Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much money are you down with the new tax year?

• 05-01-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just had a look at my payslip for the first 2 weeks of this year. With all the budget changes I am going to be down €26 a week. Bloody hell. Thank god I have reduced my health insurance and got rid of Sky Movies/Sports.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

im a hooker. dont pay tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

80 down on rent credit, 180 on PAYE and 180 on single. Have lost the education relief as finished for now (but also don't have the expense)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just had half a small christmas bonus taxed away. Not looking forward to my payslip at the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

not too bad here, €3 a month

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I work for the UN so don't pay tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

About €13 per week on the payslip, also still have to factor in the Rent credit which I usually claim at the end of the year.

dory wrote: »
    I work for the UN so don't pay tax.

:eek:

Why are you exempt for working for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Don't know and wont know till the 25th, don't know how I'm going to surive until then...I think by then I'll be happy just to finally get paid:(

Won't know until the end of the month. That said, a very small christmas bonus was nearly wiped out in tax :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

€24 per week.

Have to give up the smokes now. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Know how you feel greyfox, got paid Dec 9th, don't get paid again till Jan 27th, needless to say that's a long 7 weeks!! (well it'll be a long 4 weeks, the first 3 were great!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Wondering the same thing myself....thought it was a joke or below the threshold or something.

If not then I know who I want to be a consultant for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Down €26.50 a week :mad:

But then I wasn't paying tax in the last few months of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

16 euro a week. Was scraping by trying to pay my way but tbh with the kids it will be easier to go on the dole for the whole family. Will have to consider my options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

€27 per week, Universal Social Charge me hole!

"Makey Uppy Way To Screw You With A Higher Tax To Pay For Fingers Fingleton And His Ilk Sun Golf Holidays Tax" more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

With a cut in mortage interest relief ,plus a cut in take home pay ......down 166 euro per month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

THall04 wrote: »
    With a cut in mortage interest relief ,plus a cut in take home pay ......down 166 euro per month

Im down 140 euro a month on TRS also. My mortgage is fixed until the end of this year so thats something I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

It's an international organisation. Not answerable to any one country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I won't know until the 25th when I'm paid but according to an online thingy that checks it out I will be down €2 a month based on the basic formula. When I tried the advanced formula in which I filled in loads of sprecifics about my pay and gratuities it said I'd be down €7 per month.

This can't be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

All of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I haven't been paid yet this year - end of the month as well - but it costs an extra €5 to fill the car with the increases in petrol, both tax and garages adding a bit.

Shouldnt be down too much as i earn fcuk all tho. Guessing all the over time i did at Christmas will be nicely taxed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Yeah, self-employed so going to get my ass kicked by the new tax increase.

Luxie wrote: »
    It's an international organisation. Not answerable to any one country.

As an employee you should still be liable for income tax in the jurisdiction that you work in, the organisation may be exempt (like charities for example) but that should not mean you are personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

could someone tell me as a paye earner, how does the usc charge work as a paye earner, is it based on your gross wage from last year in which case ill be paying the 7% a week of my gross wage or is it done on the scales of €10,036 @ 2% 10,037-€16,016@4% and anything over the €16k mark @7%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

8 quid off me scratcher. Will have to have one less pint on a monday and one less on a tuesday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

There was a calculator somewhere. I'm still not sure of it's accuracy but if it's correct I'm only down about 2-4E a week.

I really hope it's right!

Edit: http://www.redoaktaxrefunds.ie/budget-calculator-ireland - calculator

Taken from here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113137

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

I dont know yet
    whatever they take off me I'll just keep cutting back and cutting back :mad:

so more shops,pubs etc closing down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Strangely I'm up €4 per week after the changes. Not much consolation after taking a 20% pay cut though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Has the dole been cut from this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

skodacb wrote: »
    could someone tell me as a paye earner, how does the usc charge work as a paye earner, is it based on your gross wage from last year in which case ill be paying the 7% a week of my gross wage or is it done on the scales of €10,036 @ 2% 10,037-€16,016@4% and anything over the €16k mark @7%

I've been asking a similar question in work today without getting a satisfactory (to me) answer.
    I had assumed that it would be 2% up to 10k income, than would rise to 4% (in a Machiavellian plot at almost exactly the time FF lost the General Election), then to rise to 7% a couple of months later when gross income reached 16k.
    However today in work I was told that, in effect, they will gross my pay out over the year, aggregate the charge, then deduct that amount weekly.
    So what if I don't work a full year? Do I get a rebate and when? If I were a student who only worked the summer, do I have to wait until next January and then make a claim for my overpayment. Will usc payments appear on a P45 if I change jobs during the year?
    How many extra people is it going to take to administer these changes and at what cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bardcel

Dear Brian x 2

This morning I woke up hopeful looking forward to a "brave new year" then I checked my wages and immediately slumped into a depression. Not that I am criticizing, after all, when all is said and done, you probably have an answer already laid out for every objection I could possibly raise? How proud you must feel to hold your head held high when you yourself have an answer for life, the universe and "everything". I however, shuffled along to work this morning in my cracked "bargain" boots ashamed to look my fellow man and woman in the eye, finding no answer deep within. Thanks a lot for a job well done. Good on ye.

Yours in felicitations

Hagbard Celine

Island of Fernando Po
    Off the West Coast of Africa

P.S. Shoot me now please :D

(down enuff in my wages to feel the hurt)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Down a score:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

stoneill wrote: »
    €24 per week.

Have to give up the smokes now. :mad:

Get yourself a vaporizer:
    Click

I have no idea how much I'm down by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Haven't really looked into it.

By the sounds of it, I'll have to be a little more inventive with my tax returns this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Plumbers

Well I had a nice day today.....

Got my first payslip of the year. I have a weekly tax credit of €6.24 and a standard rate cut off of €344.54. I was taxed at 41% on anything above that! So your question "how much money are you down in the new tax year?"
    €106.20! Yes One Hundred & Six Euro & Twenty Cent

I've been told it's a cock up at tax office. It better be :mad:

With reference to USC (based on weekly pay)

1st €193 @ 2% = €3.86
    next €115 @ 4% = €4.60
    balance of your wage @ 7%

Not So Happy New Year People

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I never get taxed cause I don't get paid enough. But today I was taxed 3.30! I feel sick to the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I never get taxed cause I don't get paid enough. But today I was taxed 3.30! I feel sick to the stomach.

God love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

down about 25 a week in pay.
    get 500 a week , which is still plenty for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whats the story with 53 weeks.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/business/paye/guide/employers-guide-paye-calendars.html
    Weekly and monthly income tax calendars

Week no. Week ended
    30 December
    31 December - Where there is a payday
    slip today says "period 01, date 31/12/2010" and has the new taxes on it. But should this have been "period 53" with last years rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 m.kelly

Just checked my payslip for week 1. Down €36. Feckin goverment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭watsdstory22

MediumWell wrote: »
    There was a calculator somewhere. I'm still not sure of it's accuracy but if it's correct I'm only down about 2-4E a week.

I really hope it's right!

Edit: http://www.redoaktaxrefunds.ie/budget-calculator-ireland - calculator

Taken from here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113137

That calculator surely cant be right??
    From that if someone earning €30,000 it says they are now +€2 and for someone earning €22,000 they are down €65 a month????

I'm up a fiver a week according to that calculator

fine by me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Zero, because i don't expect any income this january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

And that's sadly why people on lower wages should get taxed - because it'll give you the incentive to demand better government from those who are taking and spending your money. Bertie Ahern is going to have to survive on 120k a year of taxpayers money - it needs 700 people like you to pay for his pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Raped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

none of your dam business ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

Down 58 a fortnight....thats the health insurance gone im afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Plumbers wrote: »
    Well I had a nice day today.....

Got my first payslip of the year. I have a weekly tax credit of €6.24 and a standard rate cut off of €344.54. I was taxed at 41% on anything above that! So your question "how much money are you down in the new tax year?"
    €106.20! Yes One Hundred & Six Euro & Twenty Cent

I've been told it's a cock up at tax office. It better be :mad:

With reference to USC (based on weekly pay)

1st €193 @ 2% = €3.86
    next €115 @ 4% = €4.60
    balance of your wage @ 7%

Not So Happy New Year People

The tax office have made loads of f*ck ups with the new tax credit certificates. I do wages for about 20 clients, so about 70/80 employees, and at least 10% of the tax credit certificates we received were wrong. A lot of people's certs showed that their tax credits and cut off points were zero and when we got them to ring the tax office they told the employees that they'd made a mistake and will re-issue their tax credits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement