Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanking!

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So ive been toying with the idea of tanking with an alt,i have dps and healing covered with some toons.
    My choices are lvl 80 Dk,lvl 80 Druid,40 Pala and 50 Warrior.
    Ive been messing about on the pala and warrior as i like having a shield while tanking :P
    Pala seems easier to hold aggro compared to the warrior or am i doing it wrong ?, does this change @ 85?

I tanked on my Dk alt in WOTLK but didnt enjoy it that much, ive never specced tank on my druid somethign i plan to do over the coming weekend.
    Im enjoying both the pala and warrior atm therefore am undecided on whether to lvl one of them up or maybe the Dk or Druid.

Thoughts appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Well i got my druid up to level 82 and then started healing normals so I could learn the differences in healing (i know it will be even more different in HCs & Raids, but hey better learning early).

As i plan on just using him as an alt when needed, im probably going to level 84-85 purely tanking instances, so i can learn again how to do this (Tanked with him from 50-80, oh so many moons ago... :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm in a similar boat. Have a lvl40 Druid, lvl52 Warrior, and a lvl80 Paladin, and i was thinking of levelling one of them in instances. Think i'll stick with the Druid tbh, if only just for the different forms. I've wanted flight form for ages now. Plus, i have loads of gold on the server with the Druid, so i can get epic flying straight away.

From what little i've heard, Paladin tanking is easiest at lvl85 at the moment. Not 100% sure on that, just what i've read in my few visits to MMO Champion. I tend to find groups with Pally tanks easier as well...at least my last few pugs have been easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

When healing I find the dungeon loaading screen to be one of the most stressful periods of the game - only matched by seeing that the Tank is
    a DK.

Whenever, I see that the tank is a pally. I squeal with glee and thank
    the RNG for delaying my breakdown for another day.

No real experience tanking but loads healing doing PUGs and my experience would say pally power ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

My guildmates and I are rotating tanking duties at the moment. I have a paladin, and they have a druid and a warrior. The druid seems to be having the most trouble adjusting to Cata mechanics, with Swipe having a cooldown now. As long as the dps hit the marked mob and let the tank get some aggro on it before they nuke we haven't had any issues with any tank.

We're still working on gearing guildmates for heroics, so are running normal instances. We've done a few heroics and the healers have had some... interesting... times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Paladin tanks are awesome to heal, they can heal themselves loads

• Advertisement

noworries wrote: »
    When healing I find the dungeon loaading screen to be one of the most stressful periods of the game - only matched by seeing that the Tank is
    a DK.

Normal or HC? Got two DK tanks in a row the other day, and both were 81. Everyone else was 83+ and they did fine. That was in StoneCore and Blackrock Caverns tho....
    F00t13f4n wrote: »
    We're still working on gearing guildmates for heroics, so are running normal instances. We've done a few heroics and the healers have had some... interesting... times!

When we started on the heroics, we had a Pala tank, and a shaman healer. Shammy was OOM every fight, way to early. When he coped on and started keeping his mana, he did much better.

Bit of gear later and they are pretty much easy as pie again (no need for CC really anymore) once you get to 345+ ilvl

Gonna try some raiding tonight, and she how she goes. (Probably going to do the first few bosses of Blackwing Descent. Or rather spend a few hours wiping on the first one :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,472 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Paladins are pretty awesome tanks. Were in Wrath, are now. After holding aggro there are lots of options open to you, namely keeping the rest of the raid up, instead of using Shield Bash you can cast a heal on raid members or yourself to mitigate healer ooming, during a DPS race you have all of the tools to deal some dmg and maintain threat, and when the healer ooms or is preparing to oom there are lots of cooldowns to be had, including the rather handy ability to restore all of your health in a pinch (or that of another player) As well as bubble yourself or another player, and directly absorb damage from allies, or survive an otherwise killing blow (like Algalon's supernova) using Ardent Defender. Right now that all adds up to a lot more forgiveness for healers, which have been feeling a lot of hurt the last few weeks trying to get a grip on their new reality.

Im looking forward to trying out the Druid Tanking though. The ability of Savage Defense [every crit gives you 50% chance of the next strike to be reduced by 35% of your attack power], Savage Defender [Increase SD by 32%, and by 4% more per point of mastery]. and Vengenance [5% of damage taken becomes AP up to 10% of health]

So example. (No clue how wild these numbers are - just guessing)

With 150K Health, 20K AP, vengeance will give an extra base 15k AP, so already at 35K AP, so you are absorbing 122250 Damage, before you even account for mastery.

so with 5 points of mastery, thats a damage absorb of 87%, or in the case of the stats above, you are absorbing 30.45K of damage.

