Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop connection prob to VF router, used to work OK

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭

A Vodafone DSL router recently decided to disable its wifi signal, but after some resets/powercycles/clicking OK its working fine again for 2 laptops running XP.
    Another laptop running Win7 [edit]: actually its Vista[ / edit], was also working OK on this router, but since the issue above, hasn't been able to connect. I deleted the profile it had saved, and let it detect it again, entered the WPA key, and it won't get a DHCP IP address.

Strangely, in the 'Connect to a network' dialog, as well as the correct "Vodafone_xxxx" SSID, it claims to see "Vodafone_xxxx-Guest", with the same signal strength. Apart from the router in question, there's only an eircom one locally. I think I had a similar problem on a Vista laptop a few months ago, but I think that was an eircom router, and deleting the profile seemed to sort it out.

Any ideas ?

[edit]
    the problem router and the mystery "Guest" SSID both appear in "Connect to a network" but are not listed in "Manage Wireless networks"

Ive just tried another VF router (a previous one from the same house), and the laptop with the problem connected automatically, as it was previously set up for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Your best bet is to do a full hard reset on that modem and try again. If wireless is working on other laptops, its quite possible that it could be an issue with the laptop itself. you could try a Winsock reset or assign a static ip on the laptop

Advertisement