm hesitant because I think the following will happen:

Analyst Type Person: Okay, lets see you run.
    Walls: Sure thing!
    A.T.P: ...Okay, I think I see what the problem is.
    Walls: Oh?
    A.T.P.: You're ****ing huge, Woman.
    Walls: Am...
    A.T.P.: Seriously, do you eat...like...a food mountain, or something?
    Walls: I hadn't...am...
    A.T.P.: Get out of here so I can help a person who really needs it.

And so on. But if enough people are telling me to go, I guess I better go.

cocoemma wrote: »
    Walls, I have just finished reading your fittness journal and I have to say you have inspired me and your soo funny you made me laugh.. Im soo down today, I'm saying since January I'll join the gym but I haven't and NOW its June, Im feeling pretty useless or I'll say I was till after I read your journal, I'll now start my walking tomorrow it just goes to show I need to find my own determination and self disapline (can't spell) that you've showed.., i've a treadmill at home so my fat ass shouldn't be making any excuses..thank you for sharing it...

PS: I might start my own thread humm...

Go right ahead and do it, the only person holding you back is yourself. :)

Monday: Did the Ladies Marathon. Six miles.

Just completed it in 1 hour, one minute. Am limping like yer man House, and just as grumpy, but very proud of me. :D

Strike that!! According to The Herald, I'm 59 minutes and 12 seconds!! Hurrah!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well whoop whoop whoop for you! Sub hour your first time out, excellent.

About gait analysis. The guys doing it ideally want to sell you a pair of shoes. They wont mention your weight, and will only consider it, if at all, to allow for the effect on your feet. Really, they see all shapes and sizes (no, they really do) and They. Dont. Care. They will just see you as 'one more of us, one less of them'.

The first time I went, my only thought was 'please dont make me run too far, Ill fall off the tready'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations Walls! You must be chuffed :D

Congratulations Walls! You must be chuffed :D

I'm limping like yer man from House, which I think makes me look cooool. Seriously? I'm just glad it's over, that was a hard race to run.

Monday: I'm back! Well lads, how are things? Made my way out this am for a three mile run, and I can still feel that leg give out. Plan is to rest tomorrow and to go again Wednesday.

Thursday: Well, due to the fact that Monday's run left me in pain, I thought it wise to leave running for a few days. So today I got up and ran at 6am, and made it through three miles. I'm surprised though, in that instead of my left leg having a shin split, it now seems that my right hip is where the pain is located? Huh? Very strange.

Also, added to this, is a diet plan; for the next two weeks no starch, no carbs, no red meat, no sugar and no fruit. Instead, I am focusing on eating white meat (chicken, turkey and fish), veg, eggs and diary. After two weeks of this I get to add in red meat, and two weeks after that I get to add in nuts and fruit. The reason I'm doing this is my play opens up for Previews at the end of August and they would like me to say a few words. I want to be able to suck in mah tummy successfully, so dieting I go.

I was doing great until Tuesday when Beloved Husband came home with flowers and a huge dinner to celebrate the six years since we got together. Couldn't really say to him, sod that, I'm on a diet. So Wednesday was back to the drawing board, and Thursday, today, is the new Day Two. Wish me luck.

Sunday: Well Sports Fans, how are things? I have been sticking with the diet, and am actually enjoying it, believe it or not. I've lost a bit of weight, which is frankly the whole bloody point.

Ahem.

I got up this morning and ran three miles but between you and me it isn't enough. My training curve goes right back to zero after the two days rest and I'm slow and sluggish out there. I think I need to start running 2 miles after a day's rest, rather than 3 miles after two days rest. The only problem is this consistent pain in my hip. Getting old!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Go to a physio about the pain. Its not your age ;) its probably just something that needs tweaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mavisoc

Walls, you're gas. I was on the 17 Day Diet last week or in my case 'The 5 Day Diet' - so no sweeties/sugar at all, no carbs, no red meat, no starchy vegetables or 'sugary' fruit. So was living on eggs, turkey rashers, apples, red grapes, chicken & salad - woe was indeed me!!!! Then ended up having 3 glasses of wine on Friday night and I swear - no word of lie I went mental. I've been eating nothing but bread since!! So don't go too crazy on your crazy diet ;)

Also please go for the gait analysis. A friend of mine just went recently and found out that all her pain wasn't down to shin splints when she ran but down to the WAY she ran! She's cycling now while she works on improving her gait and guess what - no pain whatsoever with the cycling. So whatever gets you through and all that...

Just came across this: http://runforyourlives.com/. Would love if there was something like this here. Watch the video, you'll want to start running too.

mavisoc wrote: »
    Walls, you're gas. I was on the 17 Day Diet last week or in my case 'The 5 Day Diet' - so no sweeties/sugar at all, no carbs, no red meat, no starchy vegetables or 'sugary' fruit. So was living on eggs, turkey rashers, apples, red grapes, chicken & salad - woe was indeed me!!!! Then ended up having 3 glasses of wine on Friday night and I swear - no word of lie I went mental. I've been eating nothing but bread since!! So don't go too crazy on your crazy diet ;)

Also please go for the gait analysis. A friend of mine just went recently and found out that all her pain wasn't down to shin splints when she ran but down to the WAY she ran! She's cycling now while she works on improving her gait and guess what - no pain whatsoever with the cycling. So whatever gets you through and all that...

Don't give up! This diet is mine until after the 27th August, when I have to stand up in a theatre* and introduce my play. So I can do it, so can you.

*Dahlings!

Well! Sorry this was left so long, but I had just discovered that I was (coughs to clear throat) with child. Anyways, this happened. http://www.writteninhaste.com/2013/06/30/i-have-lost-60-lbs-or-4-stone/

I'm swimming like a chlorine addict. How are you all doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mavisoc

Ah huge congrats Walls, both on the baba & your amazing weight loss. You look amazeballs! I had a baba myself last year & reading back through your whole log has made me realise how lazy I've become since those heady days of running downhill for 2 miles back in 2011!!

You're some woman - you truly are.

mavisoc wrote: »
    Ah huge congrats Walls, both on the baba & your amazing weight loss. You look amazeballs! I had a baba myself last year & reading back through your whole log has made me realise how lazy I've become since those heady days of running downhill for 2 miles back in 2011!!

You're some woman - you truly are.

No Hon, we're some women!! *Airkiss!*

Anyway, just to describe the routine. I swim three times a week, at 1600m a time. I've only just recently gone from 1500 to 1600, and it is still hard work at this stage. But I can do it in 30 minutes, so I get it down during my lunch hour.

Just completed 1500m. I've dropped down a lap because the extra distance wasn't adding anything but exhaustion, and at 1500 I've enough speed to keep me going. The only delay was getting a pair of goggles from the lifeguard, who said I could keep them. Didn't Michelle Smith have a problem with goggles, at some competition? Not that we're alike, or anything, perish the thought. So, that's 1500m done, and my hair is still perfect.

1500m on Friday, and I think I'm becoming complacent as to continuing effort. As in, I'm becoming lazy. But it was done, and will start up again this week.

• Advertisement

Monday: 1500 done - good time of 29 minutes, and last five laps were a dream.

Tuesday: Very different swim today, if not the worst I've had this year. I swam only 1,000 meters, maybe 1200, and that took 30 minutes. It was a slog from start to finish. Very strange.

Wednesday: Whatever was wrong with me yesterday was easing today. A good swim, some speed on me finally. I might try some speed work in my next swim to see how I go, it makes it more interesting.

Thursday: Broke the 15 laps into five laps each, going from ten minutes to nine and a half each. Did really well the first set, even better the next five, and just made it in the last set. And now I'm on mah hols! [commences eating chocolate]

Wednesday: Chugged through it like a Clydesdale, good consistent pace but no real speed. Still lovely to be swimming again. 1500 in 29 minutes, 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 abaragry1

Hey, just wondering if you kept your fitness regime going, and if you noticed any results?

I do! I swim 1500 metres about three to four times a week. I eat low to no carb for breakfast and lunch and have what I like for dinner. My weight is steady at ten and a half, and the 'half' is left over from Christmas, I will get it back to three or four lbs before too long.

Advertisement