Ok granted its only 50% chance per crit, but thats a helluva lot of shielding.

Thats what i understand anyways. I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The most fun that I have ever had was tanking as a troll warrior. Loved it! Unlike a pally it actually feels like you are taking hits and being active (yes I have a warrior tank and a pally tank) in fact sometimes warrior tanking can be a bit stressful I find that you have more to watch out for although this means that you really feel like its you having the epic fight with the boss.

I haven't been subbed since before cata so my experience may be out-dated.

I did spend quite a lot of time converting my Retadin to Prot and being bored senseless by how tanking was pretty much down to me mashing a tanking macro (One button) and, god forbid a DPS acts the maggot, having to target the player/mob and use an appropriate taunt.
    Which macro was this?

I was never a religious adherent of 9696, it just served as a starting point and something to do if i needed to devote brainpower to the encounter. the rest of the time i was prioritizing buttons on what was most effective at the time, not what was going to prevent me from a 1.5 second "deadzone" 20 seconds later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Thing with DK's is that there are so many of them as it's quiet easily the quickest alt to get to max level, that and they get instant dungeons as a tank so many would choose that role rather than wait 30+ minutes as a dps.
    A proper tank geared, gem'd, enchanted and played DK though is a delight to do a dungeon with and easy to keep alive as a healer.

Thing with Druids, you can more or less get away tanking heroics in just your feral gear and the points you'd probably spend in the feral tree anyway as the alternatives are piss poor - which is a little unfair on other tanking classes who have to specifically gear and spec tank for it.

When healing in pug heroics, I'd rate Pally, Druid, DK and Warrior as my preference to have as a tank. To me Warriors just seem pretty poor tanks in Cata, but maybe that's just my experience with them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

tanking on a warrior used to be sooo easy... its a little harder now but also more fun!

Rend > thunderclap > cleave > revenge > revenge > revenge !! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks for replies lads.
    I decided to go with the paladin after messing about with both the pala and warrior.
    While i enjoyed the warrior the pala seems to have it all.
    The amount of times i self healed from near death is crazy, id be dead on a warrior.
    The last few days ive been farming randoms and almost every time top dps while tanking.
    Ive been a healer since day one and as you guys say paladins always felt the easiest to heal to me,now i can see why.
    Also i thought 60 seconds was fast for randoms on my holy priest, lol im getting almost instant randoms as tankadin.

Yeah we had to have warriors go into Yogg Saron's Mind and, they did not like it in there. If I had been DPS for those runs I don't think we would have had the same issues, but he had no prot spec so I could not. Co-ordinating the healing right took a long time with all the debuffs going on.

9696 referred to cooldown times. ie. Hammer (6) > Consecrate (9) > Judgement (6) Shield Bash (9) > Hammer (6) > etc. or something like that. It was kinda boring. I prefer to shake it up.

Tank Queues are stupid-fast. Sometimes you won't even be sure you've clicked the Enter Queue button, you'll just have a Dungeon popup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

DRakE wrote: »

compared to a DK tank? :)

Columc wrote: »
    compared to a DK tank? :)
    I dunno about that, but I can also heal allies ;) a fine thing when your top DPS stands in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was trying to avoid tanking this time around and just pvp on my druid but the queues on bladefist take 30+ minuets to get a game. sigh back to tanking more gearing up 141k hp in my pvp gear i wonder if i could get away with tanking normals in pvp gear hmm

Overheal wrote: »
    when your top DPS stands in something.

Thats why they brought in Leap of faith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Tryin the druid myself this time. Got it and hunter up prity late in WOTLK so decided get them levelled up first after my main.

Anyhow's, seem to have inital threat problems with the druid when started but ain't so bad now. Seems can more or less forget about hit/expertise atm from what i've read. Was gemmin hit to get 8% but was wasted :( Tried gemmin agility but seems stamina is best. Anyhows seem to be ok now for most hc's on it now.

Have seen a few DK's more or less survive a whipe while everyone else(healer included) can run in while they're still goin there. So thinkin about levelling it next tbh. Dunno if can be bothered gettin loads to 85 now though as well, raids do seem more of a challenge now and aint got as many pugs attemptin runs like wotlk.

Berns wrote: »
    Have seen a few DK's more or less survive a whipe while everyone else(healer included) can run in while they're still goin there.

Have happened to me on a few times, its on bosses that doe more group damage then single target damage, in which it is easily healed through from the tank. bosses such as Rahj(HoO), Samut(VP), rock giant in stonecore, dragon in VP, Not sure if it happened on any other heroics.

I can see why they are nerfing death strike for DKs constantly, moving from 35% prior to beta to 25% in 4.0.3 and now from 25% to 15% in 4.0.6.

I have 35% avoidance so far on the DK with 175k HP. I can heal myself for a good 17k most hits, my mastery is currently at 135% which is roughly 25k health absorbed. which is just under 40k health. and then add in all my other CDs if used correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

DRakE wrote: »

I Have played three tanks since this games started DK Druid and warrior in cata i am mainly tanking and healing on my druid , i have read though th at DK are the best tank at high end raid content due to them being able to heal them selfs so much .

One thing i have seen though is the amount of druids just mainly stacking sta again like in wolk compared to agi . anyway tanking as a druid is still fun more so then WOLK tanking on DK again still fairly easy , warrior i need to level , paladins seem to take more damage then i druids i think when i am healing or dpsing in the same groups . But all in all i love tanking in Cata it is hard but allot of fun , but pugging has gone to a all new level is ****tness , too many people still think they can just nuke there way though pack of adds.

One thing that annoys me though is the fact Druids health got nerfed so much that we are now one of the lowest compared to other tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

If i were you id go for the DK or warrior before the pala or druid.

I've only a 50 war, but i have the other 3 at 80/85 and i tanked with them all. With the muck they've done to the pala id say DK tanking would be the most fun. Warriors just bore the pants off me fullstop, and theres good AOE with DK's.

down to personal preference tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

red_ice wrote: »
    If i were you id go for the DK or warrior before the pala or druid.

I've only a 50 war, but i have the other 3 at 80/85 and i tanked with them all. With the muck they've done to the pala id say DK tanking would be the most fun. Warriors just bore the pants off me fullstop, and theres good AOE with DK's.

down to personal preference tho.

I loved DK but after the change i found the waiting for runes is a bit slow but will level him to 85 and see how goes i really like druid though never played paladin as found it boring as hell . Warrior is fun and i hate leveling it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Can't say I have experience in any of the other tanks above about lvl 65, but I love my paladin tanking.

The one thing about it though, from hearing so many people talking about paladin tanks facerolling, is that when faced with certain content, you can tell the good ones from the bad ones.

Oh, and if you're decent at it, no aspect is a problem. OP class.

Coming into Cata the emphasis was to push away from group pulls and focus on CC. After seeing so many people who couldn't CC to save their lives, I realised "If you want it done, do it yourself". So now i'm back to pushing healers into fits chain pulling dungeons. If the healer goes down from standing in something he shouldn't have, the uptime is still great, and usually I can finish the trash pack/boss on my own. Even with a WoG build, threat isn't a problem.

The increase in interrupts for paladin tanks is brilliant too. I heard we're getting Rebuke on all builds, but tbh if you use them right, you have a nicely timed set of interrupts at your disposal.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;70022023']nice pally tank info.

I levelled my paladin recently, as prot, from lvl81 as I wanted to get a feel
    for the tanking style and rotation. I focused entirely on quests and now
    am in a position that I am 85 and have never tanked an instance. :eek:
    I suppose not ever tanked I was nervous of the LFD tool and causing wipes. etc.

I want to learn to tank though.

Can anyone give me a link that would give me a walkthrough on the new
    instances from a tanks perspective i.e what to mark, timing of pulls etc.

I have been a healer/dps up to now and that aspect of the game(marking , pulling, basically leading the dungeon group) is something I have never contemplated before. But it is something that I always wished I did.

As a healer, I guess I understand alot about the damage that is done to everyone and how/when to smooth it out, but as
    that side of the game can be pretty intense, I never really bothered/had time to learn the fight/encounter mechanics.

Looking for suggestions please on where to start? I really don't want to just hop in to a random normal as I know and
    feel the pain when an 'OMG facking noob tank' is in front of a group after waiting 45 in queue>?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

This is generally considered the place to go for pally tanking info:
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/
    Some good videos on YT too e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFywn8m6ZY
    Then I'd say if you know a healer and a few dps (maybe some friendly guild members) try a few practice runs on normal cata dungeons or even normal/heroic WOTLK dungeons, because even after reading hundreds of things on tanking, nothing will beat practice.

Liking the look of maintankadin..
    and it's not blocked in work ;-)

thanks

noworries wrote: »
    Looking for suggestions please on where to start? I really don't want to just hop in to a random normal as I know and
    feel the pain when an 'OMG facking noob tank' is in front of a group after waiting 45 in queue>?

If its normals, i wouldnt worry about it. I would explain to peeps you are just learning to tank.

Worse case scenario they kick you, and they get a new tank in a few minutes.

However most people will be understanding (or so ive seen so far meself....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Well there are a few simple things to tanking dungeons, or anything for that matter.

Multiple mobs - You look at ranged first (Not always just casters, but hunter type mobs). You want to take healers out of the equation quickly. If there's 1 healer, you can either CC or burn them down. If there are 2, it's normally better to CC one and burn the other, so at least if 1 breaks free, you have minimal heals. What tends to work well in some groups is if you have a priest dps, mind controlling a healer mob can help backup heals to your group, but usually they have other attacks as well.

If you have to deal with multiple ranged or casters, you have a few options. You can line of sight pull - find a solid obstacle that you can taunt them and run behind that they can't cast through. This forces them to move towards you and helps group them up. The reason for this being it's easier to silence, AOE, and control them. The last thing you want as a tank is to have ranged mobs spread out, as without constant threat on them they can decide to target healers. You also have some idiots who attack the ones at ranged, and even more idiotic if they're melee who run out to attack ranged.

For paladin tanks you have avenging shield as a nice silence attack that both tags the mobs and silences their casting for a few seconds. You can also use this if you group up mobs and there are ones who stray behind casting randomly. Note that unless they are prone to switching from ranged to melee, some ranged non casters won't be affected by this - they'll just stand still. If you can get within melee range of these hunter type mobs, they usually switch to melee and hit for less. If you glyph for more dmg from the shield you will only hit 1 target, but if you don't, or if you're a blood elf using Arcane Torrent, you can silence multiple casters and use this to group them or move them in the direction you want (if line of sight isn't an option).

For melee mobs always be aware that they may cleave. For that reason, you want to try to face them away from the rest of the group (and to force melee in your group to attack from behind, thus ignoring mob parry/block (over 0.5 yards), and upping their DPS). Another thing on the note of melee is that you don't want to let them get behind you. A lot of tanks simply run in, pick a mob up with an AOE attack, and face 1 or 2 out of 3 or 4. You can't block dodge or parry a mob or a player from behind, you can only miss (5% max in Cata). So letting mobs get behind you increases the amount of incoming damage. To avoid this you can learn to strafe your toon so that you always have mobs infront of you. Simple left and right should keep them infront of you in a mini kite, or you can move in a circle if you need more room. The more mobs you have, the more you need to move as they don't all group together on 1 spot.

Focusing on casters a general rule of thumb is that the longer the cast time from a mob, the more important it is to interrupt it. As a paladin tank you can interrupt with your avenger's shield, your hammer of justice, or in the case of undead and demons (also Dragonkin & Elementals if glyphed) holy wrath. You can silence with Avernger's shield, hammer of justice, again holy wrath, or arcane torrent. If you're really stuck everything waiting to come off CD to interrupt, try Arcane Torrent anyway - maybe the flashing lights will put the mob off ;)

A lot of people look at add ons like Recount as a means only for check heals per second and damage per second, but I got great use out of it when I first set foot in Cata heroics for checking damage taken. This will show you a few things - 1) What mob or grouping of mobs is hitting you the hardest 2) What they're hitting you with, 3) If anyone else in the group is taking large amounts of damage.

When you check what's hitting you the hardest and what it's hitting with, you can find out if it's something you can mitigate. If for example it's fire/frost/shadow etc damage, you can make sure at least 1 person in the group is using some form of resistance buff. Shamans are great for this at the moment, but in a tight squeeze, if you find you're taking more elemental damage than melee damage, you can switch your own auro from devotion to resistance aura. The thing to watch out for as well though is that these big hits might be coming from something that's interruptable, or avoidable eg. Don't stand in the fire, or stop that 3s cast the mob's doing.

If you are mitigating the damage as much as possible and you still see 1 mob type, or grouping of mobs is doing more damage than the others, then after the 'take out the healer' rule, you can use this information to work out your kill order. Also for group wide damage, you can see who isn't getting out of the fire etc.

If you're still getting used to dungeon tanking, and you can't avert your concentration to recount during a fight, then at least you can use it after a wipe to look back and see what happened. Also you can check the DEATHS list and see what the healing or damage was to you in the last few seconds of the fight, and if the healer decided that against some big hits, renew and prayer of mending was all he felt he needed to cast.

