Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Galway hotel?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Supervalue Breaks have a great deal at the moment, €55 per person for two nights B&B. I am looking to book a girly weekend in Galway for me and my sisters using this deal. The three hotels on offer are the Carlton, The Menlo Park and the Clayton. I have pretty much ruled out the Carlton due to the reviews and Pics on Trip Advisor. Which of the other two would people recommend? I know they are both a little outside the city, but I don't mind that. We will basically be looking for a comfortable base for shopping, eating and drinking! Which should I go for? TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The Clayton is a nicer hotel in my opinion but it is very far from town. Menlo is also pretty far from town but not quite as far...

I'd still go with The Clayton but that's just me. You bringing a partner?

EDIT: Sorry girly weekend, If you aren't spending much time in the hotel, does it really matter? The Clayton is still nicer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The Clayton for the luxury. It's only ten minutes in a taxi to the city center.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

hondasam wrote: »
    The Clayton for the luxury. It's only ten minutes in a taxi to the city center.

Traffic dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Clayton; nice spot, and a nicer bar if you want to have a few drinks in the hotel.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Traffic dependent.

even at the busiest time it will not take anymore than thirty minutes. The girls are on a weekend away and will probably be needing a taxi at night. not much traffic then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

G Hotel doing a special 59 per person per night b&b and it's closer to town.
    It is way nicer than the cistron and perfect fir girls with the pink rooms and little luxuries.

ncmc wrote: »
    Supervalue Breaks have a great deal at the moment, €55 per person for two nights B&B. I am looking to book a girly weekend in Galway for me and my sisters using this deal. The three hotels on offer are the Carlton, The Menlo Park and the Clayton. I have pretty much ruled out the Carlton due to the reviews and Pics on Trip Advisor. Which of the other two would people recommend? I know they are both a little outside the city, but I don't mind that. We will basically be looking for a comfortable base for shopping, eating and drinking! Which should I go for? TIA!

Just to let you know The clayton is only 3km from eyre square/city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for all the prompt replies, I think we will go with the Clayton as recommended. Also I see it has a pool and a steam room/sauna so that seals the deal.

I don't mind that it's a few km's outside town, at least it offers free parking (we will have two cars) and there will be three of us, so taxi's shouldn't be too prohibitively expensive.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the prompt replies, I think we will go with the Clayton as recommended. Also I see it has a pool and a steam room/sauna so that seals the deal.

I don't mind that it's a few km's outside town, at least it offers free parking (we will have two cars) and there will be three of us, so taxi's shouldn't be too prohibitively expensive.

Thanks again!

let us know what you thought of it. enjoy galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

While it is outside town, the number 9 bus passes very close to the Clayton (literally a one minute walk to the bus stop from the hotel).

It goes every 15 minutes until 7pm, and every 30 minutes after that and you're in town very quickly as it's bus lanes the whole way.

If you're ordering a taxi, I usually use pro-cabs which is a fixed price service. It's ten euro into town which is grand between three people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Thanks again!
    If you're driving there (presuming you're coming from the East side) the Clayton will be handy because it's literally just off the motorway so it'll be easy to find and you won't get caught in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

beagle001 wrote: »
    G Hotel doing a special 59 per person per night b&b and it's closer to town.
    It is way nicer than the cistron and perfect fir girls with the pink rooms and little luxuries.

I looked at their website just there and I can't see that offer...could you post or pm a link? I'm from Galway, but a good few of my friends would love that offer!

Advertisement