Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage rate advice

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

I am nearing the end of the first year of my mortgage with BOI. I borrowed 115k and was on a rate of 2.35% for the first year.

The bank are now offering me the following:

Variable - 3.35%
    2yr fixed - 3.75%
    3yr fixed - 4.25%
    5yr fixed - 5.00%

I was tempted to go with the variable but I'm not sure now. If not the variable would the 2yr fixed be the best option and see again after 2 years?

Any advice appreciated
    Bull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Anybody got any advice on above thread???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Im no expert but when the recovery comes rates will go high to counter inflation but this wont happen for another 3-5 years its up to your self tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vego wrote: »
    Im no expert but when the recovery comes rates will go high to counter inflation

Agree and the German economy is already showing signs of a strong recovery which carries the risks of inflation, especially with all the money that governments have pumped into the system to counter the banking crisis.
    Vego wrote: »
    but this wont happen for another 3-5 years its up to your self tbh

Disagree, it's coming sooner than you think, the head of the ECB Trichet today already starting to bang the drum for increases in interest rates.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ECB-says-ready-to-act-on-rb-2320823805.html?x=0&.v=5

OP, the banks anticipate movements in interest rates and these are reflected in the fixed rates they quote. My personal opinion is that that two-year rate won't be around for much longer and I'd go for it if I was you, it's only 0.4% above the variable rate.

I am not a qualified financial adviser so please treat this as a personal comment from a complete amateur, use this information at your own risk.

Advertisement