Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMI Membership?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've finally managed to do what I've been dreaming of since I started producing tracks; getting one signed and released on a label! :D I'm delighted with it and have recieved the artwork and contract so everything is moving well.

However, the contract I got states that the artist must join BMI within a reasonable timeframe from signing. I've had a look through the BMI website and had a quick read through some documentation but I'm not too sure why this is needed or what purpose it serves. Can anyone give me some info on this membership and what its needed for? Is there any cost involved in signing up for them?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

DarkJager wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've finally managed to do what I've been dreaming of since I started producing tracks; getting one signed and released on a label! :D I'm delighted with it and have recieved the artwork and contract so everything is moving well.

However, the contract I got states that the artist must join BMI within a reasonable timeframe from signing. I've had a look through the BMI website and had a quick read through some documentation but I'm not too sure why this is needed or what purpose it serves. Can anyone give me some info on this membership and what its needed for? Is there any cost involved in signing up for them?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Big congrats man!

You got some great tunes there.

Yeah BMI looks like it's the equivalent of IMRO. They are organisations that collect licence fees on behalf of artists for radio play, club play etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

red dave wrote: »
    Big congrats man!

You got some great tunes there.

Yeah BMI looks like it's the equivalent of IMRO. They are organisations that collect licence fees on behalf of artists for radio play, club play etc.

Cheers Dave! :D

Yeah I had a feeling it was something like that. Can't apply online though outside of US so will have to print out a 22 page form and send it off to them. So these guys would be more about monitoring plays on radio etc and licensing of tracks than anything to do with royalties, or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

DarkJager wrote: »
    Cheers Dave! :D

Yeah I had a feeling it was something like that. Can't apply online though outside of US so will have to print out a 22 page form and send it off to them. So these guys would be more about monitoring plays on radio etc and licensing of tracks than anything to do with royalties, or am I wrong?

I could be completely wrong but I think they deal with the public plays and you deal with labels regarding contracts for royalties for releases and inclusion on compilations etc.

I'm completely guessing there but I'm sure there would be others here that would know for sure what the craic is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

red dave wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong but I think they deal with the public plays and you deal with labels regarding contracts for royalties for releases and inclusion on compilations etc.

I'm completely guessing there but I'm sure there would be others here that would know for sure what the craic is.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I think I'll download this form and have a good read of it tonight. The label contract lays out the royalty terms alright, was just quite confused as to why I need a membership for this group. Starting to make a bit of sense though!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

I'm not sure why the label would want you to be a member of BMI. Does it have to be BMI and not ASCAP or IMRO?
    If I was you I would ask them can you join IMRO instead. It makes much more sense to be a member of IMRO if you live in Ireland and you can't be a member of more than one royalty organization.
    IMRO would be much more personal.
    After you join you have to register your tracks for royalty payments. I'm assuming the label will be the publisher and you the writer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement