Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonisphere Ireland?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭

So this year there will be 12 sonisphere festivals around Europe. will we get a Sonisphere Ireland? Or is there just not a big enough audience? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Could see maybe a gig in Marlay Park possibly with the big 4 . Would love if we got one but id say it would have been announced by now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Maybe next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Could see maybe a gig in Marlay Park possibly with the big 4 . Would love if we got one but id say it would have been announced by now

Oh i didn't mean this year. Say in the next three years. I'm sure it would be a one day thing, for the first year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

No way, not nearly enough demand.

And why would they bother paying The Big 4 to sell out Marlay Park when they can do that with Metallica anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

With the first Sonisphere they brought over Metallica, AIC, AX7 and Mastodon over. I have no idea of crowd sizes but I thought this didnt sell as well as expected?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Nea wrote: »
    With the first Sonisphere they brought over Metallica, AIC, AX7 and Mastodon over. I have no idea of crowd sizes but I thought this didnt sell as well as expected?

Yea i heard that but i think the reason was also that Metallica had played the same venue a year before that

It wasn't exactly packed alright, but it was put down as just a Metallica gig, who play here a lot really. and nobody was sure who support was as so many bands pulled out.

I enjoyed that gig mainly for AIC and I hadnt bothered to go the year before to see Metallica so enjoyed them too but there did seem to be a smaller crowd than what I experienced at Marley Park previously.

I was personally hoping the Big4 would do Marley Park the day after the UK but I think they are in France that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

They tried to do that with Download, and crapped up spectacularly, they tried to turn two separate concerts into a festival type environment and just ****ed it over

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

i would actually rather travel to a metal festival, than to have it here, it would would just end up over priced, sh1tty beer etc etc.etc. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

They tried to do that with Download, and crapped up spectacularly, they tried to turn two separate concerts into a festival type environment and just ****ed it over

They didnt make the greatest go of it the one time they brought ozfest over either

c - 13 wrote: »
    They didnt make the greatest go of it the one time they brought ozfest over either

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that

I never went to Sunstroke, I was too young, did they perhaps get that right back in the day?

Having said that, if the Big Four did headline an Irish Sonisphere....then yes, I would attend

I never went to Sunstroke, I was too young, did they perhaps get that right back in the day?

Sunstroke in Dalymount was quite cool,I remember being impressed with the merch stalls, I also got quite drunk and thought getting my nose pierced with a piercing gun for 2 quid was a great idea, it wasnt when I sobered up that evening. Remember really enjoying Helmet

Sunstroke in the RDS was very disappointing, in fairness indoor RDS is a cowshed of the highest order. I remember the crushing disappointment of finally seeing Soundgarden and them looking bored out of their minds, how deadly White Zombie were and how bloody hot it was in that cowshed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sunstroke in Dalymount was quite cool,I remember being impressed with the merch stalls, I also got quite drunk and thought getting my nose pierced with a piercing gun for 2 quid was a great idea, it wasnt when I sobered up that evening. Remember really enjoying Helmet

Sunstroke in the RDS was very disappointing, in fairness indoor RDS is a cowshed of the highest order. I remember the crushing disappointment of finally seeing Soundgarden and them looking bored out of their minds, how deadly White Zombie were and how bloody hot it was in that cowshed

All of this !!!!!!!!!!!

I was maybe 15 at the time , white zombie were unbelievable that day and soundgarden to this day still the worst act i've seen live.

Edit: Helmet in sunstroke 94 still has my ears ringing , and Ice cube was ace that day too as were therapy?.

Anyway back on topic., they didn't actually call that gig in marlay pk Sonisphere did they ????? I don;t remember them doing so even though it was the same line up / tour. I just don;t think the Sonisphere "brand" has any kind of pull here like it does in other places or in places such as bulgaria where if you announce any kind of international metal genre act it will sell out and fast.

calex71 wrote: »
    they didn't actually call that gig in marlay pk Sonisphere did they ????? I don;t remember them doing so even though it was the same line up / tour.

No, according to posters here and abroad (online and whatnot) there was no mention of that being Sonisphere in any description

The only thing I remember ever being called something different, asides from "Download Ireland" which they sold T Shirt's for and even set up a website for - that's how I found out Korn had dropped out on the morning of the gig was Metallica with Linkin Park and The Darkness in 2003

I wish I still had my pit pass to that, because I remember distinctively it having some connection with Carling (who sponsor, or sponsored Leeds and Reading) and all three band's (Metallica, Linkin Park, Darkness) and saying something like "Irish Carling Weekender" and they had these girls in the line giving out flyers that promoted it like a mini Reading...I do remember the obvious connection to the fact these band's would be playing at Reading on the Main Stage the following day was there....

There's a bootleg of the 2003 gig from 2FM, and I think on the original broadcast they mentioned this being the "Irish weekender" and they wanted to bring it back in 2004 as a festival...but it never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Last year I was thinking that bringing a Sonisphere event over to Ireland makes sense since we currently don't have a purely big-scale rock/metal festival. An Irish event however would be more feasible to coincide with a UK Sonisphere and now that the Knebworth event has been moved to the same weekend as Oxegen, a similar event here is perhaps less likely. Saying that, the fact the organisers continue to expand the festival to other countries, it's not entirely impossible that we'll see a Sonisphere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I was at both gigs of "Download Ireland" (Metallica and Guns n Roses) the Metallica gig was originally billed as "Reading Ireland" then it just changed, there was no festival atmosphere at all! (coz it wasnt a festival :p )

I hate Marlay Park now but for the big 4 i would be there!

Last year I was thinking that bringing a Sonisphere event over to Ireland makes sense since we currently don't have a purely big-scale rock/metal festival. An Irish event however would be more feasible to coincide with a UK Sonisphere and now that the Knebworth event has been moved to the same weekend as Oxegen, a similar event here is perhaps less likely. Saying that, the fact the organisers continue to expand the festival to other countries, it's not entirely impossible that we'll see a Sonisphere in Ireland.

Yeah well i'm assuming switzerland is the smallest one, they have a population of like 8million? (I could be so, so wrong there.) So perhaps in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yeah well i'm assuming switzerland is the smallest one, they have a population of like 8million? (I could be so, so wrong there.) So perhaps in a couple of years.

But Switzerland is also within very close driving range of Southern Germany, Austria, Northern Italy and Eastern France

Population
    - 2009 estimate 7,785,600
    - 2007 census 7,593,500

The country is situated in Western Europe where it is bordered by Germany to the north, France to the west, Italy to the south, and Austria and Liechtenstein to the east.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tommy666

im going to sonisphere uk this year line up is great i went last year was awesome check out this years line up

http://team.sonispherefestivals.com/s.php?t=10&m=235

Advertisement