Work out what works best for your needs in dungeons! There are a few ways to go with builds. You can go for a self healing build, a pure single target threat/dps build, aoe threat/dps, or a mixture of all of the above. Your gear will have a large effect on this, and also who you play with. If you run with a good healer, you might get away without self heals, as you already have the self healing from your judgement, and seal of insight. The seals are up to how you're getting on. Threat problems but surviving, use Seal of Truth. No threat problems but you're dropping all the time, seal of insight.

It's also good to note at this point that given current available gear, and without procs, the paladin tank hit table doesn't have a full hit pushed off it. You need 102.4% avoidance (miss 5% + dodge% + parry% + block%) so that you don't get HIT. Right now you're looking at about 85% max if you gear right, and you lose other stats (threat/stamina) to do that. For that reason you should always expect that you may get hit at least once for more than you were expecting. This is when you need to use your cooldowns. They're shorter than they were in Wrath, and you have more, but they do less damage reduction. You can chain them together to help with boss fights where you know you'll take a lot of damage all at once, but you can use them more than you might have before. If you find your health is dropping unexpectedly, and the rest of the group is also down, it might be an idea to pop a cooldown to help the healers out a bit. The only time not to do this is if you know you need to save it for a bigger hit to come.

In most PUGs you'll expect to get at least 1 muppet who'll cause you more stress or waste healers mana. For that reason I run with a WoG (Word of Glory) build (Check elitist jerks paladin tanking for builds), which i've found helps nicely in raids as well. It's also great for those times when the healer doesn't get out of the fire, and you have to heal yourself till the rest of the dps take out the trash/boss, or if you have to do it yourself.

Which type of attacks to use comes into it for groups. The normal rule for trash mobs is that attacking less than 4, it's not as efficient to AOE (not always the case, but mostly), so dps will often single target mobs down. You will still need to keep threat on all of them though. Concecration I would suggest pushing to the back of your rotation as much as possible - it's a long CD, uses about half your mana pool, and is worthless if you can't keep the mobs standing in one spot. If you're going to be up against a lot of groups, I recommend not glyphing for single target avenger's shield. Also use Hammer of the Righteous, grouped with Inquisition. If you're taking a lot of damage, can hold threat without inquisition, and have the WoG build, using your avenger's shield with hammer of the righteous and holy wrath, should be enough.

What I would recommend is binding a button to this macro...

SetRaidTarget(“unit“, iconId);
    iconId
    Number – Icon id from 0 to 8:
    0 = no icon
    1 = Yellow 4-point Star
    2 = Orange Circle
    3 = Purple Diamond
    4 = Green Triangle
    5 = White Crescent Moon
    6 = Blue Square
    7 = Red “X” Cross
    8 = White Skull

Usually the Skull is the only one you need to have bound, and use it to identify (on multiple targets where dps single target attack), which one you want to kill first. This also helps where you can keep threat on multiple targets by using your shield/wrath/hammer, but whilst focusing your main attention on the one you've marked with a skull so nobody goes over you on threat. With some groups you might need to mark every single next target, in a way of holding their hand :S

Um.....that's all I can think of for now. I hope that's helpful. Some of it is paladin specific, some of it is general tanking.

*EDIT* Just to point out as well, gear wise, though drops are random, crafts and rep items aren't. If you look up the different cata faction vendors you can work out some items to focus on going for, so you can cut out the RNG and fingers crossed for that drop you want. Also, don't be afraid to roll on multiple types of items for tanking - eg. Helmets. You can have one with Dodge & Parry if you're working on a high avoidance set (some bosses have forced low hit needs so that you can worry more about avoidance than threat or taunting), one with Parry & Hit (if you need your hit, and you're low), and one with Expertise if you're ever up against something that runs with Parry-Haste and needs you to get at least 26 Expertise (soft cap to make sure a mob doesn't dodge your swings). Mastery is your friend until 102.4% because for every 1 mastery point you get 2.25% block, as apposed to 1% dodge, or 1% parry for about the same number. Try to keep this balanced with your stamina as well as possible though, because you can't dodge/block/parry spells/magic as a paladin - that's what your resistances are for. So for big spell damage, you have to have some way of soaking it.

• Advertisement

^^Amazing post. Thanks for taking the time and effort for this. Superb information that gives me a primer for getting into
    the role.

Really appreciate this.

Advertisement