Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Byrne's closing down

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Apparently Byrnes (the newsagent in Fairgreen) is shutting down.

Reason is that rent is too high in Fairgreen.

Anyone know anything else about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Haven't heard anything about it, but they did have to close alot of the shops in retail parks earlier in the year due to a combination of high rents and a down turn in business so wouldn't surprise me either if they were to close the fairgreen outlet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Was on the paper yest, has already closed afaik.High rents, apparently. it owns the Tullow st business so rent not an issue, talks of expanding that shop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

worrying for carlow town as a whole, the high rents caused byrnes to close, how many other businesses in the town will close for similar reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Did they need the shop in fairgreen? - Main products = sweets minerals, cards, small gifts and books.

Tesco & Birthdays sell the same stuff so as market drops back, someone has to suffer.

Best for Byrnes to concentrate on the sites they actually own and create a unique offering there - no landlords to beholden onto.

Maybe, just maybe they'll increase the book offering in Tullow street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

91011 wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe they'll increase the book offering in Tullow street!

There going to increase the size of it three fold according to the nationalist

In fact, it emerged that Byrne’s now have plans to expand their Tullow Street branch.
    "We are increasing the size of our bookstore by three, so we will be stocking over 20,000 titles.
    It is a sad time to be closing a store but we are excited about Tullow Street and the changes there.”

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/7557/Staff-wonder-why-as-Byrnes-shuts-up-shop.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hmm, I wonder does that mean a larger premises, I doubt it? I suspect they'll just re-jig the shop layout to provide a much bigger area for the book section by consolidating or closing the cards, stationary or toy sections.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For school books etc, Tullow Street is awkward. Jones has parking so has probably taken a larger market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Most of the toys went out of tullow street over a year ago. - The first & second floor are mainly empty. Looks like they have realised Carlow needs a decent bookshop.

They have a great history with books, so maybe Carlow will finally get the bookshop that's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I know that many staff at Fair-green were given minimal notice €1000 severance and a firm push out the door

they also promised that with the closure of the hanover park there would always be 3 stores and ALL jobs would be safe.... well that was a big fat lie

how will they make tullow street outlet bigger???

also after umpteen hair dressers and charity shops opening in callow im surprised that they hant closed down completely

also there is always ken blacks if you have a car but if not TOUGH TITTYS IM TOLD!!!!!

• Advertisement

tonyheaney wrote: »
    I know that many staff at Fair-green were given minimal notice €1000 severance and a firm push out the door

they also promised that with the closure of the hanover park there would always be 3 stores and ALL jobs would be safe.... well that was a big fat lie
    I presume this is an additional payment to their statutory redundancy entitlement. It seems meagre for staff who gave long service but unfortunately, given the current climate, there are plenty who get nothing.
    So they promised to open a new store (probably a downsized version) to replace the closed one?
    how will they make tullow street outlet bigger???
    I don't think they can physically make it bigger unless they buy out adjoining properties or relocate to bigger premises. I suspect they'll just extend the book section into other areas in the existing shop.
    also after umpteen hair dressers and charity shops opening in callow im surprised that they hant closed down completely
    Huh? what have new hair dressers and charity shops got to do with Byrne's book shops.
    also there is always ken blacks if you have a car but if not TOUGH TITTYS IM TOLD!!!!!
    Taxi?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I presume this is an additional payment to their statutory redundancy entitlement. It seems meagre for staff who gave long service but unfortunately, given the current climate, there are plenty who get nothing.
    So they promised to open a new store (probably a downsized version) to replace the closed one?

I don't think they can physically make it bigger unless they buy out adjoining properties or relocate to bigger premises. I suspect they'll just extend the book section into other areas in the existing shop.

Huh? what have new hair dressers and charity shops got to do with Byrne's book shops.

Taxi?

well many can not afford the taxi... how do i know this?? because i cant afford it. Ken should move in to town,
    as for the new hair dressers and charity shops got to do with Byrne's book shops remark what i mean there are soo many of these opening up we need shops like easons and smiths here to show how its meant to run

tonyheaney wrote: »
    well many can not afford the taxi... how do i know this?? because i cant afford it. Ken should move in to town,
    as for the new hair dressers and charity shops got to do with Byrne's book shops remark what i mean there are soo many of these opening up we need shops like easons and smiths here to show how its meant to run

Ken Black's were previously at Kennedy Ave, near the Barrack St junction but moved out to their present location a few years ago (4-5??).
    I appreciate it can be difficult to get to outlying areas without a vehicle but businesses generally locate where they can maximise profit. Outlying sites also provide better access (incl. parking) which is convenient and attractive for the majority of customers who do have a car.

Eason's aren't a great example, they had a branch on Tullow St. before Byrne's arrived and still never developed it into a proper bookshop even when Paul's closed through retirement. They then closed down 2 yrs ago.

I see what you mean about the hair dressers & charity shops, I would include take-aways and bookies in that list too :D but there's obviously a market for them if they're still trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

Agree that carlow needs a proper well stocked bookshop pronto. All a bit soulless without it (the shopping experience).

Crimbouser wrote: »
    Agree that carlow needs a proper well stocked bookshop pronto. All a bit soulless without it (the shopping experience).

The I.T Carlow and St Pats, umpteen schools and education facility's in Carlow and all we have is Byrnes?? who cant even keep their wor and lie about there always being three shops in Carlow now they hardly have one....

I bet if you opened a well stocked book store in Carlow you would make a bloody mint

word to the wise on the back of med bar there is a littler known book store that is FAR better stocked and they even buy your books back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

College street books.

Yup, far better than Byrnes.
    The woman who appears to own it and all of the staff in there know their stuff which is the most important thing for me really.
    Really nice people too.

pass on the word lets get her shop promoted so she my decided to expand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Books..

If you haven't been into it yet..

The new Sue Ryder Charity Shop on Dublin Street has a huge section for books.

Paperbacks €1 or €2
    and the most expensive book (A4 hardback) being only about €5..

I got about 15 great books there the last time I was in.

:)

foxinsox wrote: »
    Books..

If you haven't been into it yet..

The new Sue Ryder Charity Shop on Dublin Street has a huge section for books.

Paperbacks €1 or €2
    and the most expensive book (A4 hardback) being only about €5..

I got about 15 great books there the last time I was in.

:)

I have a Sony E-Book

Advertisement