Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

focus battery light stays on

• 05-01-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

hi guys.
    99 focus 1.6 petrol.
    the battery light comes on after i start it and stays on.
    checked the battery on my meter and its reading over 13 volts.
    i also checked the alternator and its reading over 13 volts.
    i put in a new alternator to see would this solve the problem and no joy.
    heard a clicking noise coming from the main fuse board behind the clove box and it turned out to be a relay switch that was labelled in the handbook as being a battery saver relay switch.
    changed that and the light is still on:confused::confused:
    ive read various things on the web about similar probs but nothing is exactly like mine it seems.
    battery is overcharging perhaps ?

anybody got any suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Was it a new alternator or a second hand one? Your battery and alternator should be reading over 14v in normal operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭emmbaasee

Was it a new alternator or a second hand one? Your battery and alternator should be reading over 14v in normal operation.
    it was a 2nd hand alternator

I had a feeling, ford alternators regularly give trouble so chances are the second hand one has issues too.

I had a feeling, ford alternators regularly give trouble so chances are the second hand one has issues too.
    do you think a new one is the way to go ? new batt also ?
    i hate throwing good money after bad.
    i was thinking of getting a 2nd hand ecu and seeing would that get rid of the light ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

emmbaasee wrote: »
    i was thinking of getting a 2nd hand ecu and seeing would that get rid of the light ..

The ECU wont change the voltage reading you are getting from both the alternator or the battery.

My friend went through x2 alternators on his 05 Focus. The seem to be terrible.

• Advertisement

Changing the ecu because of a battery light would be throwing a lot of good money away for no reason!

You could have your alternator rebuilt by an auto electrician, this would be the cheapest option but you need to get the charging system checked properly to be sure of the problem.

can anybody tell me is the voltage regulator within the altenator or where can i find it ?
    this is another theory i have that might be causing the light to come on.

can anybody tell me is the voltage regulator within the altenator or where can i find it ?
    this is another theory i have that might be causing the light to come on.

Yup its part of the alternator..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

hi guys.
    99 focus 1.6 petrol.
    heard a clicking noise coming from the main fuse board behind the clove box and it turned out to be a relay switch that was labelled in the handbook as being a battery saver relay switch.
    ive read various things on the web about similar probs but nothing is exactly like mine it seems.

thanks

Do focus's generally produce over 14 volts from the alternator? I would have thought that the voltage in the OPs would be ok.I thought ford use some kind of a smart type charging systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Before you do anything wild, check if the car is actually charging. With engine off, battery voltage should be about 11.5-12V. When running, voltage should rise by about 2 volts, ie 13.5V - 14.5V.

Are any of the other warning lights or gauges acting funny on the dash ? The instrument cluster is prone to problems on these. Leakage on the back of the pcb due to corrosion can cause false warning lights, jumpy gauges, etc. Cleaning PCB usually fixes (no parts needed).

• Advertisement

jimmyw wrote: »

Do focus's generally produce over 14 volts from the alternator? I would have thought that the voltage in the OPs would be ok.I thought ford use some kind of a smart type charging systems.
    not sure about the 14 volts thing but i would have thought that a little over 13 would of been enough.
    I really dont think its the alternator or batt but i just cant be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yup its part of the alternator..

Im not sure with the focus. It has a smart charge system and a freewheel clutch on the alternator. I think the ECU controls the voltage in normal operation, but there may be a backup on the alternator.

I doubt fitting a new ECU will solve anything though.

lifer_sean wrote: »
    Before you do anything wild, check if the car is actually charging. With engine off, battery voltage should be about 11.5-12V. When running, voltage should rise by about 2 volts, ie 13.5V - 14.5V.

Are any of the other warning lights or gauges acting funny on the dash ? The instrument cluster is prone to problems on these. Leakage on the back of the pcb due to corrosion can cause false warning lights, jumpy gauges, etc. Cleaning PCB usually fixes (no parts needed).
    battery is reading 11.9v with engine off and 13.4/6 while running.
    no other lights on the dash are acting funny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

battery is reading 11.9v with engine off and 13.4/6 while running

Still not high enough. Batteries are under huge performance pressure in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

hi guys.
    99 focus 1.6 petrol.

Its not always the alternator, the battery can cause the light to come on as well.
    thanks

I'd replace the battery anyway and see how you get on.

Still not high enough. Batteries are under huge performance pressure in winter.

I agree.The above voltage is not enough to even start the car.Maybe the smart charging is detecting a fault in the battery and given the warning.I dont really know much about that smart charging setup though.

Sorry. Battery is reading 12.9volts when off.
    im after hooking the car up to my wifes battery and the light has come back on.
    Just to confirm.The car has started no problem with my battery in it.Even on the really cold days of the recent past.
    Still think its some how related to the ecu.
    And no, i wont be buying a new ecu, but have not ruled out getting one from a breakers...

Really dont think its the battery but its on the list of things to replace.
    Cant bring myself to buy a new battery when i dont think its the problem:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

These alternators are part of a smart charge system involving the engine ecu (pcm).

The alternator is capable of functioning as a normal charge system if there is no signal from the ecu (for example diconnecting the 3 pin plug)

Before replacing any more parts it would be advisable to have codes read from the ecu.

A broken wire runnning to the alternator could cause your fault.

[QUOTE=
    ]emmbaasee;69888861]Sorry. Battery is reading 12.9volts when off.
    im[/COLOR] after hooking the car up to my
    wifes
    battery and the light has come back on.
    Just to confirm.The car has started no problem with my battery in it.Even on the really cold days of the recent past.
    Still think its some how related to the ecu.
    And no, i wont be buying a new ecu, but have not ruled out getting one from a breakers...[/QUOTE]

Well if its reading that when off, that is plenty of juice there to start. But when did you check that?If you check it just after she runs, you could be getting a false reading.Leave it for about 5-10 minutes. As you say if its at that then it is doubtful that it is the battery.Alternator could possibly dodgy.The link may help too.

http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/ford_focus_alternator_smart_charging.htm

• Advertisement

crosshair1 wrote: »
    These alternators are part of a smart charge system involving the engine ecu (pcm).

The alternator is capable of functioning as a normal charge system if there is no signal from the ecu (for example diconnecting the 3 pin plug)

Before replacing any more parts it would be advisable to have codes read from the ecu.

A broken wire runnning to the alternator could cause your fault.
    After a lot of testing and re-testing and, i've come to the conclusion that your right.
    I plugged out the 3 pin plug and im going to leave it at that. The light is still on but the car is running fine.
    It's the ecu. I have no doubt.
    Thanks for the help guys

After a lot of testing and re-testing and, i've come to the conclusion that your right.
    I plugged out the 3 pin plug and im going to leave it at that. The light is still on but the car is running fine.
    It's the ecu. I have no doubt.
    Thanks for the help guys

Make sure you check the wires from the 3 pin connector, Its common for the ecu signal wire to break too..

Advertisement